PDA

View Full Version : Sandle Wood square bowl

mike fuson
10-10-2009, 5:28 PM
This was a small end grain block of wood. Very dence and hard to cut. Measures 6 x 1 1/2 with a buffed seal coat finish.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/bowls/sandlewoodface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/bowls/sandlewoodtop.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2009, 5:29 PM
Really like how oriented the grain! Gives the piece 'flow'! Pretty wood - color and finish!

Ted Calver
10-10-2009, 6:25 PM
Mike. This is a very nice!

John Keeton
10-10-2009, 6:31 PM
Some of the stuff you guys do seems to defy the laws of woodworking!! Just seems to me that if one took a square block and turned that much wood from it, those four corners would NEVER all sit level!! Amazing!

I agree on the grain - very nice.

(Can't believe I am hanging out here on the Turner's forum lookin' at round stuff!)

Mark Hix
10-10-2009, 6:37 PM
Mike, I have come to expect beautiful bowls when I pull up your posts. This one makes me want to touch it.

John, there are no laws to break in turning.

Eugene Wigley
10-10-2009, 8:12 PM
Mike, as a new turner I am always amazed at what you can do with a piece of wood. I always look forward to your posts. Like the others said, this just seems to flow. Thanks for posting it.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-10-2009, 8:46 PM
Very cool Mike. It looks like a lava flow, very fluid.

Richard Madison
10-10-2009, 8:48 PM
Beautiful piece Mike!

Toney Robertson
10-10-2009, 9:43 PM
Mike,

I really like this one.

Reminds me of a wave.

Very nice.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Beautiful bowl Mike. The grain just looks like it is flowing.

Brian Effinger
10-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Beautiful, Mike. I really like the way the corners / legs flow right into the bowl with no rim to get in the way.

Jarrod McGehee
10-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Dude! that's cool! Where did you buy the sandalwood? I've been trying to find some and my aunts live in Kuwait and they can't find any either over there where I'd figure you could find some because it's popular over there.

Aaron Wingert
10-11-2009, 1:22 AM
That is just incredible. It goes beyond woodworking and functionality and is truly art.

Harlan Coverdale
10-11-2009, 1:35 AM
That's an awesome bowl, Mike. Great flow to the curves, and they contrast nicely with the squareness.

Some of the stuff you guys do seems to defy the laws of woodworking!! Just seems to me that if one took a square block and turned that much wood from it, those four corners would NEVER all sit level!! Amazing!

Actually, by turning it, you ensure the four leg are the same length. Almost guaranteed to be level.

Come to the Dark Side, John. We have cookies. :D

alex carey
10-11-2009, 6:30 AM
love this finish on this one, great job.

John Keeton
10-11-2009, 7:10 AM
Actually, by turning it, you ensure the four leg are the same length. Almost guaranteed to be level.Harlan, I probably should have been more clear. I was actually referring to the wood movement. Seems like most of you guys use green wood, and I would just expect something like that to move once there was that much wood removal on the undercut of the legs, or the hollowing of the bowl. Actually, even if it was dry, I would think it would move and "lift" one or more of the legs.

I guess that is the part that amazes me on much of the work done in this forum. You all really know the wood, and have ways of dealing with the anticipated movement. I do that in flat work, but I only have to think about one plane.

Even if I don't really get into the bowls and hollow forms, I certainly can and do appreciate the phenomenal amount of art and talent that goes in to these pieces.

Mike Golka
10-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Very nicely done Mike, that's a beauty.

mike fuson
10-11-2009, 4:12 PM
Dude! that's cool! Where did you buy the sandalwood? I've been trying to find some and my aunts live in Kuwait and they can't find any either over there where I'd figure you could find some because it's popular over there.

I got this piece in Knoxville Tn. You might try a woodcraft store?

gary Zimmel
10-11-2009, 4:46 PM
From another newbie to this side of the creek, that is one sweet looking bowl!

I too am amazed what you turners can do with a chunk of wood.
Slowly you guys are capturing more and more of us from the other side of the Creek...

John Keeton
10-11-2009, 6:18 PM
Slowly you guys are capturing more and more of us from the other side of the Creek...Hey Gary, it's because the water is shallow and it is so easy to cross - nice folks on the other side, too!!:D

Steve Frederick
10-11-2009, 6:20 PM
Nice shape! I like the way that the bowl opening flows to the feet!
Good work!

Larry Marley
10-11-2009, 7:56 PM
Mike, that is beautiful.
I really like it!
The grain really lends it's self to this form.

Chris Stolicky
10-11-2009, 9:00 PM
Good job.

I really need to try one of those.....