PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watch NYW this weekend?

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 9:49 AM
I always record the New Yankee Workshop on the DVR and use them as reference on occassion. Usually when I need a jig I have not built or just as a check to see what new tools or techniques Norm uses.

Well, this weekend he started the first of several shows on cabinet making.

I was thoroughly floored!!!

He made his cabinets very quickly, used srews everywhere, he screwed the face frames together, used a solid top, bisquited the face frame to the carcas, and used veneered plywood from beginning to end.

I was really hoping to learn something with this show and the series but I was amazed at how simple the design was and how down and dirty the assembly was accomplished.

It reminded me of how I would build cabinets for my garage or a project that I really was not critical of.

But to advocate this basic process for kitchen cabinets going into a home really made me wince.

Did anyone else see the show and what are your impressions?
What would you have done differently?
I will let some of you go first.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2009, 9:53 AM
So he chose a different method than you would. He explained why he chose that method.

So what?

Fred Hargis
10-12-2009, 9:59 AM
That sounds like one of the 9 show series for the kitchen he redid a coupe of years back. If so, at the time FWW published a companion piece (by Norm) on his construction methods. I thought they were fairly well thought out, and I used his methods (and design) for some I built for our master bath. I didn't slot for the biscuits, but most everything else I did as he did, using the prefinished ply. Made a very robust set of cabinets, and I have some to love the prefinished ply for this type of project.

Bill Arnold
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM
All of his procedures are perfectly acceptable. Pre-finished plywood is used on a wide variety of high-end cabinetry. After I "retired" from my career job, I worked in a couple of cabinet shops helping build furniture for motor yachts. Without exception, the material of choice for all standard cabinet carcases is prefinished maple plywood. All of the cabinets for the yachts were Euro-style, so did not have face frames. Plywood edges were banded with whatever exterior wood was specified.

It might not be your way of doing things, but major designers and builders don't seem to have issue with this form of construction.

Adam Strong
10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
If you saw the cabinets at the start of the show that these are to replace, it all makes sense. His method is for a good, sturdy design for the boxes that will hold up very well... The same design you would want for shop cabinets, only with a finished interior. He said the cabinets are to be painted, so no use having a nice hardwood on the face frames. Nothing wrong with any of it.

Ryan Stagg
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I caught it - first one I've watched for some time. For built-in kitchen cabinets, I had no problems with his methods.

Lots of cabinet makers I know use kreg-type systems for face frame assembly. And lots of expensive production cabinets I see use even cheaper methods than biscuits and screws to assemble carcasses. I see veneer plywood in 100k kitchen installations, and I'm not sure I'd *want* to see solid wood carcasses in these applications.

A lot of people aren't familiar with these methods, and certainly the rank amateur is Nahm's target audience, so I don't see the big deal. Very little of his audience cares about heirloom-quality methods.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I think that compared to most of the junk cabinets out there, like the ones that came with my house, Norms might even be considered high grade. Cabinets are NOT furniture, more like framing with a bit of finish carpenter!:D

Carroll Courtney
10-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Keep in mind that he went about it as a working business cabinet shop trying to make a profit.I'm just a weekend worrier and when I build cabinets for money, procedures are the same.Using the best material,working methods,saves time and money.---Carroll

John Gregory
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
If I recall correctly, Norm was trying to show that any well equipped home woodworking shop could produce a beautiful kitchen and save thousands of dollars. We will be redoing our kitchen in the near future, we will probable do something similar to Norms methods. I agree with Steve R, kitchen cabinets are not fine furniture. Not heirlooms. Some people suggests that a kitchen should be remodeled every 10 -15 years. I think few people could afford that, including us.

Jason White
10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I've watched it and also own the DVD set.

I'm not defending their methods, but just want to clarify a couple of things:

They used dado and rabbet construction for the boxes and reinforced with screws on the sides (in situations where they wouldn't be seen). Norm also toe-nailed brads into each shelf, which he always does on any type of cabinet. It's just a Norm-thing.

Pocket screws were used to assemble the face frames. Pretty standard stuff.

Also, the face frames were glued and biscuit-ed to the boxes because they didn't want to fill any nail holes.

