PDA

View Full Version : Wood in Phoenix?

Mike Vermeil
09-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Wow, I've been really busy and haven't been here for 10 months or so - and has this place grown. Glad to see it.

Anyway, I've moved to the Phoenix area and was wondering where the good wood sources are - solids and plywoods. I've seen a couple names in the phone book, but that's about it. Any small mills like I was used to in the southern & eastern parts of Indiana?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don Selke
09-22-2004, 2:23 AM
Hi Mike:
Welcome back to the Valley of the Sun. Here is a list of suppliers that I use in the valley.

(1) American Hardwoods 1401 E. Hadley Street Phoenix Sheet goods and hardwoods.
(2) D & J Wood Resources 6920 Allison Road Chandler AZ Sheet Goods and hardwoods.
(3) Heartwood 1605 W. 12th Place Tempe AZ
(4) Timberline on Southern east of Mesa Dr. Mesa (look them up in the phone book.

In addition, there is Woodworkers Source which is south of I-10 on 40th St.
I have been told that there is a supplier in Chandler just south of the Chandler airport. I have not been to this location, Chandler Hardwoods.
If you find anything else, let me know and I will give them a try!!;)
As far as I know, there are no saw mills in Phoenix, all hardwood supplies are shipped into the area.
I have been told that there is a saw mill in Toucson AZ which specializes in Mesquete, not sure on this source.

Greg Heppeard
09-22-2004, 9:38 AM
I know that they are going to open a Woodcraft there soon, if not already. It's going to be under new management, so all the old stories going around from the other guy should not hold true anymore. I'm not sure of the location.

Brian Austin
09-22-2004, 9:43 AM
The Woodcraft will be in Chandler, near Elliot and Arizona Ave. Not sure about opening dates.

"Timberline" is actually Timber Hardwoods. I typically purchase my rough stock and plywood here. Better quality and pricing.

I've heard about Chandler Hardwoods, including the fact that they supply some of the retailers in Phoenix, but haven't been there.

Woodworker's Source has a new facility in north Phoenix, just up the road from their old shop. Much bigger and nicer but their stock hasn't really expanded into the empty warehouse space. Prices tend to run a little more expensive than Timber but they've got a ton of exotics.

Mike Vermeil
09-22-2004, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll check 'em out.

Mike

Michael Ballent
09-22-2004, 4:19 PM
I was glad to hear that WoodCraft is coming back to the area, just wish that they were not so far to the east. The new location will be about 40 miles from my house :(. There is also a Rockler in the valley located at Tatum and Thunderbird, but that would be a hike for you.

Welcome back to the Creek and to Phoenix :D. Nice to see more folks in here from Phoenix. I was beginning to think no woodworkers existed in Phoenix ;)

Mike Vermeil
09-23-2004, 1:11 AM
Michael,

Based upon what I've seen since arriving in July, there's more professional woodworkers and custom furniture makers making a living here than anywhere else I've ever been (artist enclaves excepted). There seems to be a real market here for high-end custom furniture and built-ins that has spawned a pretty decent sized, diverse industry. I'm not sure how much $ they're all making, but I sure see a lot of adds and the like.

I wonder if there are any woodworking/furniture guilds?

Mike

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2004, 1:20 AM
I know that they are going to open a Woodcraft there soon, if not already. It's going to be under new management, so all the old stories going around from the other guy should not hold true anymore. I'm not sure of the location.

So when you gonna open a Woodcraft in Little Rock, AR? :eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2004, 1:22 AM
Michael,

Based upon what I've seen since arriving in July, there's more professional woodworkers and custom furniture makers making a living here than anywhere else I've ever been (artist enclaves excepted). There seems to be a real market here for high-end custom furniture and built-ins that has spawned a pretty decent sized, diverse industry. I'm not sure how much $ they're all making, but I sure see a lot of adds and the like.

I wonder if there are any woodworking/furniture guilds?

Mike

Mike,

You need to hook up with Scott Whiting in Surprise, AZ. He runs an excellent shapening service, sells BS blades, Everlast and Amana sawblades and will put an edge on your blades and knives that will greatly out do the stock grinds that come on each knife and blade. He is also a ww'er and a great resource. His contact info in on my personal web site under the Woodworker Resource listing.

Lucas Manganaro
09-23-2004, 3:01 AM
Hi to Mike and all others,
Welcome to the neighborhood. I am one of the owners of Heartwood Lumber in Tempe. We stock about 25 species of hardwoods and can usually track down what we do not have. I invite you to come in and take a look around or you can check out some of our stock online at www.heartwoodlumber.net (http://www.heartwoodlumber.net/). Happy woodworking!
Lucas
Heartwood Lumber

Michael Ballent
09-23-2004, 3:17 AM
Hey Lucas, I hope your are feeling better since the incident with the band saw. I am one of the members of the local scrollsaw club run by Bill Heitman. My prayers go out to you for a speedy recovery. I have only been out to your place once, the day the lights went out with Bill and Sandy ;). Welcome to the Creek

Michael Ballent
09-23-2004, 3:22 AM
Not really a guild but there is a woodworking club in Phoenix available at http://www.azfinewoodworkers.org They meet once a month and you can go visit the scroll saw club by visiting http://www.sawdustbill.com (http://www.sawdustbill.com/) and for wood turning there is http://www.azwoodturners.org (http://www.azwoodturners.org/) and in case your wife is interested there is a chapter of Women in woodworking that meets at Rockler once a month.

Jerry Baldwin
09-23-2004, 9:41 AM
Welcome to the valley! Just a correction on the link for the Arizona Association of Fine Woodworkers. The link is http://www.azfinewoodworkers.org.

I'll also put in my vote for Chandler Hardwoods (by the Chandler airport). A nice selection of wood at good prices. You might miss it if you don't look carefully. It's in a old barn and the only sign just says "WOOD".

Michael Ballent
09-23-2004, 1:00 PM
Thanks for keeping me honest, I guess that is what I get for putting a post in past midnight ;) I will update my response to reflect the correct link.

Thanks!!!

Butch Collins
09-23-2004, 3:59 PM
I too can vouch for Chandler Hardwood. Jim has a very nice selection and I have been unable to beat his prices anywhere. He has hardwoods and sheet goods as well as turning blanks. Since I have discovered him, I have not gone anywhere else. He is a one man operation for the most part and has limited hours. He only works to about 1:00 or 2:00 on saturdays.

Chandler Hardwood
3116 S. Adam St.
Chandler AZ
PH: 480-802-0429