PDA

View Full Version : Summer Project.

gary Zimmel
10-10-2009, 5:17 PM
Good Day to the Creek!

Summer is all but over here.
Even have a skiff of snow to make sure all our summer projects come to a grinding halt.

This is one of those simple projects that got a little out of control!
Game plan was to add a few feet to an existing deck and screen it in.
Heres the start after I tore out all the landscaping and started hammering a bunch of wood together.

After extending the deck and waiting for the sun room to arrive my wife asked about maybe putting in a hot tub.
No problem I said.
Just add another deck and order a tub... Top deck is 15x14
With the two decks now started I thought it best to put a third deck to joint the two now underway. this one is 16x16
While we are doing this one may as well wire it for low voltage recessed lighting.
And wanting not to do a lot of maintenance I decided to use plastic wood for the top.
Didn't know plastic wood is more pricey than QSWO!

For only a few months I got a lot done.

Next summer will be needed to do the above grade pond and and a 16 foot set of stairs.

But for now one gets to plan what projects to do in the shop this winter!
Thanks for taking a look.

John Keeton
10-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Gary, that hottub will be right nice when the temp up there drops to minus 10;) But, it will be that short run in to the house that will be the problem :eek:

Nice work, and it is always good to know that Geri keeps you busy and out of trouble. Great layout, and wonderful addition to the "estate."

John Thompson
10-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice work and great addition to the house, Gary. What type roofing is that as I don't recall seeing anything similar in my personal travels?

gary Zimmel
10-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks John and Sarge.

Sarge the roof is metal.
Extruded on site so they are one piece.
Each piece is about 18 inches wide.
The pieces are crimped together and the only screws are on the top and bottom of each panel.
Fits in well on an acerage setting.

Jacob Mac
10-11-2009, 1:18 PM
Nice work! I really like the hot tub.

Last year, I helped my dad buld a deck and we used the same stuff you did. The plastic wood is pricey, but IMO, worth it.

gary Zimmel
10-11-2009, 1:50 PM
Thanks Jacob.

Upside of this plastic wood is once it's installed, (and paid for) the bleeding stops.
No staining and no maintenance for a long long time....

Walt Caza
10-13-2009, 6:03 AM
Hi Gary,
Well, leave it to you to grow a big project out of what begins as a little one!
Now I see why you have not been posting any projects.
You are living in the project. Sweet sunroom.
That should help extend your short summers.

Hope the tub is hot, 'cause that snow looks cold!
Glad to hear you are taking your woodworking back indoors.
Thanks for the peek,
Walt

Ben Martin
10-13-2009, 8:48 AM
Great looking deck! I especially like the decorative touches around the perimeter.

I love that roof too!