PDA

View Full Version : OT (a bit) for people who watch NCIS

Eric Westerman
10-13-2009, 2:43 PM
Do any of you have any idea how Gibbs gets his boats out of the basement? I am pretty darn curious.

Eric
Greensboro NC
Woodworkers Store (http://woodworker.com/)

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-13-2009, 3:43 PM
I could ask my wife - I'm pretty sure it was actually mentioned in one show.

Bill Arnold
10-13-2009, 3:59 PM
The boat will be in the basement until the final scene of the final episode. Gibbs will be seen sailing into the sunset in a boat as the closing credits roll. But, is it the boat from the basement?

:confused:

Brian Kent
10-13-2009, 5:26 PM
I think he said in one episode that this is his third boat? I am pretty sure they have left it as a mystery how he gets it out.

My wife says he tears them down and builds a new one. He does it for he release, now for having a boat. She saw it in an episode.

I have a theory. He's just a TV character on a set and doesn't really build boats in his basement. Nah, that would be too simple.

Josh Reet
10-13-2009, 5:30 PM
I was always under the impression that he tears them down and starts another one. Mostly due to the "3rd boat" statement that Brian references above.

Mark P. Brown
10-13-2009, 6:58 PM
He goes to the set for Honey I shrank the kids and uses their equipment so he can just carry it up the stairs then reverse the process.
Mark

paul cottingham
10-13-2009, 7:29 PM
I can't remember where I read this, but he builds them, then busts them up once he is finished the boat. Apparently the actor who plays Gibbs is an avid woodworker and even uses his own tools in the show.

Doug Shepard
10-13-2009, 7:45 PM
My uncle actually knows someone that spent 3-4 years on and off in a basement workshop working on an elaborate boat (maybe canoe?). He had the width measured out carefully and it was supposed to go out no problem. Once it was finally done he discovered he'd forgotten to measure something about the stairs (maybe the overhead angle or turn at the top of the stairs or something). Anyway it went back down to the shop where it sat for quite a long while before he finally cut it up to get it out. Ouch.

Mac McQuinn
10-13-2009, 7:51 PM
I believe the design of Gibb's boat is actually from Glen-L. Seems like the last couple episodes show a empty basement with just tools laying around as if the boat had been recently removed.

Mac

David Gendron
10-14-2009, 1:31 AM
It happened to my dad a long time ago, he was building a huge book case and whe it was all done... he had to dissmentel the steps one by one until the book case would fit the opening of the stair case!!!

Eric Westerman
10-14-2009, 8:32 AM
I was always under the impression that he tears them down and starts another one. Mostly due to the "3rd boat" statement that Brian references above.

That may be the case, but it's never actually been revealed. Everybody asks him about once a year and he just gives them a look.

Eric
Greensboro NC

Eric Westerman
10-14-2009, 8:33 AM
The boat will be in the basement until the final scene of the final episode. Gibbs will be seen sailing into the sunset in a boat as the closing credits roll. But, is it the boat from the basement?

:confused:

The basement was empty when this season started. It's confused the hell out of all of his co-workers (and obviously me). This is either the third or the fourth boat that he has started.

Eric
Greensboro NC

phil harold
10-14-2009, 8:43 AM
I had a friend that built an airplane in his basement
when he was done they dugout the the foundation on the gable side removed the foundation wall

He still says it was cheaper than renting a shop for 10 years, plus he has a walkout basement now...

Marty Rose
10-14-2009, 9:38 AM
Having worked in The Industry for twenty some years, IT'S CALLED SMOKE AND MIRRIORS.

Eric Westerman
10-16-2009, 8:27 AM
Having worked in The Industry for twenty some years, IT'S CALLED SMOKE AND MIRRIORS.

I refuse to believe that it's not a documentary filmed in real time.

Eric
Greensboro NC

Scott Velie
10-17-2009, 1:05 PM
Eric, I've got this bridge for sale --------

randall rosenthal
10-23-2009, 9:44 PM
it happend to me. not in my shop but the installation in an apartment in the city. three floor to ceiling bookcases. couldnt make the turn from the service elevator so i cut them in half right there .

as to the boat.....its not a real boat and its not a real basement BUT...anything is possible.....people walked on the moon. you're talking about moving a boat.

Denny Rice
10-24-2009, 5:30 AM
Do any of you have any idea how Gibbs gets his boats out of the basement? I am pretty darn curious.

