PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Pens

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2009, 6:02 PM
Today got started on some pens (26 to be exact) to give to my employee's and their wives when I retire for all their hard work and sticking with me thru thick and thin times. There is no better bunch than these people. I have worked with them or have been their Supervisor from the newest ones of 4 yrs to the oldest for 26 yrs.

Anyway here are 4 of them that I got done this afternoon. They are Wallstreet II Click pens. I just nipped the corners off the blanks with a roughing gouge and then it was a 1" oval skew to the finish. There was no sanding and just buffed lightly with tripoli, white diamond and Ren wax. From left to right is dark purple, cobalt blue, chocolate covered cherry and pink. That hot pink as the LOML calls it I cannot keep enough blanks around. I have sold probably 30 pens in the last 3 or 4 months and 22 of them were the pink. I just put in a order for 20 more of those blanks.

Steve Schlumpf
10-12-2009, 6:05 PM
Great looking pens Bernie! You must be getting the short timer's jitters - or close to it!

Mark Hix
10-12-2009, 8:17 PM
Great looking pens. And a really nice way to say thank you.

Jim McFarland
10-12-2009, 8:50 PM
Wonderful gesture and a great group of pens. I really like the cobalt.

David Drickhamer
10-12-2009, 9:13 PM
Great job on the pens Bernie. Congrats on the retirement, your going to love it.
Dave

Eugene Wigley
10-12-2009, 9:36 PM
Bernie, great looking pens. I'm sure your employees will enjoy them. I like the cobalt best. Congrats on the retirement.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2009, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Yep Steve it is starting to set in with 80 days left. David I am a little bit nervous about it but on the other hand looking forward to it. Been working for 45 yrs. Be nice to be able to do things I have been wanting to do for years but just didn't have the time.

Wonder what it will be like to turn for 6 or 8 hrs a day???:D;):rolleyes:

Steve Mawson
10-12-2009, 9:59 PM
Congratulations on the final leg to retirement, bet it will be great when it happens. Those pens will make nice gifts for folks that sound like deserve them. Looks forward to seeing all those projects that have been on the back burner.:) Git R Done:D

Harvey Ghesser
10-13-2009, 5:55 PM
Nice pens Bernie! Wish I worked for you too!

robert hainstock
10-13-2009, 7:02 PM
And thanks for showing that Polishing pens can be simple. :)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2009, 7:21 PM
Thanks again for the kind comments. I guess you could call the pens a labor of love.

Horst Hohoff
10-14-2009, 2:37 AM
Very elegant looking pens, Bernie! You often see Sierras ( and other pens )
with an IMO exaggerated barrelshape. These are perfect.

Horst

Billy Tallant
10-15-2009, 1:15 AM
Great looking pens, Bernie. Really love that cobalt one. I haven't tried turning acrylic pens yet. After seeing the colors displayed here, I've got to order some new blanks when I get off the forum tonight...

Cody Colston
10-15-2009, 8:14 AM
Great looking bunch of pens, Bernie, really classy. That's a classy gesture, too, giving them to your employees.

Congrats on your pending retirement and I expect to see a flood of turnings from you soon thereafter. :D

Jeff Nicol
10-15-2009, 8:53 AM
Bernie, I have had a run on the click style pens lately! They seem to be the ticket around here! I have not done any of that type but I think I will now! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeff

Ted Calver
10-15-2009, 9:07 AM
Nice touch Bernie. They're gonna miss you.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks again to all. Horst I don't like the big barrel shape either. Billy they are fun and easy to do. Even after sanding to 1000 grit when I do then buff they come out just shining.

Billy Tallant
10-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks again to all. Horst I don't like the big barrel shape either. Billy they are fun and easy to do. Even after sanding to 1000 grit when I do then buff they come out just shining.

Thanks Bernie...Temptation was too great. Got off work & made a quick run to Dallas to visit Rockler's. Bought a few acrylics to play with this weekend. Also invested in some micro mesh & ren wax to try out. Also stocked up on some pens they had on sale.

Aaron Wingert
10-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice pens for sure and what a kind gesture. They'll certainly appreciate that.

Funny about the popularity of the pink blanks. I recently made a pen for a co-worker as a going away present for her. She's really into everything pink so I used a scrap of pink spectraply that I had laying around and made her a pink wood pen. Like your co-workers will be, she was thrilled.