PDA

View Full Version : C'man belt sander questions??

Scott Vincent
10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Gonna go look at a Craftsman 1 x 42 sander with a 5 in disc. Probably $60. Any reason NOT to get this? Thinking I would like to use the belt for primary sharpening on turning tools and bevel setting irons and chisels. Other than the hollow vs flat argument... lets hear it.
Thanks

Mike Holbrook
10-11-2009, 4:18 PM
I just bought a Grainger/Dayton 1" x 42" that also uses 2" x 42" belts. It has a 6" disc sander and the belt arm can be set anywhere between vertical and horizontal. I like the adjustments on it too. If you wat to save money Harbor Freight sells a 1" x 30" model that is frequently available for $35. There are quite a few guys who use these for knives. You save a little on belts and belts are a little easier to find.

The guys that use them to grind and sharpen knives always want an adjustable platen and the best belt adjusting and changing system they can find. I mention the knife guys because they frequently have more experience grinding, sharpening and beveling steel than wood workers.

Good luck,

Mitch

Jeff Willard
10-11-2009, 5:28 PM
Get a hand cranked grinder, because this is, after all, the Galoot forum :D.

Scott Vincent
10-11-2009, 7:22 PM
Im looking for one of those too, kinda scarce.
Just saw this on CL and figure for a few bucks it is worth a try.

Bruce Haugen
10-11-2009, 7:57 PM
I have one I made 20 years ago and it's one of the handiest things in my shop. Besides what you mentioned, it does a great job on lawn mower blades, hoes, shovels, etc., because it has a table and that makes it very easy to maintain a consistent bevel angle. It's also very good for truing up jigs.