PDA

View Full Version : need help finding wood

curtis rosche
10-11-2009, 6:25 PM
does anyone know of a place that sells acacia wood? i have searched a couple places and they were either all sold out, or didnt sell anything but flooring.

John Beaver
10-11-2009, 6:50 PM
Curtis,
Don't know how much help this is, but there is a member of the AAW Glendale Woodturners Guild (Los Angeles, CA) that has a ton of Black Acacia. (some beautiful pieces) I don't know his name, but if you're interested, p.m. me and I will do some digging for you.

David E Keller
10-11-2009, 6:50 PM
Curtis,

There's a seller on Ebay known as rusty-one-1 that occasionally has acacia blanks... He doesn't have any bowl blanks listed currently, but you might contact him and see if he can find something for you.

There's a website texaswoodcrafts.net that sells something that he calls sweet acacia or huisache. I've ordered texas ebony from him previously with no trouble.

I looked up acacia on wikipedia and there are over 1000 varieties. Pretty much anything with 'wattle' or 'mulga' in the name seems to qualify. Also, I believe koa is considered an acacia. In that case, I've ordered from koawoodhawaii.com with good luck.

Hope that helps

keller

Christopher Fletcher
10-11-2009, 8:08 PM
I've heard it's hard as nails, but so was the pecan I've turned...

David Christopher
10-11-2009, 8:59 PM
Try "got wood" on ebay or their website

Leo Van Der Loo
10-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Curtis, Very much like the other Acacia trees, Black and Honey Locust, Kentucky Coffee tree are all in the Legume family as are all the others in the Acacia group, the Roemer Catclaw and Wright Catclaw are basically shrubs and you wont get much of a bowl blank out of them, you will have to get Acacia from other places than N.America, probably, unless someone has some specimen planted in a garden etc.

Jarrod McGehee
10-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Man, I've turned Black acacia and that stuff is hard as heck! but it looks nice. turn it green if you can

curtis rosche
10-13-2009, 6:42 AM
thanks for the help, i am no longer looking for the wood though. the person who i was gonna make a bowl for had decided to try their own hand at turning