PDA

View Full Version : Custom Byrd Shelix for Jointer

Alan Turner
09-22-2004, 8:03 AM
Several months ago I pulled the trigger and ordered a special Byrd shelix cutterhead for my old iron 12" jointer. It arrived, and was a disappointment in that it left ridges about .004 deep. This meant that I could not use the jointer cut for edge gluing right off the jointer, and so I spoke with Tom and Gary at Byrd and sent them samples of the cut. After a bit they got back to me (I was not pushing it time-wise) and said that they would like to mill me another. It arrived, and I installed it this weekend, with help from a wonderful step son and his torch and 20 ton hydraulic press. The bearings were tough, and 2 were lost in the removal process.
Well, I write to report that the new cutterhead is everything I hoped it would be. There are still tracks, but I would put them at about .0005" and not a problem at all. This is quite an upgrade.
Byrd was a total pleasure to deal with. I hated for them to go to the expense of having to do a second head, but it really was required. I think mine was the first one they made after they relocated their shop, and my guess is that the milling machine got bounced around a bit and wasn't reset at first.
Anyway, I recommend them without hesitation.
I have a 20" 4 post Asian planer, and I am wondering whether the machine is of a quality to justify the Shelix head for it. Since it is a standard item for Byrd, it will be less expensive than the jointer head, which was a 22" journal. Has anyone out there pulled the trigger on such a purchase?
Alan

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 10:50 AM
I actually asked Byrd for a quote on my FS-41 Elite about 4 months ago and never heard back from them. I haven't pursued it yet as I was only half-serious at the time but it might interesting to hear what it would cost me. It seems that Mike Mastin with his latest flury of nearly-free high-end equipment, might be pulling the trigger on another shelix....

Dan Racette
10-21-2004, 4:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3846199011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Chris Padilla
10-21-2004, 5:03 PM
Interesting...anyone else??