PDA

View Full Version : Making Parafin Wax more pliable?

Dennis Peacock
09-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Anybody know how I can make parafin wax more "soft"? I have been using "dental wax" during the process of making FPP pens. I am now out of dental wax and I refuse to pay $6 in shipping cost for $1 worth of product.

I melted some parafin in the over on top of some wax paper to make it a thin layer. It's really too brittle and needs to be "softer".

Any idears?

Bob Smalser
09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Try mixing a little Crisco in it over a double boiler.

Commercial "soft" wax has tallow in it to soften.

The wax brew I make to rehab oilskin clothing uses linseed to the same effect:

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Paste wax is simply beeswax with mineral spirits mixed in to make it softer and more pliable.

Donnie Raines
09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
I have used Bob's suggestion with good results.....and I think it is what you are after too....

Dennis Peacock
09-22-2004, 1:41 PM
I got plenty of beeswax....I get it locally for $1 per pound. I'll give that a try this week or early next.

Thanks for the tips and assistance.

John Bush
09-22-2004, 3:12 PM
Hi Dennis,
What type of dental wax do you need? I have access to most types. Sounds like you are using it to polish the finished pens. I have some acrylic polishing compound that developes a vey high luster as well. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll send you some. John.

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 4:07 PM
Have you considered using carnuba and a buffing wheel? It's considerably harder than paraffin or beeswax and will last a little longer on the finished product.

Dennis Peacock
09-22-2004, 7:28 PM
Hi Dennis,
What type of dental wax do you need? I have access to most types. Sounds like you are using it to polish the finished pens. I have some acrylic polishing compound that developes a vey high luster as well. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll send you some. John.

No......I'm using it to plug each end of the brass tubes to keep the poly glue out of the tubes. Makes cleanup a LOT easier.

The dental wax I have been using I got from Arizona Silhouette and is Pink in color and about 3" by 6" by about 1/16" thick. You got some thin softish wax you can part with? :confused:

Ted Calver
09-22-2004, 8:05 PM
Dennis,
I solved the problem of glue getting into the tubes by inserting a drinking straw thru each tube (and extending a couple of inches out the other end) before applying glue. The straws were in a bargain bin in a bag of a hundred for less than a buck. They fit perfectly inside the FPP tubes and keep the glue out. Also, since the glue does not stick to the straws, they are reusable for a few times. Works good for me and is cheaper than wax. Give it a shot!
Regards,
Ted

Harry Pye
09-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Dennis, you may want to check with your dentist or with a dental supply house. The wax that Arizona Silhouette sells is refered to as 'Plate Wax.' I suppose it is pink in order to match the color of the patients gums. Yuck!