PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin carving

John W. Love
10-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Has anyone attempted to carve an intricate design in a real pumpkin with a laser? Was thinking if I did it I would set it in a dishpan or something to alleviate any mess that might occur. Also would the heat of the laser pretty much cauterize the cut and prolong the time that it would be good?

Steve Clarkson
10-11-2009, 7:39 AM
Or how about those fake pumpkins? I have no idea what they're made out of.

Duane Parcells
10-11-2009, 9:11 AM
Hi John
I tried to vector a outline that could be used to carve a design. I suggest you protect your laser, it makes a huge mess. The heat from the laser caramelizes the sugar in the pumpkin as it sputters and spits stuff everywhere. Even at 75 watts it doesn't go very deep and if you crank the power and slow the speed char becomes a problem. It does a ok job of putting a design on the pumpkin but I will not do it again because of the mess. May be a better thing to try is rastering to keep the flying pumpkin mist to a minimum. Did not try it so let us know what happens if you do. My fan is 800 cu. ft. a minute and even with 40psi air it didn't help. Also might consider a drier pumpkin, mine was fresh picked and well hydrated!
Duane

Beth Page
10-11-2009, 2:51 PM
I used my laser to do this pumpkin. I would recommend that you have one that has a flat spot on it.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r205/huntersmom_bucket/th_pumpkin.jpg