Eric
Greensboro NC

He is actually working on his 4th boat. Each one for each represents a marriage and the destruction or deconstruction of the boat(s) represents a divorce in his life. The first boat was "finished twice" according to Gibbs in the show. He finished the first boat about the same time of his first divorce- then finished it again. The third boat was named after his 3rd wife "Diane" and instead of selling the boat or changing its name he set it on fire and destroyed it because he said in the show "I could not stand the thought of anyone else sailing Diane". One of his co-workers ask him one time how did you get the boat out of here, there was never a direct answer

Steve Jenkins
10-24-2009, 6:48 PM
I had a friend that built an airplane in his basement
when he was done they dugout the the foundation on the gable side removed the foundation wall

He still says it was cheaper than renting a shop for 10 years, plus he has a walkout basement now...

When my dad was a kid they built a boat in the basement and did the same thing to get it out

Alan Zenreich
11-05-2009, 7:56 AM
In this past week's episode, one of his boats was found floating with a couple of dead bodies in it.

Abby is quite puzzled about how he got the boat out, and how she was going to do the forensic work on it without tearing up the boat. Gibbs gave her some advice that helped her with the investigation... <vbg>

Jim O'Dell
11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I was just going to say that. This particular boat's name was Kelly. Was that the first wife's name, or the daughter's name? Wife I think. So they weren't built in chronological order. Maybe descending order? I agree with the thought that they weren't removed from the basement, just destroyed and starts the next one. The one we know made it out was for his God Daughter. He made no hesitation for Abby to destroy it.
My favorite show by the way. I have watched 4 or 5 reruns even this week. Just finished one, and had to take a break from the next one. And here I am talking about NCIS!!:D Jim.

Mark Hix
11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
OK, if you caught the show this week, you saw the completed boat. He gave the last on to his friend Mike Franks.....Mike put a couple of bodies in it and sent it back....sort of. they cut it up after that. It was a cool boat.

Jim Rimmer
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Towards the end of the episode Abby was cutting the boat into sections with a chainsaw and still trying to figure out how he got it out.

Maybe they monitor SMC and thought it would be a good idea to put this subplot in the show. :rolleyes:

Tom Giles
11-21-2009, 9:32 AM
I'm just happy Hollywood is showing a woodworker in a positive light. For Gibbs it's the respect for the tools, technique and wood that is important not so much the finished product.

Allan Froehlich
11-22-2009, 3:37 PM
I'm just happy Hollywood is showing a woodworker in a positive light. For Gibbs it's the respect for the tools, technique and wood that is important not so much the finished product.

Funny you say that. My friend was commenting on the similarity between my passion for woodworking and that of the "bad guy" in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds (2000). No, us woodworkers are not pending entrance to the looney bin.

Bud Millis
12-20-2009, 1:56 AM
Its Hollywood. They will write it out of the basement. On a couple of shows, more recent ones, we see the basement and its empty. Then we will see some shows that it is back.

Christopher Pine
12-20-2009, 9:45 AM
is called the minnow3 and will sail to Gilligans Island in the final episode. :)

I have experienced a little of the "smoke and Mirrors" that was mentioned. I work at Buckley AFB, formerly ANG base. Years ago now a made for tv movie called Asteroid was partly filmed there. The stuff they made for this movie was hilarious. I seen ti first hand. The weapon they build from furnace parts to load on one of our f-16's was funny looking at best but I got to hand it to them when it was on the screen it actually didn't look half bad. The movie was aweful by the way but it is fun for me to see becaus esome of m friends are extras in it and I know where to watch for the discrepencies in the movie.

Sorry if this kindof diverts the thread.

hout slager
12-20-2009, 5:15 PM
wish I had his basement :( maybe in a year or 2 I;ll have a shop agin :)

hs
wants ncis dvds for my crimbo socks :)

curtis rosche
12-20-2009, 9:26 PM
i have a friend who actually started building a plane in his bedroom, then moved it to the basement, then moved it to the garage

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Last week he was building wooden Christmas gifts for needy kids. Gibbs father was in the show, and helped finish and deliver the gifts. Nice sub story. Jim.

Steven Fox
09-04-2010, 2:57 PM
He answered that question in one episode.

Denozo asked: How do you plan to get it out of here?

Gibbs: Break the bottle!

Charlie Stone
10-28-2010, 2:13 PM
I read somewhere on the Glen-L site that the particular model was designed that it could be disassembled. Not sure just how that works, but, I know I saw that at one point.

Wade Lippman
10-28-2010, 2:23 PM

Eric
Greensboro NC

In one episode he says he opens the wall up. I don't know how practical that is, but that is what he said.