PDA

View Full Version : De-rusting with vinegar

Harlan Barnhart
10-11-2009, 8:25 PM
Has anyone tried this? I didn't have too much lemon juice or other sources of citric acid on hand so I tried distilled apple vinegar (5% solution) right out of the jug. So far it seems to be working great. I am soaking two back saw blades which were nearly 100% surface rusted (no pitting). The rust has turned to a black, oily goo and is lifting off, exposing bare metal below. So far so good.

Robert Rozaieski
10-11-2009, 8:37 PM
Yep, should work just fine. I haven't tried it myself for removing rust but I do use it for removing the zinc plating from modern plated screws to make them look older.

Ron Petley
10-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Buy some citric acid at the local healt food store, workes great.
Cheers Ron.

James Davis
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I live about 20 miles from this store and have bought this stuff in the store and it is the best way too remove rust that I have found. I highly recomend them to do business with. and the price is right. http://www.yodersmart.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=206&products_id=4892

Give them a try, they are great people to deal with.

James

Zach Dillinger
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I've used vinegar to de-rust and it works very well. I've also used it to sharpen files and rasps... it takes a few days but it really does work for that as well. I say go for it!

curtis rosche
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
i rehabed a whole plane and a delta american boy scroll saw. with just vinegar and a wire wheel. let the metal sit in the vinegar for a while, like a week or 2. it will even take off the paint. leting is sit for a few days will help take off rust. letting it sit for a week or 2, and the rust will totally come off with a light brush

Andy Hsieh
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I have used it and it works fine - you just need to soak no longer than 24 hours - make sure it is washed thoroughly and immediately coat with some type of oil and endure that lifeless drab gray the metal become after doing it.

Plus the fact you get the urges for salad everytime you sharpen the iron.

andy

Harlan Barnhart
10-12-2009, 9:44 PM
You guys are right on. It works great but takes time. I have two back saws soaking for three days now and they are about ready. I don't think I will need to do anything more than brush with a plastic bristle brush and the metal will be completely bare. It does seem like the teeth are a little sharper as well. Maybe its my imagination....

Zach Dillinger
10-13-2009, 9:37 AM
You guys are right on. It works great but takes time. I have two back saws soaking for three days now and they are about ready. I don't think I will need to do anything more than brush with a plastic bristle brush and the metal will be completely bare. It does seem like the teeth are a little sharper as well. Maybe its my imagination....

The files I derusted in vinegar definitely sharpened up. It seems the same principle could apply to saw teeth. I wouldn't rely on it to sharpen but it definitely seems possible.

george wilson
10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
A dull saw tooth will have a vastly more rounded cutting edge than a file. I don't see how vinegar could sharpen a saw. Files have been sharpened with acid for many years.

Matt Ranum
10-13-2009, 1:41 PM
Here is a before and after using vinegar. It was sort of an experiment on some tools in very very rough shape. I was pretty pleased with the end result.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mr_matt3764/DSCF2298.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mr_matt3764/DSCF2310.jpg