PDA

View Full Version : Source for black locust fence posts?

Rick in Chicago
10-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm finally putting the finishing landscaping touches on the complete restoration of my 19th century Victorian, and I need to replace the property fence.

The forums I've read suggest that black locust is an excellent choice for fence posts but I've had trouble locating a source.

I'm in the Chicago area and need 25 posts 4x4 in 6-foot lengths. Can anyone suggest a supplier or know of a source? I'd be willing to pay freight if necessary, so these don't have to be local to Chicago.

As an alternative, any thoughts on construction grade redwood for fence posts? I do have a source for these, but they're a bit expensive ($5 per linear foot for 4x4 construction grade).

Thanks for your help here, Rick

David Dockstader
10-12-2009, 1:49 PM
Rick,

I'm in Chicago, too, and black locust generally doesn't grow in this area. It's mostly in the Alleghenies, Tennessee, Kentucky and around there. However, if you Google "black locust lumber," you'll find a few suppliers who would be willing to ship you the 25 posts you need.

Jim Holman
10-12-2009, 4:25 PM
I was raised in Northern Missouri around Kirksville. Locust was very common and used as a "live fence" between pastures. I put in hundreds of locust posts cut from thinning the fence but do not recall ever seeing a 4 X 4. Most were about 3" in diameter. They were never sawn, just used natural.

John Keeton
10-12-2009, 7:46 PM
Rick, there is a blight that effects most of the locust trees in our area, and they tend to rot out in the middle as they mature. However, it does not seem to effect their tendency to propogate!! They are everywhere, and most folks would just as soon get rid of them.

Locust is excellent for posts, as is osage orange. Must be the thorn thing!!:D

That said, I have not seen much locust that has been lumbered, probably because of the lack of mature healthy trees. In order to get a 4x4 post, one would need to have a sawmill cut them, and probably supply the log - at least in my area.

In short, while it is certainly plentiful here, and I have several you are welcome to cut, I really am not familiar with a source for cut lumber.

Peter Quinn
10-12-2009, 8:04 PM
We have them here in the Northeast, but they are a sort of odd almost round shape or oval, and have holes bored into them to accept poplar stringers, I haven't seen 4X4's in locust. There is a local saw mill in my area that keeps a few 6X8 timbers in short lengths that can be used for mud sill repairs, but they are hard to get in touch with even going to the guys front door. The mud sill in my house is black locust, and it is some of the hardest darn stuff I have ever put a drill bit into. I read if it weren't blighted and could reach maturity it would outlast pressure treated yellow pine by far, it just can't be had in any great lengths or thickness. I also read they are having some success growing it on grafted stock in Germany as a green alternative to pressure treated lumber, though none of this will help you in your quest.

Rick in Chicago
10-12-2009, 8:24 PM
Thanks, guys (David, Jim, John and Peter).

I tried the Google suggestion and found loads of references to locust but not exactly a source for posts. I'll keep trying, and if that doesn't pan out may reconsider the construction grade redwood and just bite the bullet ($5 linear foot from a local wholesaler).

Regards, Rick

Jeff Willard
10-12-2009, 10:56 PM
...outlast pressure treated yellow pine by far,...

Pop used some for a grape arbor when he got back from 'Nam in '67. Somewhere around Y2K I was tasked with clearing off that plot of land again and pulled up the posts. Just as solid as the day they went into the ground.

phil harold
10-13-2009, 8:16 AM
locust post are good when they are not milled
They will rot faster if they are split or milled
vineyards like to use it for posts