PDA

View Full Version : ? Breathing mask?

Keith Spaniel
10-10-2009, 5:05 PM
Hi, I keep thinking I can turn wood and not get dust in my nose..
Then I suffer for a few days ,and do it again. It's no wonder my kids don't listen to me, I don't even listen to my self..:) But now I must start wearing a dust mask or give up the lathe....

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good mask that you may have had some experience with?
Thanks,
Keith

Brian Kent
10-10-2009, 5:12 PM
I really like my 3M 7503. I got it on Amazon with the P100 dust filters for normal use and the 6001 organic vapor cartridges for finishing.

All from Amazon for $30 plus tax & shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z53WKU/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Brian

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2009, 5:28 PM
Keith - depends a lot on how much protection you want/need and how much you want to spend. I have been using the Trend Airshield for a couple of years now and have been happy with it - but have been thinking of upgrading as the filters work good for larger particles but not the super small stuff. Just something to be aware of when you start looking around.

Wally Dickerman
10-10-2009, 6:04 PM
The first thing to consider when dealing with dust is to have a good dust collecting system. Just as important is the overhead dust filter. (hangs from the ceiling). The overhead filter collects a surprising amount of fine dust. The kind that's seemingly lighter than air because it collects on the very top shelf. That's the kind that you breath because it's in the air.

A good dust collector will have a hood of some sort that gets the bulk of the dust as you turn and especially as you sand. Mine is on a stand so that I can move it from the bed of the lathe to the outboard bed, depending on where I'm working.

The human body is remarkable in it's ability to overcome things such as dust. I had been working with wood and sanding it for a lot of years before I got my first dust system. After over 70 years of turning, my lungs are still clear. Had an xray last year and the doc said that they looked perfect.

I almost never wear a face shield and often sand small things with out wearing a mask. I mentioned that once and a guy said "well, wait 20 years and see". Well in 20 years I'll be 108 and then I probably won't care.

WAlly

Keith Spaniel
10-10-2009, 6:53 PM
There is a great price gap. Brian ,Do you turn a lot of dry wood? I have a mask like that and it seems like the filter never clogs or I'm breathing through the sides Its not to easy to put on a face shield or safety glasses .

Steve, Did you have to buy any new batteries for your tren since you had it? Is it comfortable? Does that plastic or glass shield scratch easy?

Wally, Yea the human body is fearfully and wonderfully made. I have a friend who is 78 and has smoked since he was in the war. Still smoking too. His other 3 younger brothers have died already..

I do have a cyclone going ,5 ft. away and a fan on the ceiling.It just get 's noisy after awhile. In stead of the cyclone ,I thought about getting 2 square 20'' cheap box fans and putting them right in front of the lathe with a fiberglass filter in front of it. It doesn't help that I'm turning spalted ,worm filled elm. If I could get a nice mask, and the fans ,it will make it better.
thanks guys . Keith

Alan Tolchinsky
10-10-2009, 6:59 PM
Remember everybody has different genetic dispositions. Some can get away with smoking etc. and others won't be so lucky. Are you going to be one of the lucky ones? Who knows right? One thing for sure is those who smoke have more lung cancer than those who don't. You've gotten some good advise on protecting your lungs. They'll like you better if you do. Happy turning.

Barry ward
10-10-2009, 7:04 PM
The best two investments I made were for the trend and my Dust collector.My sinuses thank me everytime I use them.

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2009, 7:35 PM
Keith - when I bought the Trend I also bought 2 batteries. Since then I have built my own battery packs that take regular AA rechargeable batteries - but still use the batteries that came with the system. The plastic faceshield is covered with a piece of clear plastic which can be cleaned or replaced as needed. I have been using this Trend for 2 1/2 years and with the 10 piece package of clear visors that I got with it - I am on visor 3. Plus I learned that you can use clear 'overhead' projector plastic sheets that you can pick up at any office supply store as a visor cover - just use double sticky tape to secure it in place.

