PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project

Juliana Costa
10-13-2009, 4:55 PM
Hello Everyone, Just me again posting some photos of our latest model, tips and ideas are very welcome ! Thanks !

Bill Jermyn
10-13-2009, 5:17 PM
Hey, how about giving US some tips and ideas! :-)

Frank Corker
10-13-2009, 5:50 PM
They are really cool. Where did you get the giant dog?

Bill Cunningham
10-13-2009, 8:13 PM
They are really cool. Where did you get the giant dog?

Taco Bell:D

Cool Building!

Dan Hintz
10-13-2009, 8:32 PM
Holy crap, that is the most realistic-looking Chihuahua model I've ever seen... not quite to scale, but I'm willing to forgive :p

David Harvey
10-13-2009, 8:36 PM
Wow!

How 'bout some details! What material did you use, how long did it take, what did you use to do the design with, was this for pleasure or for a client, were you hansomly compensated, more , more and more...please...

Great job!

Thank you!

Dave

Juliana Costa
10-13-2009, 9:05 PM
Bill u got it, taco bell had a special on giant chihuahuas the other day and i didnt resist :-)

And Dan, after u said i notice that it was a little off scale, but since its done and looks real, i guess ill keep that way but promise to change on the Bulldog im building now hehe !

David, we used Wood, Mirrors, Wires, Paint, Tile, just basic stuff, nothing really different, it took about a week, my dad build/sell houses, it was for a client that gave him a piece of paper full of ideas, and it was up to us to convert to a model, we did it and the first words out of his mouth when he saw was " just build it " , since we closed the deal, i truly believe it was worth the effort !

Bob Cole
10-14-2009, 1:21 AM
More tips to us would be good. I haven't tackled a model yet but always thought it would be fun to do.

What kind of wood is the house made of?

Stuart Orrell
10-14-2009, 2:41 AM
Great work Juliana,

Its good to see how your models sealed the deal.

I work in 3d, mostly consumer products on a computer. The computer is great for ironing out early issues but it is when clients see physical models that a real wow factor comes into play.

Sometimes, I think this generation is getting way too locked into the "virtual world" and when they do see real physical models it goes a long way towards them understanding if the final product is good or bad.

We have started to get more physical models early on in the design process to judge reaction to aesthetics and ergonomics. We then engineer the preferred version virtually, then make a functional prototype to test, then commit to production tooling.

So, to cut a long story short, I think there are more opportunities and use for model making if applied correctly in the development stages of products.

Sometimes there are knock on bonuses too. A recent client became aware of my lasers capabilities and next thing, I was making acrylic jigs for them to use when programming their PCB's.

Well done! That is a great application for lasers machines.

onur cakir
10-14-2009, 4:36 AM
Cool&clean work !

You must be checking www.freshome.com (http://www.freshome.com) a lot :cool:

I simply admire those residence designs !

-edit-do i see a half naked male body on window/picture 3 !!??

Rodne Gold
10-14-2009, 4:55 AM
Julia , thats great work , my Co does a lot of models , mostly big developments and film set stuff , if you need any help at all don't hesitate to contact me.

David Fairfield
10-14-2009, 8:21 AM
The mirrors glued to the surface are fine for the purpose of demonstrating where the windows go, but somehow look a little unfriendly to me. Like the resident is hiding behind that 2 way mirror stuff the cops use in interrogations.

If you're using a laser to cut the parts anyway, I'd recommend making window openings on the walls, with separate window frames inserted or applied to the reverse. Not much extra work but really improves the finished look. I do architectural models, too.

Dave

Juliana Costa
10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Thank u so much for the comments everyone ! Stuart, what can i say ? u said it all, 100% agreed !

Onur, that website is new for me but WOW, thats exactly my style and what i try to design with, Glass, Lights, Colors, Modern Style, Thanks for Sharing and u can bet my next one will have many ideas from there ! Thanks

Thanks Rodne, will do :-)

Juliana Costa
10-14-2009, 10:49 AM
The mirrors glued to the surface are fine for the purpose of demonstrating where the windows go, but somehow look a little unfriendly to me. Like the resident is hiding behind that 2 way mirror stuff the cops use in interrogations.

If you're using a laser to cut the parts anyway, I'd recommend making window openings on the walls, with separate window frames inserted or applied to the reverse. Not much extra work but really improves the finished look. I do architectural models, too.

Dave

I understand what u r saying, as u can see on the previous pics on Chuck post, i had it cut out, with windows and everything, but this one, thats exactly how the final project its going to look, everything mirrored, client request ! :-) supposedly thats kind of modern/contemporary style, i dont know !

Its nice to find someone else here that also do Architectural Models, i would love to see some of your projects too !

Doug Griffith
10-14-2009, 2:52 PM
Mid-Century-Modern is one of my weaknesses. The model you built definitely has this influence. Cool.

You may want to add Legos to your arsenal:
http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/2009/06/replicas-of-eames-corbusier-and.html

Cheers,
Doug

Juliana Costa
10-14-2009, 3:19 PM
Mid-Century-Modern is one of my weaknesses. The model you built definitely has this influence. Cool.

You may want to add Legos to your arsenal:
http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/2009/06/replicas-of-eames-corbusier-and.html

Cheers,
Doug

I want a Lego nowwww !!! i knew about ships, animals, castles and stuff, but didnt know they had those, im clicking on submit reply and opening EbaY :-D

Stuart Orrell
10-14-2009, 3:41 PM
OK, slightly rambling off topic here but LEGO was mentioned.
Well, here's a lego house for you.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEYWT0RbPrc

Yes eccentricity is still going strong here in the British Isles and I thought necessity was the mother of invention.......Sometimes its just good to do something because.........well......."hmmmm.....what if......."

I think it's demolished now because the vineyard wanted its land back......yes another eccentric idea....a vineyard....in England.