PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade help

Sam Layton
10-12-2009, 1:53 PM
I have a Mini-Max S45 which is an 18" bandsaw. I would like a good carbide resaw blade. I am considering the Lenox Tri-Master 3/4".

I have a few concerns before I buy the Tri-Master. What do you think, is an 18" saw OK for the Tri-Master? Also, will my saw tension the Tri-Master?

Any other recommendations for a good resaw blade would be appreciated. Also, where do you recommend I purchase the blade?

Thanks for any help, Sam

Bill Arnold
10-12-2009, 1:56 PM
The best re-saw blade I've used is the Woodslicer from Highland.

Mark Drayton
10-12-2009, 6:17 PM
The Lenox Woodmaster CT is a good alternative - less carbide so a bit less $ than the Trimaster. However narrowest blade is 27mm/1". This tensions well on my 24" Agazzani but not sure about an 18" saw. Smooth cut - little sanding needed for a finish surface.

Mark

Sam Layton
10-12-2009, 8:39 PM
Thanks for the response Bill and Mark.

Bill, I looked at the Woodslicer but it is not carbide. How smooth is the cut, and what is the longevity? I resaw riff sawn red oak, maple, and such woods.

Mark, I also looked at the Woodmaster. I think my saw only takes a 3/4" blade. I may call Mini-Max and see what they say.

Thanks again Bill and Mark, I appreciate your help, Sam

David Christopher
10-12-2009, 8:43 PM
Sam, I have a couple of the resaw king blades and wouldnt have nothing else.....they are expensive but worth it.....they leave a finish that feels like it has been sanded

Dan Lee
10-12-2009, 8:58 PM
I use mostly a 3/4 TriMaster on my MM16 with great results.1/16 or less veneers no problem then drum sand to desired thicknes. I have used a 1" TM but it seemed to cause vibration. On a 18" should be no problem. I also really like the Blade Runner from Ittura (same as Woodslicer form WC) but they just don't last as long

'

Jeff Willard
10-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I run a 1" TM on a 14" Laguna, and it has no problem tensioning that band. I couldn't imagine your saw not being able to handle a 3/4" band. I got mine from Spectrum Supply, but in a recent thread, someone found a cheaper supplier, Kaufman Company. I can't vouch for them, but Spectrum delivered a quality product in a reasonable amount of time, at a price that I was happy paying.

Bill Arnold
10-13-2009, 8:13 AM
... Bill, I looked at the Woodslicer but it is not carbide. How smooth is the cut, and what is the longevity? I resaw riff sawn red oak, maple, and such woods. ...
I've used the Woodslicer mostly on cherry and have done some black walnut and claro walnut as well. I've had excellent results with a small quantity of maple also. With the materials you're planning to use, I can see why you're looking at carbide.

John Thompson
10-13-2009, 8:54 AM
I ran a 1/2" Woodslicer for years on a 14" BS with excellent results but.. the blade won't stay sharp for that long. I switched to a Lennox Tri-master when I got got an additional 18" BS just for re-saw. Excellent blade which went about 12-13 times as long remaining sharp but.. I have purchased used cars for less money. :)

So.. I tried a Lennox Classic 3/4" bi-metal for $60 shipped which means I can purchase 4 bi-metals for the price of one Tri-master. It stays sharp about 6-7 times longer than a WS IMO. My current one has around 1500 linear feet on it and is still good to go. If I do the numbers I am better off with the bi-metal.

As far as smooth.. the bi-metal is not quite as good as the WS or Tri-mater but not bad at all. It is smoother than the CT cut I have seen. But.. in regard to smooth.... I have never seen any BS blade yet and I don't expect too that will leave an acceptable finish cut on a piece. All the ones I mentioned will leave a smooth enough cut on the glue side (including the bi-metal) but.. not on the show side so.... IMO you are going to have to do some clean-up sanding on the finish side regardless of which type you go with. A spade is a spade! ;)

PS.. if you want to see a cut from it.. I could take a pic and post latter.

Good luck...

Sam Layton
10-13-2009, 1:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your response and help.

Dave, I had not considered the resaw king. I will look at it in more depth.

John, I would appreciate it if you would take a photo.

Jeff, thanks for recommending Spectrum Supply. I read somewhere where someone cautioned against cut rate places that may not have good welds. A couple dollars more for a reliable place is OK.

Dan, thanks for your response on the TM.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I have been using a Temberwolf. It cuts OK, but needs lots and lots of clean up. To much wood is wasted.

Sam

Wayne Cannon
10-13-2009, 6:29 PM
You'll appreciate the lower noise of Lenox's "VariTooth" style of TriMaster.

I like Hastings Saws (http://www.hastingssaws.com/), 888-223-7016. They are very supportive, and will take time on the phone to answer questions and help with recommendations. I first learned of Hastings in a review that commented on the quality/smoothness of their welds. They weld blades to length (primarily Lenox), and their prices are competitive.

Thomas S Stockton
10-13-2009, 7:22 PM
I have an older s45 bandsaw and when I talked to hastings saws about going for a carbide blade he thought that it probably would have a hard time tensioning it. I trust their opinion and stick to 1/2" wide bi-metal blades that work very well for me. A 3/4" blades is going to take more than a 1/2" blade to tension so I would ask your supplier what they think, also see what Mini-max says.
Tom

David Christopher
10-13-2009, 7:32 PM
Sam, look at the deals and discounts............resaw king for $ 75............you cant beat that with a stick

John Thompson
10-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your response and help.

Dave, I had not considered the resaw king. I will look at it in more depth.

John, I would appreciate it if you would take a photo.

Jeff, thanks for recommending Spectrum Supply. I read somewhere where someone cautioned against cut rate places that may not have good welds. A couple dollars more for a reliable place is OK.

Dan, thanks for your response on the TM.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I have been using a Temberwolf. It cuts OK, but needs lots and lots of clean up. To much wood is wasted.

Sam

What Thomas said about tension. I have a Steel City 18" which has double springs and I can get plenty of tension on carbide.. much less bi-metal. But.. I don't see the need for more than 3/4" and I used a 1/2" WS for years. I don't know the springs on your saw so I can't comment where they are large enough or not.

Here are the pictures of a 3/4" bi-metal that has already logged around 1500 linear feet of stock.. all hardwood. The wood in these is QSWO.

Good luck...

Sam Layton
10-14-2009, 2:34 AM
John, thanks for taking the time to take and post photo's. That looks like a nice cut.

Thomas, my S45 is older as well. I think I will call MM tomorrow and see what they say.

Dave, I looked at the deals on the Resaw King. The $75 deal is on the 1 1/4" blade, to bad...

Wayne, thanks for the recommendation of Hastings Saw.

Thanks again everyone for all of your input. I will call MM tomorrow and see what they say about my saw. Perhaps stronger springs are available.

Sam

Josiah Bartlett
10-14-2009, 2:45 AM
I ran a 1/2" Woodslicer for years on a 14" BS with excellent results but.. the blade won't stay sharp for that long. I switched to a Lennox Tri-master when I got got an additional 18" BS just for re-saw. Excellent blade which went about 12-13 times as long remaining sharp but.. I have purchased used cars for less money. :)

I don't think that's really a fair comparison... you have almost twice the band length on that 18" saw than you would on a 14", so each tooth has to do less work, and you are also bending it around a bigger radius so metal fatigue won't be nearly as much.