Eugene Wigley
10-10-2009, 8:26 PM
Keith, I use the Trend Airshield Pro that was recommended by some of the people here at the creek. It has worked well for me. That is one of the best investments I have made since I started turning.

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Keith I use a Trend and built battery packs with AA rechargables like Steve did. I can turn 8 hrs or more on a charge. I also have a dust filter hanging from the ceiling and like Wally said you wouldn't believe how much dust it does collect. I also turn on the DC at the lathe when sanding. After turning for a year and got a respiratory infection. He said in his opinion wood dust can be worse than smoking. I got serious especially when my Doc told me it could turn to emphysema. He said you only have one set of lungs. Maybe over kill but have not had any problems since.

Aaron Wingert
10-11-2009, 1:25 AM
I got a dust bee gone mask at woodcraft...About $35. They're washable and have a very very very fine mesh that catches everything. Between that and the fan that sits beside me and blows on the lathe to reduce the dust that gets to my face in the first place I don't have any problems at all.

Dan Kralemann
10-11-2009, 3:50 AM
I found a lot of information about all aspects of dust at: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ I do not have any affiliation with this company or own one of their machines, but I did find the information useful.
Wood can also have fungus, mold, and toxins in it. Spalted wood was mentioned already.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/cancer/npotocca.html#uz

Brian Ashton
10-11-2009, 3:51 AM
I've been using the North respirators for about 27 years. They pass all the relevant standards across pretty much all industries. Have filters for pretty much any dust or chemical environment you can imagine and more importantly they are very common. You can find cheaper at places such as home depot but if the filters aren't readily available when you need them the mask is useless. And it's not that uncommon for such outlets to change brands and leave out out in the cold. I've never had a problem finding the filters when I needed them for the North.

And for me these are the only lungs I have so I'd like to use the best quality filter system available.

You will find that there is an adjustment phase for the skin on your face when you wear one for long enough. When I first started wearing one my face broke out in small rashes but went away about 2 weeks later. I was wearing the mask 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Since then I've never had a skin problem as the skin has adapted to the conditions, even if I don't wear it for a year. You'll also find them somewhat uncomfortable in the beginning but will get used to that also. I've tried others but found them to have pressure spots because they use harder materials. For me I wouldn't wear any other brand.

I've looked at the powered filter helmets but I'm not a fan of buy expensive batteries when the originals wear out long before they're suppose (no matter what the manufacturer says). And if they decide to change the style of battery (which happens all the time) you're SOL.

I still have the original mask I bought when I was 18. I've had to replace the elastic straps but that's it.

Terry Fabian
10-23-2009, 6:14 PM
I use a Jet dust collector with a 1 um bag. For the most part, this captures a majority of the shavings and saw dust I create while turning.
In addition, I also purchased a 3M full-face shield with respirators attached. My source for the full-face shield/respirator is the following website: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...espirator.html (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/3m-6000-series-full-facepiece-respirator.html)
Their prices beat any of the paint supply stores in my area. I went with kit Item# 3MM6893-M (full-face asbestos abatement respirator). In addition, I also purchased a pack of their disposable lens covers to protect the face shield lens and some of the other filters they offer (for other applications -- e.g. painting). Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the kit -- for $99, it's probably one of my better investments with respect to respiratory safety in the shop.

Martin Harris
10-24-2009, 1:05 AM
I also use a 3M 7503. Very pleased with it especially as it fits under a face shield.

Larry Marley
10-24-2009, 6:33 PM
HI Keith,
I have used the trend air shield for about 5 years now. I replaced the batteries at one of the batteries plus stores. you can wear glasses under the shield without a problem.

I was thinking about buying one when at a trade show, I was sanding on the lathe and a man in a wheel chair with an oxygen tube in his nose whispered to me as loud as he could. "Wear a Mask!"

I am glad you are thinking about this. Please get something.

Larry