PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster Drum Sander ?????

Tony Bilello
10-13-2009, 8:04 AM
I need a wide drum sander and unless I find something in the used market, I will have to buy a new one.
I was looking online at the Woodmaster website and saw the Woodmaster 50" drum sander at what i consider a fairly reasonable pirce.
Not being familiar with Woodmaster Tools I have 2 questions.
1) Does anyone here have any experience with Woodmaster Drum Sanders?
2) The 50" single drum sander is $3200 and the double drum sander is $5K. Quite a dfference in price. Does anyone here have any experience with their single drum sanders vs. double drum sanders?

Even with a double drum sander, I still will only use the same 80 grit on both drums but that would also cut my sanding time in half. Is the extra $1800 worth the difference? I dont mind spending it if I have to.

I am currently offshore in the Gulf of Mex so I have time to make a decision.

Chris Rosenberger
10-13-2009, 8:19 AM
I have been using a Woodmaster 38" single drum sander for over 18 years. I have sanded thousands of board feet of lumber & it has worked very well. I have not seen or used the double drum sander.

Rob Cunningham
10-13-2009, 9:00 AM
I've had a Woodmaster 26" single drum sander for 6 years. I have run hundreds of table tops, cabinet sides, and RP doors through it and never had a problem with the machine other than wishing I had a wider one. It's a very well built piece of equipment. Not as fast as a wide belt sander but it works well for me.
No experience with a double drum model.

Ed Labadie
10-13-2009, 9:14 AM
Very pleased with my 38" Woodmaster single drum machine.

Sorry, no help here on the double drum machine.

IIRC, Woodmaster can refer you to an owner in your area for reference. When you get back to dry land that is. :p

Ed

Mike Heidrick
10-13-2009, 9:27 AM
50" seems huge to me. How many times will you need that large? Can you rent time on a local cabinet makers widebelt if you do not do that wide much?

Have you been scouring for a used machine. Sanders are usually an item that does not hold its value much in the used market so you can find deals.

Tony Bilello
10-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Its nice to know that everyone likes their single drum sander. I'm impressed. Now I wonder if the double drum is worth the extra money.

Mike, 50" is huge but if I have it I will use it. Also when putting several pieces through at a time, by using the whole width of the machine, I can go longer without changing paper. I'm starting up a small woodworking business.....again!!!. LOL. Anytime you dont have to stop what you are doing and go somewhere else you are way ahead of the game cost wise.
I have also been looking for used machines. If I get a really good deal on a 24" drum sander I will jump on it. If I have to buy new I will get the 50".
A 50" sander will enhance my capabilities. I only design furniture based on the tools I own or have ready access to.

Bruce Page
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Another "go for it" vote. I have the 2675 single drum and it has also been bullet proof.

I haven't used a double drum.

Jim Tobias
10-13-2009, 1:06 PM
I have had the 38" single drum Woodmaster for about 8 or 9 years. No problems. I use it a lot on figured woods in place of my planer. I am only a hobbyist but also use the entire width to get more pieces thorugh on each run. I could see the additional width(with the 50") being useful even if you only put 2 different grits on the drum.

jim

Neal Clayton
10-13-2009, 1:44 PM
and one thing about woodmaster tony, is don't take the price listed for granted. they advertise a high price to the general public but are more than willing to deal on those prices, especially on returns, scratch/dents, and such.

i have one of their molders, and get ads in the mail all the time from them offering me a deals on a second one for anywhere from 2/3 to 1/2 price.

Paul Johnstone
10-13-2009, 1:46 PM
Even with a double drum sander, I still will only use the same 80 grit on both drums but that would also cut my sanding time in half. Is the extra $1800 worth the difference? I dont mind spending it if I have to.

I am not sure why you'd use 80 grit. I was told by a Klingspore guy that wood coming of the planer is roughly equivalent to 100 grit.. I used to use lower grits.. His point was that you are just putting deeper scratches to take out. I only use 60/80 grit now if I have a panel that is too wide for the planer, and I'm forced to use the drum sander to "level" it.

I am just trying to help here, not being critical of your plans. I hope no offense is taken.

But if you have the money for the double drum, I say you should do it. I have a double drum Supermax. I put 120 grit on the first roll and 150/180 on the second and get a great finish coming out.

Paul Johnstone
10-13-2009, 1:48 PM
Another note.. I got a mailing from woodmaster about a big sale they are having. Got the mailing about a week or two ago. You might want to call and inquire about the current sale. Sorry, but I tossed the mailing.

Tony Bilello
10-13-2009, 2:03 PM
Thanks for all the info. It is greatly appreciated especially the pricing part.
Paul, the Kilingspore guy is off by a little - on the low side. Most stuff coming out of the planer is smooth as a baby's butt. I was planning on using the sander mostly for stuff too large for my 20" planer. I really dont see myself with anything wider than 50" but if I do, I know where to take it.
Anyway, here are some pics from my home away from home. Been warm (86-88) with little to no breeze.

Bruce Page
10-13-2009, 3:20 PM
Cool pics. Wood must be really expensive out there!

Sam Layton
10-14-2009, 3:33 AM
Tony, I have a Performax 37" double drum sander. I don't know that I would buy the Performax again. It is a very good sander, but the belt is hard to keep tracking properly.

I like the double drum. I can run one or both drums. I use 80 on the first and 100 on the second. Works good for me. I am out of the 100 right now, so I have just been using the 80. I will order more paper in the next few days. I would recommend the double drum. On the 50" will there be a problem with flex in the middle?

Make sure you have excellent dust collections. My sander came with two 4" ports. I opened them up to two 6" ports with a 3 HP cyclone. What a difference. The dust is sucked away immediately. Helps keep the paper good.

Good luck, Sam

richard poitras
10-14-2009, 6:28 AM
Tony, Woodmaster is also offering free shipping this month on any of there machines, per the e-mail I got from them. Good luck in your choice.

Richard

Tony Bilello
10-14-2009, 6:50 AM
I'm convinced. Now if I can just pull the $$$ out of a hat. I recently went back into the woodworking business somewhat full time. Somewhat meaning that when I'm not offshore I am in my shop. I lost everything in Hurricane Katrina 4 years ago and am starting from zero. I have so much to buy it's hard to know where to start. I have been buying tools as I need them. Fortunately I have friends in the business that invite me to use their tools anytime for no charge. It comes in handy, but I dont like to use other peoples stuff and I lose time traveling.
Last time I went home, I bought a 20" planer and an 8" joiner. The time before that was a 16' box truck. Right now I am working for the business. Hopefully, soon the business will be working for me.
Anyway here is another Gulf shot. I took this last evening around 6PM