PDA

View Full Version : first wood plane, wedge stuck

Hong Le
10-10-2009, 6:12 PM
So I finally first my first wooden plane which is a 3/8 dado molding plane. Unfortunately the wedge that holding the blade seems to be stuck in there very well. I've tried tapping it lightly with a small hammer but it won't budge, the thing seems a little delicate so i don't want to put too much force on it.
Any Suggestions on how to take it out?

David Gendron
10-10-2009, 6:15 PM
I would try tapping the back of the plane with a wooden mallet, that's usualy what we do to free wedge and blade... If you have a picture, it would maybe help!?!?

Hong Le
10-10-2009, 6:47 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/wowhunter/moldingplane.jpg

Dan Barr
10-10-2009, 6:56 PM
hold the iron and wedge with your left hand while the body of the plane rests in your left palm.

give a good rap or two with the mallet in your right hand to the rear of the plane.

if this does not work, you can tap on the round of the wedge awway from the body.

cheers,

dan

Phillip Pattee
10-10-2009, 8:33 PM
I believe your blade is tapered from the cutting edge to the end. You should be able to tap the blade with a wooden mallet to advance it as you would to set it for a deeper cut. You can tap the blade far enough to remove it since it will become looser and looser. The wedge should also fall out then.

Hong Le
10-11-2009, 12:28 AM
omg, thanks phillip that was so simple :eek:

Phillip Pattee
10-11-2009, 9:29 AM
I've found so many things in life become simple after someone else explains it to me.:D But it sure wasn't simple before that. It looks like a nice plane. Enjoy using it.