PDA

View Full Version : Home School wood shop - Week 3

Dave Sharpe
10-13-2009, 2:33 AM
This is a little late (had to go out of town for a family emergency of sorts) but this past week's class went well. Had the boys over for their weekly woodshop class and had them making bookends, which allowed them to do some simple metalwork (shaping 1/8" thick steel on a sander) and use a router table to rout edges on wooden pieces. I learned to relax and not worry if we completed the project in one session as planned, and the boys worked together well to share the tools and work safely. ( I think I'm learning as much as the boys do). They also each presented thier ideas for a "semester project" to completed over the next month or two. This week we will work on those designs more and develop some measured drawings, and finish the bookend projects. More later........

Pat Zabrocki
10-13-2009, 9:55 AM
...a family emergency of sorts........

the first words that jumped out at me were those above. Thought maybe you or the boys had a mishap.

This is without a doubt some very good stuf for these kids. Can't say enough nice things about what your doing, keep it up, you are truly one of the good guys.

Hope all is well with you family.
Pat

Dave Sharpe
10-13-2009, 10:42 PM
nope - not me or the boys at all - but an old friend from another state had a death in his family and needed a little support, so I hopped on a plane to spend some time with him. That's all.

Thanks for your nice comments and support. It's a pleasure to share my love of woodworking, and my limited skills with a few representatives of the next generation.

Dave

Wayne Cannon
10-14-2009, 3:24 AM
Just a note to thank you for posting your experience as you progress through this venture. It's something I've always wanted to do, and your words and tips may be just the impetus I need to get off the dime.

GERALD HARGROVE
10-14-2009, 9:44 AM
It is good to see you and them progressing. I have two girls, and my oldest loves to be in my shop. I am looking forward to the time when I can start teaching her the love of wood working. Keep us posted on the progress.