PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Sunday morning, fall colors, and this....

John Keeton
10-11-2009, 12:48 PM
How much better can it get?! Wake up to a beautiful Lord's Day, sunshine, the leaves are turning, and I look out the front windows and see this...

We take so much for granted, yet are so blessed. :o Comfortable home, food in the pantry, good health, wood for the shop, and a world full of wonderful sights.

Hope your day is half as great!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2009, 1:05 PM
Add to that "relatively good health" and it doesn't get any better John....

the old guy needs to clean his glasses John..I see good health in your comments now.....my mistake....

Isn't amazing how the Vortex can change your whole outlook on life?:eek::rolleyes:

Dennis McGarry
10-11-2009, 1:27 PM
I see...

Dinner, snacks, now boots and pen banks as well! Perfect!

Greg Peterson
10-11-2009, 3:01 PM
This morning I took my dog for a short car ride to West Moreland park. Big maples, oaks, sweet gums, a stream, ducks, geese, soccer players, huge casting pond and a nice cool autumn breeze.

Brandy thoroughly enjoyed the smörgåsbord of new and fresh scents and I enjoyed the crisp, clean breeze. At the conclusion of our quiet stroll I glanced upward and noticed a large bird flying in a large lazy circle, fairly low to the ground. My first guess was a hawk, a big one. Then it turned and I saw its white head. A bald eagle. Right about that time a second bald eagle appeared. I watched them as they swirled around the stream looking for a mid morning feast. They slowly moved along northward till they were no longer in my line of sight.

It is good to stop and appreciate the simple things.

Indeed the best things in life are free. Perhaps that is why we so often times take them for granted.

Paul Ryan
10-11-2009, 4:25 PM
If it was a month latter he would be feeding me. I have one that looks much like that hanging on my wall that came from 50 yards of my back door. And I have one on the other wall that came from about 200 yards from my back door. Every other year I get one like that, hopefully this will be the year. One of these seasons I am just going to sit on my deck and not even bother going into the woods to a stand.

Somedays when things aren't going well we do take things for granted. It is nice to sit back and just relax.

gary Zimmel
10-11-2009, 5:15 PM
Life is Good!

Even if it's -10 here with a little snow on the ground.

John Keeton
10-11-2009, 6:16 PM
I have one that looks much like that hanging on my wall that came from 50 yards of my back door. And I have one on the other wall that came from about 200 yards from my back door.Paul, this buck was the larger of 3 that were with a doe (don't think she was hot yet.) They were about 150 yards from the house. He is probably only 18 months old - maybe 30, and if he makes it through season, he will be a very nice buck next year.

I have one on the wall that scored 139 5/8 that I took with a bow a few years back. I imagine the buck in the pic would score about 120 because of the tine length. Not a lot of spread, but decent mass.

I don't usually hunt the deer on our place - leave them for the sons and grandsons. I have another farm I hunt.

But, it is really a treat to see them in bachelor groups this time of year. I was nearly late for church watching them - just made for a near perfect morning!!

Paul Ryan
10-11-2009, 6:59 PM
John,

You have a nice crop of deer there as well. The larger of the 2 deer on my wall has a rack that is almost identical to that picture of yours but he is spread 17 1/2". He weighed about 184lbs and was taken 2 years ago. The other deer was older he was a only a 7 pointer but spread 19" and weighed 216lbs. The neck on the older one was thicker and he had a belly. He was taken 4 years ago. Both were dropped with a shot gun. I never had the most recent one scored I wish I would have. But I supose I still could just take him off the wall. That one was a tough shot. We GPSs it at 127 yards. While he was slowly walking away from me. But I was above him about 35 ft. I had 2 trees with a 20" split 20 yards from me. If I took that shot 100 times I would make it once. But he droped right there. Hit him in the top of the right hip and the bullet traveled in to his chest. Deer season opens here in a little less than 5 weeks. I hope the farmers around get the corn out soon. I wish I could leave lease to watch and hunt others in a different place. But I would have to hunt public land then. And that is no fun.

John Keeton
10-11-2009, 7:54 PM
Paul, that is a couple of nice ones! I thought I had a pic of mine, but the only one I had is of the kitchen area of the great room. I cropped it a little, and hope you can see the deer, although the lighting isn't really good. The ceiling height is 25', so he kind of gets lost on the wall.
He weighed 206 lbs. field dressed, 19" outside spread, with a little over 11" G2s. His rack is a real high rack like the one I saw this morning.

BTW, just saw the same deer in the back yard about 30 minutes ago!! I have a trail camera and salt lick in the back, and hopefully got some good pics.

Paul Ryan
10-11-2009, 9:35 PM
Nice looking deer John. You have got a great wife. The 1st thing my wife said was you are not bringing that thing in the house. I dont want dead animals on our walls. I finally got her to accept the entry way off of the garage. When I brought the 1st one home. She was in town or something like that. So I took the picture down that is above the head of our bed and put the deer up there. She almost threw me out when she saw it there. When I shot the second one she didn't say anything. I really need to put up a camera there is a big one around here again. I have seen his tracks but not the deer since last season. Last season I saw him about 300 yards out in a field. I need to find a shot gun that can reach that far. Happy hunting.