PDA

View Full Version : Glue Up Tip!

Brad Westcott
10-11-2009, 7:51 PM
I have tried several diffent ways to optimize my gluing station and save money while doing so.

I invariably always forget to wash out the glue up brushes and they wind up drying and are hard as a rock. Instant garbage and I have to go get another brush. I tried keeping them in plastic bags with water or a coffee can with water, but I invariably forget to place them in the container or I knock them over and spill water all over my work area.

If you go to the paint department at your local hardware store, about the only thing you will find is a five pack of brushes selling for around $5.00
This can get expensive over the coarse of a large project or two.

I have looked for a cheaper glue up brush and several years ago I ran across a very cost effective solution. I found acid brushes in the plumbing department. They are usually used for flux and other plumbing greases applied to pipe joints. They sell for $1.40 a five pack. All the ones I have seen have an aluminum handle and are about 4 or 5 inches in length. They work great and if you accidently forget to wash one out, you are not out as much money.

Hope this helps.

David Peterson MN
10-11-2009, 7:59 PM
A couple days ago I found a 5 pack of glue up brushes at the borg. They sound similar to your description. They cost approx. $1.20 or so for the 5 pack. I too always forget to wash my glue brushes.

doug faist
10-11-2009, 8:11 PM
Brad - keep an eye out at local hardware stores, the borg, even the internet. Every so often you'll see a close out special for a bag of these, 20 or so, for a couple bucks. I've got quite a few and I'm surprised at how often I grab one to spread glue, to apply a bit of finish or to touch up a wall ding. Handy little suckers.

Doug

Brad Westcott
10-11-2009, 8:16 PM
Brad - keep an eye out at local hardware stores, the borg, even the internet. Every so often you'll see a close out special for a bag of these, 20 or so, for a couple bucks. I've got quite a few and I'm surprised at how often I grab one to spread glue, to apply a bit of finish or to touch up a wall ding. Handy little suckers.

Doug

You can buy a gross for $10 bucks here (+shipping and tax).

http://www.solobrushes.com/Family.asp?FamilyID=162&Cat1ID=11

That may just last me a while!!!!!!

P.S. That makes it 14.4 cents a brush!!!!!!

Rick Moyer
10-11-2009, 8:18 PM
I picked up a pack of these one of the times I was there: http://grizzly.com/products/G3722

about 18 cents per brush.

Anthony Whitesell
10-11-2009, 8:27 PM
and don't forget our friends at Harbor Freight. P/N 41338 36 for $3.99 plus shipping.

This is the type of stuff I buy from them...they can't screw these up.

Brad Westcott
10-11-2009, 8:27 PM
I picked up a pack of these one of the times I was there: http://grizzly.com/products/G3722

My math says 33 cents.

Brad Westcott
10-11-2009, 8:31 PM
and don't forget our friends at Harbor Freight. P/N 41338 36 for $3.99 plus shipping.

I can hear you all the way down here on that one!!!!:D

Jon Grider
10-11-2009, 8:41 PM
I don't use brushes anymore. My daytime job finds me at a label printing operation, and I salvaged a few thousand 3"x3" 15 mil polycarbonate cut offs from the garbage. They work wonderfully at spreading an even coat of glue on board edges and they clean up easily, the glue readily flakes off when it's dry. If anyone ones to give them a try, email me and I'll send you a few.

Bill Huber
10-11-2009, 8:46 PM
My math says 33 cents.

So they get $8.95 for a pack of 50. (25 3/8" brushes and 25 3/4" brushes)

$8.95 / 50 = .179 which is rounded to 18 cents.

Dale Lesak
10-11-2009, 9:02 PM
Check with your local hardware suppler. Get a price for a box. my count was 144 and the cost was 7 something. just less then 5c each. Got 4 boxes at that time. over a year ago and still working out of the first box. They come in different sizes 1/4, 5/16 and 1/2 wide. the 5/16 and 1/2 work best.

Brad Westcott
10-11-2009, 9:05 PM
So they get $8.95 for a pack of 50. (25 3/8" brushes and 25 3/4" brushes)

$8.95 / 50 = .179 which is rounded to 18 cents.

