PDA

View Full Version : Vase in a Cube Demo Today

Thomas Canfield
10-10-2009, 7:43 PM
Jimmy Arledge from Dallas did an excellent demo today at the East Texas Woodturners meeting in Tyler, TX. He had adapted the vase from the ball in a cube article in a Woodturning magazine, and it was impressive. There is a lot of preparation work to have the chuck for the cube, patterns for the window and ball and the plugs needed to hold the ball, and then also make the scraper tool to fit the ball curve to cut the ball loose. Jimmy had a finished piece he passed around, and passed other pieces around that were done in stages. He also explained how to sand the hollow ball (base of the vase). I don't know that he convinced anyone to do the work required to make one, but it definitely was educational.

The demos and meeting with other turners at the local clubs are definitely a big boost in building skill and confidence for us newer turners. I am on light duty for a couple of weeks and not turning, but have some of the methods in storage for future. The special wooden jaws to hold the cube would also be nice. Sorry that I don't have any pictures to share.