PDA

View Full Version : Pen lathe?

Kenneth Whiting
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM
My fiancée has been watching along as I spend most of the time I am on the computer looking at wood turning videos and tools. Now she wants to turn pens. Since I am still figuring out what all I need, I'm not sure what she needs. We are figuring most of the stuff will be the same, just different sizes. I have found mini lathes that range from $120 to $300. I thought the craftsman would be decent but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? :p

She had hardly any interest in wood when she bought my lathe for Valentine's. Now she is out there with me every time I am working on something. I made her this box that year. If she knew it would lead to all of this she would have just made me dinner.:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Jet mini and Rikon are good lathe for pen turning. If that is all she will do maybe a turncrafter pro. I would steer clear of Craftsman lathe. Just ask me. Warranty sucks and it was in the metal pile in a year. I have the Rikon for pen turning, bottle stoppers, mini birdhouses and ornaments. It has been a work horse.

David Drickhamer
10-11-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree with Bernie. Jet and Rikon are both good machines. I have a Jet mini set up just for pens.

Until the end of the month Woodcraft has the Rikon on sale. As far as tools, I use the same tools for pens as I do everything else.

I also would stay away from the Craftsman.

Dave

Jim Sebring
10-12-2009, 12:45 AM
You better turn that fiancee into a wife pretty soon. She sounds like a real keeper.;)

I've managed to keep the same wife for 46+ years, even tho she calls my antique tool collection 'junk'. I told her awhile back that I get to die first just so she has to deal with all my 'junk'. :rolleyes:

Robert Parrish
10-12-2009, 8:22 AM
Take a look at some of the complete packages from Penn State and others. They usually provide all the tools you need to get started.

Carroll Courtney
10-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Both can sign up for a class on learning how to turn pens at Woodcraft.They have the Rikon on sale right now,279.00 I think.I also will be signing up for a pen turning class----Carroll

Greg Just
10-12-2009, 1:08 PM
You might consider looking for a used lathe. Many who buy the smaller lathes upgrade and are willing to sell at very reasonable prices. Watch Craigs list in you area.+