3/4" Pre-finished plywood was used for all the cabinet boxes except in the "bar" area. 3/4" ply was also used for the backs instead of the normal 1/4".

From where I sit, this is pretty good construction! Better than you'll get from any home center or even a lot of custom cabinet shops.

Jason

I always record the New Yankee Workshop on the DVR and use them as reference on occassion. Usually when I need a jig I have not built or just as a check to see what new tools or techniques Norm uses.

Well, this weekend he started the first of several shows on cabinet making.

I was thoroughly floored!!!

He made his cabinets very quickly, used srews everywhere, he screwed the face frames together, used a solid top, bisquited the face frame to the carcas, and used veneered plywood from beginning to end.

I was really hoping to learn something with this show and the series but I was amazed at how simple the design was and how down and dirty the assembly was accomplished.

It reminded me of how I would build cabinets for my garage or a project that I really was not critical of.

But to advocate this basic process for kitchen cabinets going into a home really made me wince.

Did anyone else see the show and what are your impressions?

Mike Langford
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
....Did anyone else see the show and what are your impressions?

O.K. Brad....What would you have done differently?....

Sean Nagle
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM

You did learn something... how to build kitchen cabinets.

Cody Colston
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM

I'd like to hear his method, too. ;)

Jason Strauss
10-12-2009, 1:45 PM
As I write this, I'm in the midst of building cabinets for a family member. I viewed Norm's approach as confirmation that I was doing things properly:
-prefinished ply
-pocket screws for the face frames
-etc...

I just wish this family member would have chosen some wood other than hickory. Very nice to look at, but exceptionally tough on the tools...

Gary Muto
10-12-2009, 2:13 PM
All I got from it was that this season will be reruns just like last year.

Bill Arnold
10-12-2009, 2:15 PM
All I got from it was that this season will be reruns just like last year.
Unless something changes, NYW will be reruns from now on. Norm is reported to have some health issues and will introduce some of the programs going forward but they will make no new episodes.

:confused: Oh, Brad, we await your enlightened education about what Norm and the rest of us are doing wrong! :confused:

Alex Shanku
10-12-2009, 2:50 PM
Norm is reported to have some health issues

Who has reported this, Bill?

Dan Friedrichs
10-12-2009, 3:35 PM
Who has reported this, Bill?

+1. Repeating a rumor like this without ANY credible evidence is dangerous. Would you run around saying "Steve Jobs has cancer again!" or something similar? You'd risk getting sued...

Jason Strauss
10-12-2009, 3:50 PM
:confused: Oh, Brad, we await your enlightened education about what Norm and the rest of us are doing wrong! :confused:[/QUOTE]

Let's be carefully here, gang. Brad may have never built cabinets and may have been surprised at how straight forward it really is. He might just be wondering..."can it really be that easy, or does Norm and magic of TV make it look that basic?". I know that if you'd asked me a year ago about cabinet construction, I would have thought it more complicated than it really is.

Also, on the show, if I recall correctly, these cabinets are not too fancy; particularly where the finish is concerned. Also, no inset doors or drawers, no panel glue-ups, and no beading or other time consuming details. Just your run-of-the-mill cabinets.

While I too am interested in Brad's response, do we need to be condescending?

Howard Jahnke
10-12-2009, 3:59 PM
I must say I have to agree with Jason. As I'm reading these posts, I'm starting to feel like everybody is being a little hard on Brad. I'm almost positive he won't be back here with any Norm criticisms.:eek:

Scott Hildenbrand
10-12-2009, 4:08 PM
Very little of his audience cares about heirloom-quality methods.

For that matter, we are talking kitchen cabinets are we not? The lifespan of most kitchens these days seems to be 25-50 years before someone comes along and things "This sucks. Get my sledge hammer" and guts the kitchen for a remodel as it's outdated for what's current with the times.

Heirloom quality is great and for free standing units that may well end up being passed down, all for it.. But seems like kitchens are the new throw away item.

No doubt 50 years from now Granite and Concrete counter tops will be frowned on as there will surely be something new.

Brad, no scratch towards you at all. Just my two cents.. :) My understanding is that though Norm is a great craftsman, he purposefully gears his shows to the every day Joe and demonstrates modern, quick, easy ways of doing things which can in the end give the appearance of heirloom furniture, without all the blood sweat and tears.

