PDA

View Full Version : Another Shaper Cutter Question

Joe Jensen
10-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I am shopping for a new cabinet door cutter set. This time around I'm going for insert tooling. Most of the cutter setups I'm considering have the option of eased edges where the raised panel slides in the rail, or standard sharp edges. The eased edges are like a micro radius and the intent is to ensure the finish flows around that edge.

The first pic shows the eased edges. The profiles in the second pic are normal.

Has anyone here tried the eased edges?

http://www.freeborntool.com/images/eased_edge.jpg

http://www.freeborntool.com/images/cope%20and%20pattern%20profiles%202.jpg

David DeCristoforo
10-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Don't like the "eased" edges. To me, it's a "feature" that is advantageous in high production environments. But in a shop producing "quality" work, having your doors look like they have a gap between the panel and the frame is... well, it just says "mass produced" to me. Just one man's opinion....

Joe Jensen
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't like the "eased" edges. To me, it's a "feature" that is advantageous in high production environments. But in a shop producing "quality" work, having your doors look like they have a gap between the panel and the frame is... well, it just says "mass produced" to me. Just one man's opinion....

That's what I was thinking. I was going to go to Home Depot or some place like that to see some.

Peter Quinn
10-11-2009, 7:49 AM
Ditto what David said. The look of that radius is pretty low grade. I do like to ease the edge a touch with a block of sand paper to facilitate assembly and reduce the chances of chipping, but I'm talking a few thousands with one quick swipe. The look of the ease in those Freeborn pictures is pretty severe to my eye.

Jay Brewer
10-11-2009, 8:03 AM
I have the Freeborn insert R & S cutters w/ the eased edge. The radius is not nearly as noticable as in the picture, I have not had a finish problem since I switched. I would bet the average person could not tell a difference in the eased vs straight.

Wether you choose the eased or straight edge, they are great cutters. I have slowly switched all my door building cutters to Freeborn insert.

John M. Smith
10-11-2009, 8:43 AM
I have the Freeborn cutters with the eased edge and would use nothing else. Never a problem with any chip out. And I have never had a customer complain about it.

John