PDA

View Full Version : How to begin

Prashun Patel
10-12-2009, 4:16 PM
I'm ready to dip my toe into the world of lathes. There are 2 things I want to do initially:

-Turn fallen lumber into bowls/vases, etc.
-Make table and bench legs

Any recomendations on a good, basic machine? Which tools do I need to get started? I'm fearful that I'll quickly slide down a slope of owning a hundred different gouges of various lengths, skew angles, and colors...

What to avoid?

I'm a hobbyist (at best)

alex carey
10-12-2009, 4:43 PM
can you give us a price range?

Bill Bulloch
10-12-2009, 4:50 PM
I'm fearful that I'll quickly slide down a slope of owning a hundred different gouges of various lengths, skew angles, and colors...

No need fearing it -- you will. Then, you'll end up with four or five favorites that get used all the time, the rest every-now-and-then.

You can get a lathe for a few hundred bucks up to 7 or 8 thousand that will do the job you are wanting to do. Like everything else though, the better the machine the higher the cost. I suggest you decide on what you can budget for this hobby, then do your research. After you narrow down what you like and can afford, then ask the membership about these specific lathes. These guys know their lathes and will be able to help. I would also suggest that you buy as much lathe as you can afford at this time. If you buy a Harbor Frieght $150.00 lathe now, within the year you'll be looking for something better.

Good luck

Kirk Miller
10-12-2009, 5:17 PM
I strongly suggest the Jet 12-20. It is a great value if you can afford it. For chisels I think the Harbor Freight HSS set is good for getting started. It is affordable and you dont have to worry about messing them up sharpening. You can then get a better idea of what kind of tool you want. A good 1/2 inch bowl gouge before you get started on bowls and vases. That set doesn't have a true bowl gouge.

I highly suggest joining a local turners group as well. If you take a class before you learn a bunch of bad habits it makes things easier.
That should be enough to get your head spinning

Kirk

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2009, 5:41 PM
If you are not wanting to jump into a high dollar lathe I would recommend the Delta 46-460 with variable speed and with a bed extension. Great lathe with a 1 hp motor and is smooth/quiet. Another good one would be the Jet 1220 variable speed and a bed extension. Both will turn nice vases and 12" bowls. As far as tools well the sky is the limit.

John Keeton
10-12-2009, 6:55 PM
I'm ready to dip my toe into the world of lathes. Shawn, you surely know from your handtool experience that there simply is no such thing as "dip my toe!";):D

I have been playing in this round world off and on now for about a month, and so far I am quite proud of my restraint. Not sure how long it will last, but so far I have held my initial investment at about $550, including the slow speed grinder and Wolverine jig. But, not counting the $223 load of walnut and cherry leg stock!

Prashun Patel
10-13-2009, 8:18 AM
Thanks, All.

The one I was eyeing is the Grizzly:

G0658 12 x 20 Bench-Top

John Keeton
10-13-2009, 8:54 AM
Shawn, that lathe does not appear to have a bed extension. Will that restrict your intended use for table legs?

Prashun Patel
10-27-2009, 4:24 PM
Any opinions on this one?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPROVS.html?mybuyscid=3285739410

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Shawn - based on what it is that you want to turn - this lathe is to small and underpowered. I would suggest you save your money and pick up either the Delta 46-460 or the Jet 1220 lathes and a bed extension if you want to turn legs.

Good luck with your research!

David Hostetler
10-27-2009, 5:59 PM
I've got the Harbor Freight #34706 12x36 (Jet JWL 1236 clone, but a BUNCH less expensive) and am very pleased with it. If you are going to be turning long spindles like table legs, don't bother with a mini lathe (like the 1220 mentioned above) it will leave you wanting...

The 34706 is a fine lathe, and is rather well regarded, but MAKE SURE IF YOU GET A HARBOR FREIGHT LATHE YOU ARE CAREFUL... They also offer a sheet metal based 14x40" model that is best suited to turning balsa wood, and paper mache, as throwing anything resembling real wood at it will bend the rails the lathe bed is made of...

The Windsor Design 8pc Ash Handle lathe tool set (47066 for $44.99) is a great set for starting out, higher quality than the Benjamins Best set from PSI. (At least the box of the Harbor Freight set is glued together!).

John Keeton
10-27-2009, 7:11 PM
Shawn, I have the same setup as David, and I really like mine, as well. However, I do not foresee doing any bowls and I do not know if it would be adequate for that. Perhaps David has had experience in that area.

I caught mine on sale for $229, and used the 20% off coupon, putting it at $183. In that price range, I think it would be hard to beat.

I also have the Windsor HF chisels, and a couple of the Benjamin Best from PSI. They appear to be from the same factory.

Curt Fuller
10-27-2009, 7:36 PM
Thanks, All.

The one I was eyeing is the Grizzly:

G0658 12 x 20 Bench-Top

This might just be my imagination, but here goes. Here on SMC it seems like every once in a while an avid flatworker crosses over to turning. (and that's a good thing) What I've noticed though is that when they do, they often tend to want to purchase a Grizzly lathe. I'm not saying Grizzly lathes are bad, but they don't have the same great reputation that other Grizzly tools have. I know I'll catch some flak here for saying this, but for a lathe Grizzly would be one of my last choices. It just seems that the folks at Grizzly just haven't kept up with the quality features of other comparably priced lathes. The fact that you've mentioned wanting to turn bowls, vases, and spindle work means that you're going to want a machine that has some significant mass to it and some significant swing (14"+) and a broad range of speeds (200-2500).

Prashun Patel
10-27-2009, 8:32 PM
That's exactly the kind of feedback I needed! Thanks.

David E Keller
10-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I've got the Rikon midi, and I'm looking to upgrade. I agree with the idea that for bowl turning, a midi just doesn't have enough power. The other problem is the weight of the lathe and speed control. An unbalanced bowl blank(they all are to some degree) will send a small, lightweight lathe dancing across the bench/floor, and without variable speed control, I'm usually left to choose between slightly too slow and slightly scary until I get things balanced.

However, I don't regret the purchase at all. Even after I get a larger lathe, I plan to keep the smaller one for pens, boxes, and buffing. It's been a great starter lathe for me. I wasn't sure about turning initially, and I couldn't justify spending a couple of grand until I became fully addicted.

If you know you're gonna like turning alot(and you probably are), figure out your budget, find a couple of lathes that look appealing, and let the experts here(not me) help you with the pros and cons.

Just my thoughts

cody michael
10-27-2009, 10:31 PM
i bought the nicer harbor freight jet clone lathe. i've been very happy. its a good starter lathe and when you want to upgrade you could easy sell for 100-150 and buy it new with coupon for 180$ can't beat i think

Prashun Patel
10-28-2009, 3:32 PM
I know I'll upgrade eventually, but I think I might start with the HF. I think it fits the budget better now. I won't be able to turn big stuff, but I think it'll be a good starter.