Cody Colston
10-12-2009, 4:29 PM
I must say I have to agree with Jason. As I'm reading these posts, I'm starting to feel like everybody is being a little hard on Brad. I'm almost positive he won't be back here with any Norm criticisms.:eek:

Perhaps most of us got the wrong impression but I really don't think so.

Brad seemed to be seeking "Norm basher" replies to his, apparently uninformed, post. Quite frankly, I'm surprised at all the support Norm received for his cabinet making methods. Right or wrong, just mentioning his name is usually a polarizing topic.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-12-2009, 5:00 PM
I don't see why Norm gets so brash a response.. Personally, Bob is the one I truly frown on. Man gets on my nerve.

But, just my two cents. :)

Homer Faucett
10-12-2009, 5:18 PM
I agree with Jason, but do understand the response based on Brad's tone. Norm is the reason I got into woodworking--he made it look doable. As far as the construction techniques on this Kitchen cabinet series, I saw this series when it first ran, and watched the first episode again on Saturday.

If you've ever bought standard cabinets off the shelf from the DIY centers, you'll agree that Norm's cabinets are built light years ahead of those, and they're far more stout than most you'll get even from a custom builder unless you specify--and pay for--the additional strength. I only wish that screws and glue were used on those home center boxes (and not merely hot melt glue and staples). I've built my own, as well, using a hybrid model between the Proulx and Schmid methods. In my book, Norm's techniques are a minor variation on those, and are stronger.

To me, the things that make a good cabinet a good cabinet is: what material did you use for the carcass (I prefer 3/4 ply over the 1/2" melamine that most use today), did you use some screws to back up the joints? After that, dressing up the front with the face frame (or edge banding, and the selection of how you want to build the doors is the only real difference in cabinets. Oh yeah, and the quality of the hardware used (and Norm covered that).

I've read that kitchens are updated every 15-20 years, but I built mine to last as long as the ones I took out. The last time our kitchen was updated was pre 1950. If I die in this house, I expect the same time frame before this one is updated . . . or the house will be bulldozed with the kitchen in it. I expect those cabinets built by Norm would hold up that long.

Dave Lehnert
10-12-2009, 5:31 PM
I was wondering why he used biscuit to attach the face frame. A good method, not knocking that. Could you have used pocket screws on the outside of the cabinets to attach (other than the end cabinets)

sean m. titmas
10-12-2009, 5:39 PM
Let's be carefully here, gang. Brad may have never built cabinets and may have been surprised at how straight forward it really is. He might just be wondering..."can it really be that easy, or does Norm and magic of TV make it look that basic?".

Also, on the show, if I recall correctly, these cabinets are not too fancy; particularly where the finish is concerned. Also, no inset doors or drawers, no panel glue-ups, and no beading or other time consuming details. Just your run-of-the-mill cabinets.

While I too am interested in Brad's response, do we need to be condescending?

I dont think Brad has built any cabinets before either but as a Safety Systems Consultant/Mechanical Engineer he may be thinking that they must be more complicated than Norm showed them to be.

If you ask 100 carpenters how to build a set of cabinets you will get 100 slightly different answers. Some good, some bad but you will get a wide variety of details for building and assembling boxes.

Phil Thien
10-12-2009, 7:49 PM
I agree w/ Jason. Boy, you guys are in a mood today. :confused:

johnny means
10-12-2009, 8:15 PM

I was going to ask the same thing.

Pocket screws, biscuits, and veneered plywood are pretty much the marks of a four star cabinet in the cabinet business. This is the type of work going into 50K + kitchens.

paul cottingham
10-12-2009, 8:33 PM
The home he built them for is pretty nice, and the finished product looked great, and fit with the home nicely. The island he builds is awesome. I don't see the problem.

Orion Henderson
10-12-2009, 9:45 PM
Cabinets are built differently than furniture. Prefinshed ply is more or less an industry standard. Cabinet shops hate unfinished ply-it costs much more for them to finish and prefinished gives you a very consistent finish. Not what you would use on a Mahogany secretary; but appropriate for the application. Norm built practical, buildable, beautiful cabinets. When you have to build 10, 20, or 100 more or less identical cases you approach it differently. I hope Mr. Abram is doing well.

