PDA

View Full Version : wood gloat

Dennis Ford
10-12-2009, 9:21 PM
A friend brought over a chunk of wood for me yesterday, he called it "Planera aquatica". I am sure that I butchered the spelling. This wood has a LOT of character. The chunk had several piths, I cut through the three largest and got two triangular pieces. One of them is now a hollow form. Once it dries and gets sanded, I will post a better picture.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2009, 9:32 PM
Great looking wood and HF looks pretty good.

Steve Schlumpf
10-12-2009, 9:32 PM
Sure is some pretty wood Dennis! Had to Google the name as I was not familiar with it - found out it is also called a Water Elm. Huh..... not familiar with that name either! Sure looks pretty though!

Looking forward to seeing your hollow form once it gets finished!

Matt Newton
10-12-2009, 9:35 PM
That looks like beautiful wood. I had to look it up, and it's called water elm. How was it to turn?

Steve Mawson
10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Can't get much better than that. Good looking wood and better yet-FREE. HF looks like a keeper for sure. Looking forward to finished picture.

Eugene Wigley
10-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Dennis, that's some good looking wood. I also like the hollow form.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Does it smell :rolleyes: :p,
It does look rather nice Dennis, none of the woods I'm familiar with smell or have an odor when dry, nice job on the HF also :cool: :D

alex carey
10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
looks nice, looking forward to it being sanded and finished. I know its not but it reminds me a bit of olive.