PDA

View Full Version : Help with a griz bandsaw please...

Rob Hermann
10-13-2009, 2:41 PM
I have a G0555 14 inch bandsaw with the riser block installed. I have read dozens of threads on tensioning the blade but I'm still not sure about this. When I start cranking on it looking at the tensioner on the saw it just seems WAY too tight. I'm I just a scaredy cat or is that indicator pretty close? I'd like to start using this I bought it in March and have still not really done anything with it. What is your suggestion? Thank you for any advice.

Josiah Bartlett
10-13-2009, 3:22 PM
Search for the "flutter method" of blade tensioning. You back off the guides and run the saw while loosening the tension, then once the blade starts to flutter you tighten it back down a certain amount. I'll admit that it is a bit intimidating putting tension on a blade, especially on a bigger saw. Keep the doors shut so if the blade walks off the wheels you don't get hurt.

On my 16" Walker Turner saw I don't have a gauge, so I just use the flutter method to tension, then I pluck the blade like a guitar string and remember what it sounds like. I am blessed with pretty good pitch memory, though. A properly tensioned blade rings out a clear note. One that is too loose emits a dull thud. One that is too tight breaks and flattens your tires.

Stephen Edwards
10-13-2009, 6:11 PM
I have a G0555 14 inch bandsaw with the riser block installed. I have read dozens of threads on tensioning the blade but I'm still not sure about this. When I start cranking on it looking at the tensioner on the saw it just seems WAY too tight. I'm I just a scaredy cat or is that indicator pretty close? I'd like to start using this I bought it in March and have still not really done anything with it. What is your suggestion? Thank you for any advice.

When you first assembled the saw did you make sure to follow the directions closely for installing the blade and properly setting up the tension release lever? I ask because I missed part of the directions when I first set mine up. Works much better properly set up!

Different folks like different tension settings for their blade. If it's running true on the wheels find the spot that works well for you.

When I first started resawing my blade was tensioned really tight. Worked fine. Later, I read someone else's preference, Glenn Bradley if I remember correctly, to not have it so tight. After trying it like that, that's now my preferred method, too.

Again, try it till you find what you like. As Josiah suggested, the flutter method is a good way to do it, with the doors closed! If you're still nervous about that, stand on the side of the saw opposite the doors. Give yourself plenty of jump back room just for your own peace of mind. You'll get the hang of it.

Myk Rian
10-13-2009, 7:16 PM
The tension gauge markings on the saw mean absolutely nothing. Tension by the flutter method and use a sharpie on the tension gauge to make a mark for each blade.

Rob Hermann
10-14-2009, 9:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give this a shot tonight. I appreciate the help!

Paul Ryan
10-14-2009, 2:59 PM
Rob,

I have the same saw and have had really good luck with the flutter method. Make sure you are using good blades. The grizzly blades are pieces of junk. I had used timberwolf blades that are good but have since switched to laguna blades, and IMOH those are the cat's behind.

As others have said the tension guage means nothing, most of my blades when properly tensioner don't even come close to what the guage says then tension should be.

Back off all of your guides and loosen the knob enough to get the blade on, then put the blade on and flip the quick tension lever to put a little tension on. Then I adjust tracking by hand spining the upper wheel. Once you get that right, tighten the knob a few more turns and then start up the saw. Watch the blade if it flutters, crank some more tension untill it stops, then go about 1 turn tighter than fluttering. If it isn't flutter when you start it up back it off until it starts then tighten it up 1 turn. My 5/8" blades will be down in the 1/8" blade for tension on the guage but the saw cuts so smoothly resawing. I have never had any issues with drift using this method. If you don't have drift then you have the blade tensioned correctly.

Good Luck

Eddie Darby
10-14-2009, 9:38 PM
Flutter method.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/power/bandsaw-blade-tension-flutter-method/

If you are using the machine a lot,and the blade starts to heat up some, then add a 1/4 turn or two to take up some of the expansion from the heat.

Release the tension by counting the number of turns so you can get back to cutting faster next time you have some work to do.