Nathan Callender
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I downloaded his article he wrote about the project on FWW and gave it a read. The tips are really outstanding, and he picked construction techniques befitting the design specs. It's hard to make a case against any of the construction techniques since, as he built them, those will likely last much longer than the people who own the home, and the pictures of the final installation look much better than most of today's kitchens.

BTW, I used to think kitchen cabinetry was intricately complicated. Yes, there are a bunch of things to learn, and you have to work to reasonable tolerances, but the concepts are nowhere near as crazy as most people make them out to be. But, until you give it a shot, you don't know.

David DeCristoforo
10-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Three Basic Rules for Survival:
1) Don't tug on Superman's cape
2) Don't spit into the wind
3) Don't drive on the wrong side of the road
4) Never criticize Norm Abrams or Grizzly!

Mort Stevens
10-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Norm is reported to have some health issues

I don't believe this. Norm was on last weeks premiere of This Old House that was taped about 2 months ago. He looked, walked and talked just fine. Personally I think he has grown tired of NYW and probably wanted to spend more time with his new wife and boat.

scott vroom
10-13-2009, 2:13 AM
Sounds like cabinets I'm about to begin building. Hey where can I get the DVD's? Does NYW sell them on-line?

glenn bradley
10-13-2009, 6:44 AM
Now let's not go beating up Brad. He is certainly not the first to question Norm's methods. Norm has done wonderful things in bringing folks to the joys of woodworking. His methods are quick-n-easy and generally reliable but certainly not "old world" or ever claimed to be.

NYW is what it is and I enjoy watching Norm go through a project although I use few of his methods for my own pieces. Watch and learn/enjoy. If you want to learn about highly detailed hand-tuned joinery using "less tailed" techniques, there are many sources for that.

Francis Robinson
10-13-2009, 7:03 AM
I do know that Norm and I share a serious health affliction. It's called "aging"... :)
-
Why is that hand holding the nail shaking? And why are they making this stuff so heavy these days? Let's think about what is hurting... No, wait, let's just think about what doesn't. :D

Gary Muto
10-13-2009, 7:53 AM
3 rules since #4 is a subset of #1?? I see you "cleaned up rule #2 as well. :)

Wilbur Pan
10-13-2009, 8:57 AM
Three Basic Rules for Survival:
1) Don't tug on Superman's cape
2) Don't spit into the wind
3) Don't drive on the wrong side of the road
4) Never criticize Norm Abrams or Grizzly!

What happened to not pulling the Lone Ranger's mask? ;)

As to the longevity of kitchen cabinets, I'm envisioning an episode of This Old House 25 years from now, as they start their 54th season, and are walking through a kitchen being gutted for a rehab. The hologram of Kevin O'Connor points out that the old cabinets were put together with pocket screws, and Jane Silva, granddaughter of Tom Silva and the general contractor for the project, rolls her eyes and says, "Pocket screws? That's sooooo early 2000's!"

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2009, 9:03 AM
In a couple of interviews over the last couple of years Norm has been quoted saying he hoped to retire by age 60. He will be 60 next year IIRC.

The OP pretty well set the tone with following comment: But to advocate this basic process for kitchen cabinets going into a home really made me wince.

My point was if someone has a good logical reason for using a certain method or material, then who has the right to be critical? Norm usually explains his reasons for using a specific method and/or material in his projects.

Mitchell Andrus
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I

He's done a few high-end examples, but.... In some parts of the country that's all they can afford... plywood, poplar, paint.

Sean Nagle
10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
He's done a few high-end examples, but.... In some parts of the country that's all they can afford... plywood, poplar, paint.

In your opinion, what constitutes "high end" kitchen cabinetry?

John Gregory
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I think we are still waiting for Brad to explain what made him wince. And how he would do it differently. Maybe he has a better idea. I would like to hear from him since we plan to do a new kitchen in the next year.

