PDA

View Full Version : Disston 3D saw vise help

Fred Bryant
10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Just starting out and I have decided that one of the skills I need to learn is sharpening handsaws. During the process of gathering material, I have acquired a Disston 3D saw vise. It was rusty and nasty, so I cleaned it up and will eventually paint it. There are two problems that I need to address: There is no pad on the end of the bench mounting screw, and I do not think that the jaws are closing properly.

I should be able to fabricate a pad on the end of the bench mounting screw, but would like a picture of an original to follow. Can anyone help me out and shoot me a picture of the pad and it's attachment to the bench mounting screw?

The jaws on the vise close with the extreme ends touching first. Additionally, the top edges of the vise jaws touch first. I believe this is the correct geometry. The potential problem is that with the vise jaws completely closed and locked up, there is a 20 thousands inch gap in the center of the jaws. That is I can drop a 0.020" feeler gauge between the jaws at the center. Considering that some of the saw plates I got to practice on are 0.018 inches, I believe this is unacceptable. I think this can be corrected by filing, but would like some input before I remove metal that I can not put back.

Thank's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net (jyblood@nwi.net) ).

Jim Koepke
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Just starting out and I have decided that one of the skills I need to learn is sharpening handsaws. During the process of gathering material, I have acquired a Disston 3D saw vise. It was rusty and nasty, so I cleaned it up and will eventually paint it. There are two problems that I need to address: There is no pad on the end of the bench mounting screw, and I do not think that the jaws are closing properly.

I should be able to fabricate a pad on the end of the bench mounting screw, but would like a picture of an original to follow. Can anyone help me out and shoot me a picture of the pad and it's attachment to the bench mounting screw?

The jaws on the vise close with the extreme ends touching first. Additionally, the top edges of the vise jaws touch first. I believe this is the correct geometry. The potential problem is that with the vise jaws completely closed and locked up, there is a 20 thousands inch gap in the center of the jaws. That is I can drop a 0.020" feeler gauge between the jaws at the center. Considering that some of the saw plates I got to practice on are 0.018 inches, I believe this is unacceptable. I think this can be corrected by filing, but would like some input before I remove metal that I can not put back.

Thank's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net (jyblood@nwi.net) ).

Have you tried mounting one of the 0.018 saws in the vise to see how it holds?

jim

Fred Bryant
10-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes, I should have mentioned this. The saw blade flexs in the center, which is why I started looking at how the jaws close. I would expect a little gap in the center, but without a frame of reference, I am not sure how much. Any ideas?

Thx's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

Richard Niemiec
10-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Glue some strips of leather on the vice faces, or some rubber. Contact cement works, or the 3M spray.