PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bodoni Font for Xenetech

Barb Macdonald
10-11-2009, 6:43 PM
Don't laugh, rotary engraver version 5.6, for windows 98 se.
As primitive as possible.
I'm not kidding;)
I've e-mailed Fred at QualityOne, he's the original supplier of the font, and I'm sure his reaction will be comical. Just wondering if anybody else might answer before he does.
If he does. I've looked everywhere. I have the other three fonts I purchased from Fred, on disk. Where is it?? I have access to the new re-builds by CD or, (don't laugh again, please) 3.5" floppies.
The other disks worked a dang charm.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, All!

I was able to re-build everything, when old bessie computer died, but this one little, extremely weird, font.
It was our first purchase of a "custom" manual font for the old manual rotary table-tops, too, as I recall.
Bodoni.fnt.

Help??
Oh, p.s Abigail is excellent, her exhaust issues solved.
Merci, the Creek RULES!

Epilog Legend EXT 60 Watt (Abigail), couple of Xenetech Rotaries hoping they can engrave Bodoni again soon.

Scott Shepherd
10-11-2009, 7:52 PM
Barb, I thought those fonts had to be "unlocked" so to speak. Seems like we had to pick 30 fonts from day one and pay for any additional. I don't think it was as simple and just finding the .ttf file. I seem to recall it being much more complicated, but it's been years since I went through it, so I could be wrong. We have the discs, but probably have the same problem you do. It's running W95, uses 3.5" discs and no internet connection. So we have no new computers that we can get info from it with. No DVD writer on it, no USB, so I feel your pain.

On a side note, we met a vendor at a show recently that offers an upgrade to it. It was a new board that allowed you to use any newer windows version and do all the things you should be able to do with it.

Barb Macdonald
10-11-2009, 8:42 PM
super magical fonts.
Ala the wizard known as Fred.

I know what you're saying. I have "unlocked" the xenetech, (thank you, Xenetech, I am sure they're grumbling under their breath). I then loaded the fonts supplied by Fred eons ago.

It's kind of ironic, that only the Bodoni has disappeared.
It's the first font I ever "manually" engraved, on a Newhermes manual machine.
The good old days;)
My elbows have been much happier with me, with the advent of computers.
Thanks for the thoughts, Scott.
I know, I know.

They's paid for. I admire their durability, await their demise, but do not desire their successors.
yet.

Joe Pelonio
10-11-2009, 10:18 PM
This reminds me of my first vinyl cutter, a Gerber 4B that I had when I started the sign biz in 1992. It came with Helvetical Medium, Bold, Times New Roman and Avant Garde. Each was on a small board. I added Futura and Brush Script at $110 each. It was self contained, no computer involved,
and really hard to program with a one line LCD screen. Logos? Project on a wall and trace onto paper, then cut the vinyl with utility knife. You really had to be an artist.

Ah, those were the days. :rolleyes:

Barb Macdonald
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Remember the "hot-tip" plotters? yeah, they were a BAD idea. Nothing like the smell of burning vinyl in the morning:)

Roy Brewer
10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I've e-mailed Fred at QualityOne, he's the original supplier of the font, and I'm sure his reaction will be comical. Barb,
Knowing that Fred is "religious" about answering his eMail, I suspect he's already emailed you his Bodini. But is it different from the Xenetech Bodini? I can PMail that to you if you can figure how to step it down to the floppy(or send it to you on a floppy if you have the time).

Barb Macdonald
10-13-2009, 9:31 AM
OH, My memory just jogged...

Xeentech Bodoni.. Did they supply one? Sheeesh, I think you're right.
Not positive, of course, it was a "few" years ago:)
I remember not liking a couple of the Xenetech Fonts, which is why I used a few of Fred the Wizard's Fonts.
Gah. Did they have a Bodoni Font in Xenetech?
I know I can use TTF's.
I'd like an FNT.
My old machines are still there.. The order is now two weeks old. EEEEK.

Hmmmm. I wonder.
This could get even more interesting.
The darlin' old computer can also take CD's. How advanced:)
It's a little finicky on the CD's it will accept.
Thank goodness for that other windows millenium computer. It is good for something! Has a great CD burner app. that Corel likes.
Corel 8.
:)
dinosaur out.