Sean Nagle
10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
It sounded as if Mitchell stepped up to be Brad's surrogate ;)

Jim Rimmer
10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Brad, where are you? He must be trying to dig out from under the barrage from violating Rule #4.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I know a guy who builds cabinets without using any plywood, screws, nails, staples or any other "hardware" except for Blum hinges and drawer glides. All of his interiors are made from solid lumber, glued to width. Everything is joined either with dovetails or mortice and tenon. He also does all of his own carving so his doors and drawer faces are often quite ornate and his installations are typically embellished with corbels, pilasters, carved elements, serpentine arches, etc. He works mostly in a hybrid "French Country" style or what we have come to call "California French". His jobs are always done on a time and materials basis and are typically ungodly expensive.

That is as "high end" work as I have ever seen a "cabinet shop" produce. So, if you want to go to the limit, that's where I would want to go. But most of us have been screwing plywood carcasses together for ninety five percent of our cabinet work. We have also been screwing face frames together long before there were Kreg jigs and pocket hole boring machines. So, in this sense, Norm's cabinets are quite "typical" of the "average" set of kitchen cabinets. "Better" cabinets usually translates into better quality materials and hardware, more costly door designs and other embellishments. But the basic construction method remains the same.

Along with cabinets (lots of cabinets) I have, over the years, made a lot of furniture pieces and many smaller items like my chessboards and tables. Even a few chairs. And none of these have included any plywood or screwed joints or any of the things I might not think twice about doing when I build cabinets.

From time to time, I have encountered a degree of surprise when people realize that when I talk about "high end" work, I might actually be talking about screwed together plywood boxes. Many people understand that even within the limits of this "standard construction method", there can be an enormous amount of variation in quality. But just as many are as surprised as the OP was that, on one level, their "high end custom" cabinets are going to be, in a very basic sense, made in the same manner as the cheap "box store" cabinets they just rejected.

Sean Nagle
10-13-2009, 1:04 PM
I know a guy who builds cabinets without using any plywood, screws, nails, staples or any other "hardware" except for Blum hinges and drawer glides. All of his interiors are made from solid lumber, glued to width. Everything is joined either with dovetails or mortice and tenon. He also does all of his own carving so his doors and drawer faces are often quite ornate and his installations are typically embellished with corbels, pilasters, carved elements, serpentine arches, etc. He works mostly in a hybrid "French Country" style or what we have come to call "California French". His jobs are always done on a time and materials basis and are typically ungodly expensive.

My personal opinion is that it is a waste of precious wood to build solid carcasses for built-ins.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2009, 1:25 PM
"My personal opinion is that it is a waste of precious wood to build solid carcasses for built-ins."

Well, that's the whole thing isn't it? So much of this involves "personal opinion" and preferences. Actually, those solid wood cabinets are quite spectacular. It is obvious even at first glance that there is something "special" about them. When you open the doors, you can immediately tell that they are not made of plywood. They is nothing about them that even resembles "typical" kitchen cabinetry. The question might be posed whether work of that caliber belongs in a kitchen. But there is no question about the obviousness of their quality.

Paul Johnstone
10-13-2009, 1:37 PM
I know a guy who builds cabinets without using any plywood, screws, nails, staples or any other "hardware" except for Blum hinges and drawer glides. All of his interiors are made from solid lumber, glued to width. Everything is joined either with dovetails or mortice and tenon.

Not a bash on Norm, but this is the type of show I would love to see.

Norm's method is certainly fine. I did not see the TV show, but I read the magazine article that went with the series. I guess I found the information to be relatively uninspiring and kind of boring, only because Norm showed us the most efficient way to do it (which a lot of us already know).

I understand, the point of the show is to show how to pull off a DIY remodel quickly and cost efficiently, but it does not leave me inspired or entertained. Maybe that's what the OP meant.

Bill Arnold
10-13-2009, 2:16 PM
... Norm's method is certainly fine. I did not see the TV show, but I read the magazine article that went with the series. I guess I found the information to be relatively uninspiring and kind of boring, only because Norm showed us the most efficient way to do it (which a lot of us already know).

I understand, the point of the show is to show how to pull off a DIY remodel quickly and cost efficiently, but it does not leave me inspired or entertained. Maybe that's what the OP meant.
The impression I've always had about NYW is that its intent was to encourage the average person to undertake projects they can use inside and outside their homes. Norm did a fair amount of more advanced pieces along the way also but I would never have used some of the techniques he used, probably because I know how to use more concealed joinery whereas the average person wouldn't be concerned about having to fill nail holes.

