PDA

View Full Version : Which Finish Nailer

Steve Schoene
03-25-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm looking for a 16 gauge finish nailer to use for interior trim work. Most interested in consistency of nail driving and reliability. It won't see heavy duty every day use, but I only want to buy this tool once.

Stan Smith
03-25-2003, 10:34 AM
I have the PC 125 brad nailer and PC 250 finishing nailer (16ga). Never had any problem of any kind with either of them, including a jam. Also used to have a PC framing nailer and never a problem with that either. I did change the triggers to safety ones so that you have to pull the trigger for a nail to go in.

Ken Salisbury
03-25-2003, 10:37 AM
I would recommend a Porter Cable

Joe_Ott
03-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Stan Smith and haven't had a problem either. Works great. The same is true for the PC stapler. I also have a Grizzly brad nailer that has never jammed or given me a problem either - FWIW.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the PC stuff.

Joe

Ron Taylor
03-25-2003, 11:37 AM
I have the PC finish nailer and the PC framing nailer. Ditto the comments above. I DO recommend the safety trigger, one pull one nail until you get really experienced and are doing heavy production work. Those buggers fire like a machine gun and they hurt!!!

Bob Boake
03-25-2003, 11:41 AM
I borrowed a porter cable trim gun when doing a remodeling job and midway through I ended up buying a paslode (250-f16??). Both guns performed well. Shot the same 16 gauge nails, neither jammed and have a similar feel. Both have similar mechanisms and same configuration. More alike than different I would say.

I might be inclined to buy an angled nailer. Handy for compound angles on inside corners. But maybe not as it all got hung one way or the other. Pros say that amatures use too many nails anyway.

You might take a look at ubid. they used to sell a lot of factory recon PC nailers and I think had a warranty.

Ken Garlock
03-25-2003, 1:09 PM
The men who framed our house used Senco framing guns, and Paslode finish nail guns. They didn't own any PC equipment. Their big 3 were DeWalt, Paslode, and Senco. The nail guns looked like they had survived several wars, but sounded like a machine gun in bounce nail mode. They also used Hilti nails....

Chris DiCiaccio
03-25-2003, 1:54 PM
I have found that two guns cover 98% of all my woodworking: The Senco 15ga Finish Nailer and the Acuset 18ga Brad Nailer. No jamming from either so far. Surprising to me, I find that I use the Brad Nailer the most.

Dan Stuewe
03-25-2003, 2:39 PM
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet. I like my Bostich 15 gauge finish nailer. The two drawbacks I've found with it are unique nails that are only available (that I've found) in fairly large quantity and a good sized nose pad. I chose the Bostich because of price and it is oil-less (I'm not sure if their 16 gauge is oil-less). My other choice was a refurb DeWalt. Same price as a new Bostich, with a great nose, but it was oiled.

Anyway, I've had the Bostich for a couple of months now (great refurb price on ebay) and it has worked well with the flat mdf and poplar I've hung so far. I'm planning on doing some crown moulding this weekend, so that will be a important test.

BTW, Workbench did a 16 gauge review a few months back, and they liked the Pasalode (sp?) and the Bostich and P-C were "Best Buys".

Kevin Gerstenecker
03-25-2003, 3:24 PM
I have a PC 18 Ga. Brad Nailer, and I really like it, and have had good service with it. I also have a Craftsman 18 Ga. Brad Nailer my LOML gave me as a gift. The Craftsman Gun is Oiless, and it has been a workhorse. It has never given me an ounce of problem, has never jammed, and I have driven TONS of brads with it. I am not sure who the manufacturer is for the Craftsman Brad Nailer, but it is a great nailer. I think that the Brad Nailers have come a long way since their introduction, and probably any name brand will give you great service. One thing that I think is a must is a small regulator at the Gun, so you can adjust the PSI without running back and forth to the compressor or regulator. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it comes in handy when working with material of different species or thicknesses.

Jim Baker
03-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Steve,

I have a Craftsman 18 guage brad nailer that has never given me one ounce of trouble. It works perfectly every time. I couldn't say for sure if their finish nailers are as good, though.

My dad uses a Paslode finish nailer in his construction business. It seems to be very inconsistent on depth of set. I don't know if this is a common problem or if his is in need of some maintenance.

jack duren
03-25-2003, 11:41 PM
senco.....

Von Bickley
03-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Steve,

My choice would be the Senco or Porter Cable. I think either one of these would make you a good nail gun.

My #1 favorite would be the Senco 15ga. Finish Nailer.

Scott Coffelt
03-26-2003, 11:51 AM
If given the choice I would go with one that shoots a 15 gauge versus 16 gauge nail. Beafier bite. As far as brands, I have the PC - crown stapler (2 models) and upolstry stapler, Craftsman finish and 2" brad nailer, CH crown stapler and Stanley framing nailer. The Stanley seem to be built real well, the PCs have never given me a fit, the Craftsman are alright but I have had some occasional jamming, the CH was a great buy and works perfectly.

A friend has the Senco (15 gauge angle finish nailer) and I really like it. I used it on a job we were doing one day. If my finish nailer ever goes bad I will probably replace with the Senco.

Drive by a job site some day and you'll see many brands being used. I don't think you'll be unhappy with most brands. The Dewalt has some neat features also.