PDA

View Full Version : coupling a DC motor to headstock

bernard feinerman
10-12-2009, 5:28 PM
I have a Jet 1236 (Reeves drive) and want to replace motor and Reeves drive with a directly coupled DC motor with speed control.

I do not plan to use the swiveling feature of the headstock.

Has anyone tried disassembling the headstock end of the Reeves drive freeing up the headstock spindle shaft?

How difficult is it to reassemble the Reeves drive when it is time to move to a bigger lathe?
Bernie

Jeff Nicol
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Bernard, When I retrofitted my chinese copy of the lathe you are talking about I took the reeves drive out and replaced the pulley on the shaft to work with the setup I used, which is a 1hp 3phase motor and a VFD. I had to mount the motor behind on a different bracket to get it all to work the way I wanted. So the same thing will have to be done for you as I suspect the motor is completly different in size than what is there already. So take it all apart and get to the shaft and see what will work it is really the only way to begin.

Good luck,

Jeff

Josiah Bartlett
10-13-2009, 3:36 PM
Putting a Reeves drive back together and having it work properly can be a real pain in the neck. However, removing it is easy- the shafts should be standard keyed. You can get pulleys from McMaster Carr or Grainger or your favorite industrial equipment supplier.