Sorry, I was looking at the chip brush price which was $15 right next to the actual price.

Brad Westcott
10-11-2009, 9:08 PM
I don't use brushes anymore. My daytime job finds me at a label printing operation, and I salvaged a few thousand 3"x3" 15 mil polycarbonate cut offs from the garbage. They work wonderfully at spreading an even coat of glue on board edges and they clean up easily, the glue readily flakes off when it's dry. If anyone ones to give them a try, email me and I'll send you a few.

I use a standard roller gluer for flat edges and panels.

I use the brushes primarily for mortis and tenon work.

Thanks for the idea and the offer though.

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2009, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I also look out for a deal at Harbor Freight and buy a bag or two.

I picked a pack of this item with my last Lee Valley order. They seem to work well. Reusable. Still using the first one after many months.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48479&cat=1,110,42967

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/adhesives/99k5010s1.jpg

Curtis Gray 1
10-11-2009, 9:35 PM
I bought a 36 pack at Harbor Freight for $2.00 last week.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
tooth brushes.
Cheap, boilable, effective and imminently cleanable.
you can bend the handle to suit your use
You'll only lose one when you leave it harden with a waterproof glue.

Brian Penning
10-11-2009, 10:39 PM
You can buy a gross for $10 bucks here (+shipping and tax).

http://www.solobrushes.com/Family.asp?FamilyID=162&Cat1ID=11

That may just last me a while!!!!!!

P.S. That makes it 14.4 cents a brush!!!!!!

What I like about those brushes is you can get smaller sizes for dowel holes.

Hmmm...no one uses their finger anymore?

harry strasil
10-11-2009, 11:01 PM
you can also get the glue spreaders at Woodcraft 6 for $3.50. Before I found them I used acid brushes, and for dowel holes I use a nail for small ones and a straw from a fast food joint for the larger ones. I used to remove the foam from the cheap foam brushes to use as glue spreaders and filed or cut notches in the end. An ordinary hair comb works well for spreading large areas. And most glue doesn't stick to the plastic comb.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/glusprdr01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/glusprdr02.jpg

Chris Tsutsui
10-12-2009, 1:03 AM
I have the HF ones.

Sometimes the bristles fall out but maybe I just got a bad batch.

Eddie Darby
10-12-2009, 9:07 AM
you can also get the glue spreaders at Woodcraft 6 for $3.50. Before I found them I used acid brushes, and for dowel holes I use a nail for small ones and a straw from a fast food joint for the larger ones. I used to remove the foam from the cheap foam brushes to use as glue spreaders and filed or cut notches in the end. An ordinary hair comb works well for spreading large areas. And most glue doesn't stick to the plastic comb.
Another way of doing this is to get on old scraper blade, and Dremel some grooves into it, to spread the glue. This way you will not be temped to comb your hair accidentally with glue!!!:eek::D

Paul Atkins
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Another approach is to buy a really expensive brush at the art store. If you pay more than 15 bucks for a brush, I'll bet you never will forget to wash it out.

John Gregory
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
For large areas I use those fake credit cards we all get in the mail. I only keep the plastic ones. When I open the envelope, I tell my wife, that Visa sent us a new glue spreader.

Jim Rimmer
10-12-2009, 1:04 PM

If you buy a new saw from Grizz they will give you 50 of these brushes. ;)

Michael Weber
10-12-2009, 1:18 PM

I have some of the HF brushes. In my experience the tend to lose their bristles and I have to stop and pick them out of the glue. Others I've had don't do that. YMMV

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 1:18 PM
Another approach is to buy a really expensive brush at the art store. If you pay more than 15 bucks for a brush, I'll bet you never will forget to wash it out.

That is one strategy. But forget just once and that gross of brushes for $10 really starts to look like a deal!!!

And if you ask my wife, I would forget how to breathe if it were not involuntary.:D

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 1:28 PM
If you buy a new saw from Grizz they will give you 50 of these brushes. ;)

I will try that on my wife but I get the feeling that it is not going to fly!!!!;)

Jason Beam
10-12-2009, 1:33 PM
I picked up a bundle of i think 600 acid brushes at a woodworking show about 5 years ago ... i'm still about 500 brushes left - it'll take me awhile! :D

If you find your acid brushes are a little too flexible, wrap a bit of masking tape around the bristles leaving about 1/4" exposed. This stiffens them up nicely.

