PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on raised panel bit sets

James Carmichael
09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm soliciting recommendations for a good raised panel router bit set. I'd like to find a quality set in a cove or 25* profile that includes either a reversible or matched rail & stile (traditional edge), glue joint, drawer lock, and door lip.

Thanks!

Seth Bollinger
09-22-2004, 11:28 AM
I bought my set from MCLS it is more of a shker style cut {wife's prefrence} but they have others. The main reason I went with thier bit is that at this time I only have a 1/4 collet. But I have found the bits to cut very well and have lasted nicely even through all the pitch and knots in the pine doors I've made.

Donnie Raines
09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I am rather fond of the Amana cutters. They will lean toward the more expensive side of the scale...but have been very good to me.

John Gregory
09-22-2004, 11:40 AM
They usually do not recommend 1/4 inch shafts for raised panel bits due to the size of the bit. If you can always buy the 1/2 inch bits.

James Carmichael
09-22-2004, 11:51 AM
They usually do not recommend 1/4 inch shafts for raised panel bits due to the size of the bit. If you can always buy the 1/2 inch bits.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to try that, I go 1/2" whenever possible.

Speaking of which, my current table-mounted router is a Makita RF1101 (11 amp). I figure it'll do the job at slow speed in multiple passes, but would upgrading to an Hitachi M12v be worthwhile, from the perspective of getting the work done quicker?

Mathew Nedeljko
09-22-2004, 11:52 AM
I went with the 5 piece set from Woodline USA. The quality of the carbide is excellent, and I've had great success with it.

John Gregory
09-22-2004, 12:00 PM
James

I have the Hitachi M12v in my table and I love it. No complaints. I don't know how it would compare to your current set up, but the 12v is a good value for the money.

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 12:24 PM
I prefer and use the Freud panel bits with the "2+2" design. The opposing shear angles give a very clean cut and they also have a nice safety design. There is good variety in profiles available, too.

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Check out the sets at www.sommerfeldtools.com (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com) for CMT. I have nothing but CMT bits in my shop. Always go for 1/2" shanks where possible. I think www.woodpeck.com (http://www.woodpeck.com) is also carrying CMT's line.

Aaron Montgomery
09-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I've also got nothing but CMT bits in my shop. I've got the 7 bit CMT panel set. Not that other bits are inferior, but I've had good luck with the CMT bits, so I've stuck with them.

James Carmichael
09-22-2004, 12:54 PM
I prefer and use the Freud panel bits with the "2+2" design. The opposing shear angles give a very clean cut and they also have a nice safety design. There is good variety in profiles available, too.

Where do you get your's, Jim? I'd like to find one of their 5-piece cabinet sets as that looks to be the most economical way to get everything I'll want. Amazon has a few, but none in the cove or 25-degree profile I want.

Denny Lawson
09-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Another vote here for the Freud 2+2, matching R&S bits also available.

You can also buy in sets and save $$
I bought mine at Woodworkers Supply

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=97-100

Denny

Chuck Fischer
09-22-2004, 1:08 PM
Do any of you guys use the Hickory bits that they sell at HD? I've gotten a few of them at the WWing shows and they work really well. I was thinking of grabbing a set from them for doing raised panels.

Chuck

Steve Clardy
09-22-2004, 9:22 PM
I vote Whiteside.

Steve

Kent Cori
09-22-2004, 9:26 PM
Another vote for the Freud 2+2 bits.

Charlie Plesums
09-22-2004, 9:58 PM
My hickory bits went dull pretty fast, so I won't buy them any more

My woodline bits are good, especially for profiles I only use occasionally (like my door set and the crown moulding bit). However, if you use a lower power router and make 3-4 cuts, remember that the bits will wear 3-4 times as fast.

For the heavily used bits like roundover and rabbet, the Whitesides last far longer.

Woodcraft store brands go on $5 sale periodically, which is cheaper than sharpening a bit, so I use them some.

David LaRue
09-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Yet another vote here for the Freud 2+2, matching rail and stile bits

James Carmichael
09-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the input, folks. I ordered the Freud 94-100-511 5-piece set from Amazon.

mike lucas
09-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I say go with CMT, Freud, Amana, or Whiteside. I have many hundred dollars worth of CMT and have had nothing but great success with them. Freud and CMT are very much alike.

I would add Jesada to the list, but it looks like they disapaired into CMT As they were once one company, had a falling out, and split. Now in the newest CMT catalog there are many of Jesada`s items as new items for CMT.

Chuck Fischer
09-23-2004, 1:09 PM
Ok, so if the Hickory bits go dull fast... (I haven't done a lot of router work to know yet) I guess I better start thinking about a different brand then. CMT and Freud look good, but everyone keeps talking about Whiteside. Where do you guys purchase these whiteside bits anyway?

Chuck

Steve Clardy
09-23-2004, 1:14 PM
Ok, so if the Hickory bits go dull fast... (I haven't done a lot of router work to know yet) I guess I better start thinking about a different brand then. CMT and Freud look good, but everyone keeps talking about Whiteside. Where do you guys purchase these whiteside bits anyway?

Chuck
Routerbits.com or Ballewtools.com

Steve

Byron Trantham
09-23-2004, 1:33 PM
I have the earlier Freud panel set - no 2+2 feature. :mad: I have made quite a few doors with them I really like the Freud line of bits.