PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Duplicator

Darrin Davis
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I just finished using our new Delta Lathe Duplicator on our Delta 14" Lathe. It took a day or 2 of frustration figuring out the parts the users guide doesn't describe in great detail. Now it works perfect and I really want to make a set of legs for a coffee table.

My question is, is there a place on the net that people can share templates for this duplicator? I made one template and made exact measurement for future templates to go by for where to drill the hole, where the center line is, etc. Also, it would be neat to see some turned by duplicator finished legs posted to this post.

Thanks

Paul Atkins
10-13-2009, 2:32 PM
I've used mine twice, and both times could have made them faster and cleaner by hand. Setting up was not too problematic but the sharpening and cutting so many passes was a bit frustrating. I have two 46-408 duplicators - one hooked up to a Delta 1460 lathe. One thing I learned (obvious to some) was the cutter has to have the same profile as the tracer. The guy who had it before sharpened it to a point which did not work. Here are some spindles I turned for an old theater. I turned 16 side table legs too but I didn't get any pictures because I was so frustrated. Anyway, there has to be a use for these machines, but I haven't found it yet.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-13-2009, 4:37 PM
Nice legs.

Groan. I never thought I'd say that to a guy....

Jim Underwood
10-13-2009, 9:39 PM
I turn 'em by hand. I use a pattern and a parting tool. Unless they are really bad copies or they are right next to each other, no one is going to notice.

Can you get a decent cut with these duplicators? I always figured they had a lot of tearout.

Marvin Hasenak
10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I make game calls, a good duplicator would be something I could use. Key word is "good". The ones I have seen would make better anchors for a boat than a good duplicator.