Bill Arnold
10-12-2009, 1:35 PM
Acid brushes for glue application is nothing new. HF has them and some horsehair brushes that are similar. You can buy acid brushes a lot of places like others have pointed out.

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 1:41 PM
What I like about those brushes is you can get smaller sizes for dowel holes.

Hmmm...no one uses their finger anymore?

I only use my finger after my last brush has dried up!:(

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 1:44 PM
For large areas I use those fake credit cards we all get in the mail. I only keep the plastic ones. When I open the envelope, I tell my wife, that Visa sent us a new glue spreader.

Isn't that nice of them?

Can I have them send you all of my "glue spreaders" too?:rolleyes:

Bill Arnold
10-12-2009, 1:47 PM
I only use my finger after my last brush has dried up!:(
Fingers were around long before brushes! :D

(Real woodworkers get their fingers into their work just like good cooks!)
:rolleyes:

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 1:53 PM
Fingers were around long before brushes! :D

Yeah, you should have seen the size of my mortis holes before I discovered brushes!!!!

Howard Acheson
10-12-2009, 2:11 PM
If you are using a waterbased adhesive like Titebond or Titebond II, you can easily salvage glue hardened brushes. Just soak them in very hot or boiling water. After a couple of minutes, you can begin to work the bristles and get all the old adhesive out.

I have 5 or 6 acid brushes that I have been using for more than ten years.

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 2:21 PM
If you are using a waterbased adhesive like Titebond or Titebond II, you can easily salvage glue hardened brushes. Just soak them in very hot or boiling water. After a couple of minutes, you can begin to work the bristles and get all the old adhesive out.

Thanks for the tip!

I will have to try that from here on out. I may have bought my last acid brush!!!:D

Tony Bilello
10-12-2009, 2:33 PM

They go on sale at HF quite a bit for $1.99 for the package of 36.
Believe me when I say I am NOT a fan of HF but their acid brushes are as good as anyone elses. I buy 5 or 10 packages at a time. I use them for epoxy as well.

harry strasil
10-12-2009, 2:37 PM
cut SWMBO's credit card up to use as flexible glue spreaders, its cheaper for you in the Loooooooongggg run.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-12-2009, 4:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/144-Acid-Flux-Brushes-1-4-Wide-6-Long-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ380138221469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item588200ef9d

Ebay Item # 38013822146
144 1/4" wide, 6" long brushes running $9.99 shipped. Costs @ 7 cents a brush.

glenn bradley
10-12-2009, 5:52 PM
I have the LV spreaders and am still using the first one I tried so I would call them very economical. I always have a small cup of water standing by when I use an acid brush. If you keep knocking these over, hot glue the cup to a heavy board. I have packs of acid brushes I bought for a few cents apiece that have yet to be opened. A few moments at the sink can keep a brush going for a long, long time. Maybe I am just cheap. I reuse disposable gloves quite a few times as well before I recycle them.

Gene Howe
10-12-2009, 7:04 PM
If you use credit cards for glue spreaders, cut them with the wife's pinking shears. Spreads better, IMHO.

Rick Gifford
10-12-2009, 7:16 PM
I use these all the time for glueing.

They go on sale for $1.99 often, thats about 5.5 cents each:

36 Piece 1/2" Horsehair Bristle Acid Shop Brushes http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
Acid brushes
Save by buying in bulk.

Heavy duty horsehair bristles handle everything from glue to oil to flux
Metal tubular handles

7/8" bristle length; 6-1/8" overall length; 1/2" wide

ITEM 41338-4VGA

$3.99 normal price

Scott Hildenbrand
10-12-2009, 8:09 PM
That is indeed a good price, so long as you don't have to pay tax or shipping. Still though with tax the most is around 6 cents.. Nice nice.

Lee Schierer
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Used tooth brushes do an excellent job of spreading glue. They are easy to come by for most folks as they wear out for tooth use about every 4-6 months. I leave mine soaking in a glass jar in the sink in my shop between uses. If I forget and one dries out, I just toss it and get another.