PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly power tools

Tim Gaines
10-12-2009, 7:16 PM
Contemplating purchasing a 12 inch jointer and a 20 inch planner both grizzlys with helical heads. Would I be happy with this purchase?

John Keeton
10-12-2009, 7:26 PM
Tim, first welcome to the creek!!

The short answer to your question is no... but, I would be happy with them so just use my shipping address on the order!!;)

Most who have Griz tools (me included) feel they represent good value, and that customer service is great. The owner is a member here, and frequently posts. There are those that prefer other brands, but you did not ask for a comparison, or whether others might recommend something else.

I do not have the tools you reference, but I do have a Griz tablesaw, bandsaw, planer and jointer - and, I love all of them.

glenn bradley
10-12-2009, 7:28 PM
I would do search here on the specific models but, based on my experience, I would say yes. If your experience runs to Felder or Northfield, I would say yes but add "for the price".

Tom Winship
10-12-2009, 8:08 PM
Tim, last winter I bought my first Grizzly tool, a benchtop drill press. Satisfied with it, I have since added a table saw, bandsaw, dust collector, and tenon jig for the tablesaw. Based on my experience and their customer service, I would not hesitate to by anything I need from them.

Philip Rodriquez
10-12-2009, 8:18 PM
Just do it. I've got a 10" jointer and a 15" planer. Both ran me close to 4k and work perfectly.

Chris Ricker
Welcome, Tim
Use the search function here and use specific models.
I think you'll find that most griz owners are happy with what they have.(including myself)
If you gave more information about you and what you intend to use the tools for you may get more specific answers:)

Good Luck and hope to hear from you often.

Scott T Smith
Tim, I have a substantial investment in Grizzly equipment, and feel that they represent an excellent overall "value" in woodworking equipment. Most of my equipment is their larger sized, or "Extreme Series" models.

I would differentiate between "tools" and "Equipment" though, with the former being something you hold in your hand and the latter being something either free standing or mounted to a bench. I don't use many Grizzly "tools".

Clearly, there is higher quality equipment (Felder comes to mind), but you really pay for difference.

By outfitting my shop with Grizzly, I'm able to get more new equipment for my buck, and thus more equipment overall.

Paul Greathouse
10-12-2009, 8:39 PM
Tim

I have both the jointer and planer that your asking about. I've had them almost a year now and have no complaints. The only thing out of the ordinary that I had to do was put some lock-tite on the planer pulley bolt. After doing so the pulley bolt has not backed out.

They both provide a very smooth finish with the Grizzly spiral heads. I take a 1/16" bite per pass on both machines and they handle the job just fine. I work mostly with Red Oak but do process some pecan, pine and cypress from time to time.

Do a search on my name and you will see threads for both machines with pictures.

mickey cassiba
10-13-2009, 5:34 AM
Tim, we have a number of Grizzly tools in our specialty shop, and they perform as well if not better than any of the other "high end" tools. I would certainly buy Grizzly were I in the market for another machine. I am eyeing a 6" jointer to replace the one I killed when I moved.
Mickey