PDA

View Full Version : Boosting laptop wifi broadcast signal

Darren Null
10-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I just found this out today. There's been a few occasions -mostly when trying for some free wifi- when the signal has been banging in at 3 bars out of 5; but I can't connect. It turns out that manufacturers turn the wifi broadcast power down out of the box; because it helps battery time and looks better in the sales figures.

So in Device Manager; Network Adapters; Your WiFi adapter...right click on the adapter, and select Properties. Varies from machine to machine, apparently, but I found mine under Power Management...and sure enough, it was turned right down.

You might find this handy. Useful to know, anyway.

Dave Johnson29
10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
So in Device Manager; Network Adapters; Your WiFi adapter...right click on the adapter, and select Properties. Varies from machine to machine, apparently, but I found mine under Power Management...and sure enough, it was turned right down.

Darren,

I think you will find that is transmit power and not receive. Receive has a very low quiescent load. Also, 3 bars is more than enough for a good connection. More bars does not necessarily mean more speed.

Mike Henderson
10-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I think Darren's point is that the WiFi node is transmitting at full power (it wouldn't make sense to do otherwise and those are usually plugged in). If you only get three bars at your laptop, the signal is a bit weak. Since WiFi is symmetrical, that probably means your signal (at full power) is only being received by the node at three bars. If you're transmitting at less than full power, your signal is weaker to the node.

However, most Internet access is lots of data down and a small amount up so if your speed is limited upstream you probably won't notice it, which is why the laptop people may reduce the transmit power.

Mike

Darren Null
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
I think you will find that is transmit power and not receive.
Sorry, I thought I was more clear than that. Yes, boosting laptop broadcast signal.

The point I was making was that I've more than once received clearly, but been unable to signal my internet intentions back to the router. I'd always put it down to cheap laptop antennae or similar before. Until today I hadn't realised that:
1) Manufacturers set the broadcast signal deliberately low and
2) It's possible to crank it up at need.

Randal Stevenson
10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Sorry, I thought I was more clear than that. Yes, boosting laptop broadcast signal.

The point I was making was that I've more than once received clearly, but been unable to signal my internet intentions back to the router. I'd always put it down to cheap laptop antennae or similar before. Until today I hadn't realised that:
1) Manufacturers set the broadcast signal deliberately low and
2) It's possible to crank it up at need.

What OS? Did you see any profile buttons, that would allow it to switch automatically, based on if it is plugged in or not?

Darren Null
10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
XP. The power setting on my laptop is buried in the advanced tab of the network adapter driver in Device Manager. It had a tickbox to allow me to use the power slider which was set at the bottom end.

Dave Johnson29
10-14-2009, 11:26 AM
XP. The power setting on my laptop is buried in the advanced tab of the network adapter driver in Device Manager. It had a tickbox to allow me to use the power slider which was set at the bottom end.

With Vista it is in the same place but it has a "Full Power" list-option and you can select 25%, 50% 75% 100%. The default is 100% on my Acer laptop.