PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable blades on Stanley planes

Matt Stiegler
10-10-2009, 9:19 PM
Okay, so everyone knows that the blades are interchangeable on the LV BUS, LA jack, and BU jointer. And I just learned to tonight from David Keller's post here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122110) that blades and frogs are interchangeable on the LN 4 1/2, 5 1/2, and 7 (great information, thanks David!).

So now I'm wondering about vintage Stanley planes. I would think it's a lot more complicated to ascertain, given different lines and different types. My hypothesis is that the blades and frogs are interchangeable for the Stanley 4 1/2, 5 1/2, and 7, for both baileys and bedrocks, from "late" type 9 on (the existence of early and late Type 9 another fact I learned tonight, thanks to Jim Koepke in this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110078) thread). Am guessing just blades are interchangeable more broadly (is blade width the only compatibility factor?), but can't guess how much more broadly.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to wonder about this, but if the answer has been posted here before it eluded my clumsy searching. Any insight?

Jim Koepke
10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Much of my understanding of hand planes comes from reading the writings of those who have ventured before me. My curiosity has lead me to a few new findings. Most likely others have also discovered these things before, but did not put them in writing.

Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore is a great source of information.

Johnny Kleso's Rexmill.com is also a great resource.

One thing to be aware of is for a long time, the 5-1/2 used a 2-1/4 inch blade. The width was changed in 1939. A lot of Stanley blades will measure in at 2-5/16 inches. Not sure why this happened. It may have been used on transitional planes.

Blade width is the main criteria for using one blade on multiple planes.

#1 & #2 are of unique sizes and are not interchangeable with other planes.

#3 & #5-1/4 are 1-3/4 inches. This is the same size as the #113 blade, but the cap iron is different and not interchangeable. A lot of transitional planes also use a 1-3/4 inch blade.

The #4, #5, #9 and #164 all use a 2 inch blade. The #9 and the #164 use a different cap iron.

The #5-1/2 used a 2-1/4 inch blade until changing to a 2-3/8 inch blade in 1939.

The #4-1/2, #6 and #7 use a 2-3/8 inch blade. A lot of transitional planes also used this size.

The #8 uses a 2-5/8 inch blade. A few transitional planes also used this size.

It is common to find Stanley blades on planes from different makers. One reason for this is Stanley was the largest marketer of planes and replacement irons. Stanley also absorb some of the other makers as in 1920 when they bought Union Plane. When the next batch of Union planes came to market, they had Stanley SW blades.

Bedrocks and Baileys are two different animals. Blades and cap irons are interchangeable, but frogs are not. Early Bedrock planes used screws to mount their frogs. Later Bedrocks used pins. This makes them incompatible with each other.

I am not sure, but I think it is possible to mount a Bailey style frog on an early Bedrock body. It would not work, but the screws might hold it in place.

jim

Matt Stiegler
10-11-2009, 8:23 PM
Super informative response, Jim, thanks.

I guess it sounds like the closest a stanley user could come to replicating the LV BU interchangeability of blades would be if they went with a 4 1/2, 5 1/2 (post 1939), and 7. If one HAF could be shared among all 3, that's a set-up that could cover a fair bit of ground.

Are there folks who do this? Does everyone do this? Or can the planes & blades be had so cheaply that the savings of shared blades is far outweighed by the inconvenience?

Jim Koepke
10-11-2009, 9:12 PM
Super informative response, Jim, thanks.

You are welcome.

I guess it sounds like the closest a stanley user could come to replicating the LV BU interchangeability of blades would be if they went with a 4 1/2, 5 1/2 (post 1939), and 7. If one HAF could be shared among all 3, that's a set-up that could cover a fair bit of ground.

With a bevel up plane, changing blades makes more sense. For bevel down planes, my main reason to change blades is if one is dull and taking time to sharpen is inconvenient. Another reason might be if one has one premium after market blade to share among a few planes. Then, there are some who put a back bevel on their irons to make the blade work like it is seated at a higher angle.

Are there folks who do this? Does everyone do this? Or can the planes & blades be had so cheaply that the savings of shared blades is far outweighed by the inconvenience?

Old Stanley blades are not real expensive. High quality replacement high carbon steel blades can be had in the $40 dollar range from Hocktools.com. Other suppliers also sell blades at prices I do not know.

Most of my planes cost less than a modern replacement blade. I have and use a lot of old Stanley blades. The replacements are better, but not by a whole lot. The harder steels like A1 and A2 may hold and edge longer. Some feel they do not get as sharp as high carbon steel. Having only one A1 (I think it is A1) blade on a lightly used plane is not enough for me to form an opinion.

Bob Smalser posted a thread on how he made a 50° angle frog for a Stanley/Bailey plane:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8136

If you are going to switch a frog around various planes, it may be best to stick with type 10 or later. A type 10 or later frog should be useable on any type 10 or later plane using the same size blade.

Need any more grease on the slope?

jim

John Keeton
10-11-2009, 9:20 PM
Need any more grease on the slope?

jimThus sayeth the Pied Piper of old planes;) Silver tongued devil you are, Jim Koepke!! Pulling another down the slope!:D

Matt is probably already looking for flea markets and junk stores. I know of what I speak - Jim did it to me, as well.

Matt Stiegler
10-11-2009, 9:30 PM
Thus sayeth the Pied Piper of old planes;) Silver tongued devil you are, Jim Koepke!! Pulling another down the slope!:D

Matt is probably already looking for flea markets and junk stores. I know of what I speak - Jim did it to me, as well.

Hah. Yesterday was two flea markets and three antique stores. But only one purchase (old crosscut saw, $3) to show for it.

jerry nazard
10-11-2009, 9:33 PM
Thus sayeth the Pied Piper of old planes;) Silver tongued devil you are, Jim Koepke!! Pulling another down the slope!:D

Beware! John speaketh with forked tongue. He, too, is a Pied Piper of old planes; and... in a recent turn of events... is himself slipping down the slippery slope of lathes and turnings. Due caution is advised..... <gr>