Although I've watched a majority of the NYW episodes over the years, the only item I've ever built is the workbench he did at some point in the first several years. The main thing I learned from NYW was to have the confidence that I could build something if I just tried.

Bill Arnold
10-13-2009, 2:19 PM
"My personal opinion is that it is a waste of precious wood to build solid carcasses for built-ins."

Well, that's the whole thing isn't it? So much of this involves "personal opinion" and preferences. Actually, those solid wood cabinets are quite spectacular. It is obvious even at first glance that there is something "special" about them. When you open the doors, you can immediately tell that they are not made of plywood. They is nothing about them that even resembles "typical" kitchen cabinetry. The question might be posed whether work of that caliber belongs in a kitchen. But there is no question about the obviousness of their quality.

Not a bash on Norm, but this is the type of show I would love to see. ...
Ah, yes! "Wood Works" with David Marks took it to that level. Unfortunately, DIY Network opted not to continue the program.

Bill Arnold
10-13-2009, 2:22 PM
... I will let some of you go first.

Hey, Brad! How many more of us have to go first before you chime in? :confused:

Jim Kirkpatrick
10-13-2009, 2:33 PM
:confused: Oh, Brad, we await your enlightened education about what Norm and the rest of us are doing wrong! :confused:
[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, actually you stand corrected. The cabinets have inset doors and drawer fronts. Additionally the face frames are beaded on the inset. The drawers have high end, concealed, self-closing slides. These cabinets will last 100+ years.

Brad Westcott
10-13-2009, 2:43 PM
WOW!

I am amazed at all the responses.

I can appreciate Norm teaching basic techniques and if that was the intent of the show, then what he demonstrated so far is acceptable for 95% of most builder grade cabinets.

But if were my house and I had Norm Abrams available to build it, I think I would have asked him to show me his best work.

Now I don't recall seeing the series and maybe later he will surprise with me a really cool technology, but so far it does seem to be a 101 of cabinet making. I guess I was hoping to see what a craftsman of Norm's stature would do in a kitchen for cabinets if you let him loose in a friend's home. I do my best work when doing work for friends. I want to keep them.

I am one of the later when it comes to cabinet making for kitchens I do. I do not use any fasteners, nails, screws, etc. Everything is mortis and tenon, I use solid woods, I dado my face frames to the carcass, and it is all glued up. I also don't put a top on my lower cabinets. I see it as a waste of wood. You will never see it and once the plywood for the countertop is down, it is as strong as it will ever need to be for various surfaces.

Again, for what he was building, his techniques are fast, clean, and effective. I was just hoping to learn more from the master.

Bill Arnold
10-13-2009, 2:53 PM
... The cabinets have inset doors and drawer fronts. Additionally the face frames are beaded on the inset. The drawers have high end, concealed, self-closing slides. These cabinets will last 100+ years.
Actually, Norm shows examples of inset and overlay doors and drawers. He also shows flat panel and raised panels in doors as well as matching the drawer profile to the raised panels. In addition to those options, he shows six different joinery methods for the face frame.

Lit Jones
10-13-2009, 2:59 PM
I copied his technique and material choices almost exactly, but with a few minor tweaks:

I rabbetted the back so that the top fits into the back. Norm did the reverse, and I never understood why. My method meant that all the dados were on the sides and back. This left the horizontals (bottom, top, (and sometimes middle shelf)) whole, and the dimensions more uniform. The verticles (sides, back) are all the same height, and the horizontals (bottom, shelf, top) are all the same dimension. Much less chance of mistakes that way.
I made the sub-bases as separate units. This is a more efficient use of the plywood, as you can get 6 base cabinet sides from a single sheet. I also think that the install is easier with separate sub-bases.
My dados and rabbets were 3/8 " deep versus Norm's 1/4" ones.

