PDA

View Full Version : help me identify these two chisels

Adam Woznicki
10-13-2009, 6:27 AM
I was hoping you folks could help me identify these two chisels.

I picked them up along with a 1 1/4" Greenlee (with a hole drilled in it) for $4.00.

The 3/8" one is a Keen Kutter but I'd like to know how old it is. The name is on a scroll. The only thing I could find said that the scroll logo was used before 1900. They also said that these are sometimes worth real money.
I find it hard to believe that this one is worth more than a user, but I'll hold off using it till I get some feed back.

The bottom one (1") only says "AKE SIDE EXTRA", umm, ok, what?:confused:

They both have a W stamped on the right side. I assume this is the owners mark.

I also assume that neither of these handles are original?

Joshua Clark
10-13-2009, 7:41 AM
That would be a "Lakeside" chisel. Lakeside was a hardware dealer who provided tools to Montgomery Ward. They made saws for sure. I don't know if they made chisels o simply re-branded other makers'. It probably dates to the early part of the 20th century.

Josh

Jim Koepke
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Lakeside's brand also appeared on planes.

For a chisel, real money is usually not much more than $20 or $30.
If you have a full set of unused chisels, then the price may be more.
Many of my chisels are Buck Brothers or Witherby. Those are considered top brands. I use them all the time. I also buy short ones to put together a butt chisel set.

I also buy some beaters incase work needs to be done on some unknown wood. A nick in the edge of a cheap old Craftsman doesn't cause as much remorse as a nick in the edge of a better chisel.

It is almost impossible to have too many chisels.

jim

Adam Woznicki
10-13-2009, 1:52 PM
Thanks guys, "Lakeside" makes a lot more sense then "ake side".:D

Any idea what years Keen Kutter used the scroll logo?

Joshua Clark
10-13-2009, 9:57 PM
According to Wikipedia, the scroll logo was used prior to 1900. The page doesn't provide any references or further documentation though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keen_Kutter

Josh