PDA

View Full Version : Pricing used equipment

Dave Brandt
09-21-2004, 11:01 PM
I'll be moving out of state next year and would like to clear out my basement shop rather than move it. How the heck do I figure out fair prices for everything? Do I use a percentage of new, replacement prices? Or a percent of the orignial price? Alot of the gear is 10 or 15 years old (but still in good condition, since I'm just a weekend warrior). Appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks, Dave

p.s. examples: Grizzly 1022 with home-built sliding table on moveable cabinet with drawers and cubbies; Grizzly 1182 6" (X 47") jointer; and Grizzly 1019 14" bandsaw with riser; etc. (I know, I know, you want pictures. I'll take some before I post to the classified section.)

JOHN HANCOCK
09-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Mark Rios asked the same question a while back and several creekers said 80% of replacement cost was a good starting point for near new equipment. I think that 50% of replacement cost is a good price even for old equipment if it is in good condition. No one can get new equipment for what you paid then. Some woodworkers like the older equipment. It was usually built like a tank.

Gary Max
09-22-2004, 6:48 AM
I would think that 75% is a good place to start but keep a open mind about discounts for folks who buy more than one item or wave cash around.