I found that careful measurement, cutting, and a decent panel sled to assure squareness insured that the cabinets went together perfectly square. The dados and rabbets made sure of this. The cabinets are certainly heavier than store-bought ones, but they sure are solid.

sean m. titmas
10-13-2009, 3:10 PM
I do. I do not use any fasteners, nails, screws, etc. Everything is mortis and tenon, I use solid woods, I dado my face frames to the carcass, and it is all glued up. I also don't put a top on my lower cabinets. I see it as a waste of wood. You will never see it and once the plywood for the countertop is down, it is as strong as it will ever need to be for various surfaces.

Do you use plywood for the carcasses? or do you use solid wood?
From you comment about a full top being a waste of wood i would assume that you use some plywood for the boxes but than you say that you use only solid wood. Dont you find that to be a conflict of beliefs? in one breath you say a full top is a waste of wood and in the next breath you say you dont use ply but rather solid wood for the boxes. What gives?

Sean Nagle
10-13-2009, 3:14 PM
On another point, I would contend that painted cabinets are not necessarily "low-end". Laying down paint worthy of furniture or even built-ins is no easy, nor cheap task.

Joe Wiliams
10-13-2009, 3:15 PM
IMO... The NYW is a 'teaching' type of show for the average homeowner like most of the PBS DIY line up rather than a 'show off, look what I can do' show.

Those of you who have a number years of experience under your tool belt expecting to learn something new are expecting too much.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2009, 3:25 PM
"I was just hoping to learn more from the master."

Well, therein lies the rub. (Wait. Let me get down behind this rock first, just to be safe...) Norm is really not "the master". He has never portrayed himself as such. As many have pointed out, he is more of a teacher of the basics of making. His techniques have improved over the years but he has never taken a "lofty" approach to anything. This is one of the reasons he has had such universal appeal.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-13-2009, 3:33 PM
Just like my old shop teacher.

Jeff Monson
10-13-2009, 3:39 PM

Well, therein lies the rub. (Wait. Let me get down behind this rock first, just to be safe...) Norm is really not "the master". He has never portrayed himself as such. As many have pointed out, he is more of a teacher of the basics of making. His techniques have improved over the years but he has never taken a "lofty" approach to anything. This is one of the reasons he has had such universal appeal.

+1 well said David

Cody Colston
10-13-2009, 7:05 PM

That's all true. There are several persons on this forum that do finer work than Norm portrays on his show. Besides it was Russell Morash who gave him the title of "Master Carpenter", strictly as a TV gimmick.

If you have watched many episodes of The NYW, then you have likely heard Norm make the statement that "you don't have to be a master woodworker to create fine furniture for your home"...or something to that effect.

Anyway, the goal of the show is to build furniture that the average viewer can also build...you hear that a lot, too, when he's perusing one of the antique shops for ideas. He will reject many good-looking pieces as being "too complicated" for the audience...and they are.

I can remember watching Norm when I first became interested in woodworking and thinking that the man was an absolute wizard at it. It was quite a while before I became familiar with other methods and knew enough to compare them to Norm's.

I know a lot more now than I did back then but I still enjoy watching the NYW and will continue to watch the reruns as long as they are shown. Norm may not be a Master Woodworker but he is certainly a Master Teacher, IMNSHO.

Brad Westcott
10-14-2009, 2:51 PM
Do you use plywood for the carcasses? or do you use solid wood?
From you comment about a full top being a waste of wood i would assume that you use some plywood for the boxes but than you say that you use only solid wood. Dont you find that to be a conflict of beliefs? in one breath you say a full top is a waste of wood and in the next breath you say you dont use ply but rather solid wood for the boxes. What gives?

Plywood is used as a base for the countertop and goes over the entire counter surface to provide some stability, cabinet to cabinet. This is also the surface like granite or silestone will sit on. That is what I am referrring to.

Brad Westcott
10-14-2009, 2:57 PM
I have seen the older commissioned works of Norm Abrams on TOH. That quailty of work may not impress you but it does me and it shows what the man is really capable of when you lets his reigns loose. Not so sure I could do his job under those conditions.

Matt Winterowd
10-14-2009, 5:07 PM
Now I don't recall seeing the series and maybe later he will surprise with me a really cool technology, but so far it does seem to be a 101 of cabinet making.

You mean the series starting with episodes titled "Kitchen Cabinet Basics Parts 1 and 2"? ;)