PDA

View Full Version : split nut for hand saw

David Christopher
10-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Im making handle for a hand saw and in need for the bolts / screws/ split nut or whatever their called... Ive seen them on the lee valley site but cant find them now...could someone help pleeeeeeeease

thanks

Phillip Pattee
10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't think I've ever seen them at Lee Valley. You can buy the Gramercy ones from Tools for Working Wood, or you can buy some from Mike Wenzloff. Alternatively, you can check out Norse Woodsmith for a tutorial to make your own.

Frank Drew
10-12-2009, 11:16 PM
David, if all else fails, I think bookbinders use a similar screw.

Gary Herrmann
10-13-2009, 7:18 AM
I've also seen people selling medallions and nuts on the bay.

Bob Smalser
10-13-2009, 9:39 AM
In new hardware they are called "sex bolts". Dunno anyone who sells onesey-twosey, but they are available by the box.

If you just need 3-5 traditional, brass Disston sawbolts recovered from old saws, mail me a small padded SASE and state whether you want large or small. None of mine are split.

David Christopher
10-13-2009, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys...I called Lee Valley today and the have the split nuts ( no medalions ) for less than 4 dollars for a box of 4.....BTW if you have never called Lee Valley, you should..they are the nicest people that I have delt with in years, and no computer telephone....when you call a person answers ( amazing )