PDA

View Full Version : Best saw blades for different types of saws

Stephen Saar
10-11-2009, 3:38 PM
I've done some research on this site and using google on what the best type of saw blades are for different types of saws, but I still can't seem to come to any definite conclusions. So here is what I've read:

1. For RAS and Sliding Compound Miter saws a negative rake is best, normally between -5 to -10 degrees.
2. For Table Saws the rake should always be positive, but the exact rake depends heavily on the type of material you're cutting, and the type of cutting you're doing i.e. cross cutting vs. ripping.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys or do you think these rules don't apply? I'm about to get a RAS to add to my collection of TS and compound sliding miter saws and right now they all have cheap blades. Soon I'm going to upgrade them all to nicer blades. I plan on getting a WW10407125 (10" 40T 1/8" kerf) blade for my TS. A Freud LU91R010 (10" 60T .090" kerf) for the sliding compound miter saw. And finally a WW16607170 (16" 60T 11/64" kerf) for the RAS with a 10" dampener. I will probably eventually buy some different blades for the TS to do additional types of cuts, but I figured the WW2 would be a good choice for a general purpose blade that can do most things well.

Any feedback on my ideas is welcome.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Bill Arnold
10-11-2009, 4:55 PM
Overall, you seem to be on the right track with your blade selection. The main thing I'd change is your choice of a thin kerf blade for your SCMS. I prefer a full kerf blade to reduce deflection.

For my tablesaw, I have a rip, combo and plywood(fine crosscut) blades -- all Freud. I know WW has a good reputation, but they cost more than I'm willing to pay. I've never had any issues using Freud blades.

Michael Prisbylla
10-11-2009, 5:27 PM
You seem to be on the right track with your choices. If you only plan to crosscut, the blade you chose will be fine. If you want to do miter, bevel, miter-bevel cutting or ripping on it, there are better choices. The Forrest WWI with a triple chip tooth is an excellent all around RAS blade. The Freud LU83 combo blade, I am told, is also an excellent all around blade, though I doubt it comes that big.

Tom Walz
10-12-2009, 11:20 AM
You are off to a good start.

There is an article in the latest Fine Woodworking that covers this.

We also have info on our web site at http://www.carbideprocessors.com/tech_saw_blade_index.htm