PDA

View Full Version : Compressor concern

Dwain Lambrigger
10-10-2009, 1:14 PM
So I was working with my air compressor today. It has a small leak that needed fixing near the coupling. After fixing the leak, I drained the tank. I noticed a nice quarter cup of brown water come out. I have never had this much condensation. It has been a while (about two months) since I last drained the tank, and I don't use the compressor but maybe twice a week for about 30 minutes per use. Should I be concerned? I drained the tank and let it sit for a while. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Dwain

Josiah Bartlett
10-10-2009, 1:20 PM
You should be burping the water out every time you use it. You don't have to drain it down, but at least let the water escape. I get about a teaspoon of water out of mine every time I open the valve.

Rick Dennington
10-10-2009, 1:55 PM
Dwain, it's no big concern about getting some water in the tank. They all do that. Depends on much you use the compressor as to how often you need to drain it. If you're using it to spray poly or a finish or paint, then yes-- you need to check it often for water, otherwise you'll have water mixed in with what you're spraying. I don't drain mine like I should, cause it's a pain with my bad back. You'll notice a fine mist. It's time to drain the tank. hope this helps.

David Freed
10-10-2009, 3:54 PM
If you install one of these, you can drain the water quick and easy. Just pull the cord for a few seconds and you're good to go.

Vince Shriver
10-10-2009, 5:55 PM
If you install one of these, you can drain the water quick and easy. Just pull the cord for a few seconds and you're good to go.

What these?

Curt Harms
10-10-2009, 7:58 PM
I have 2 compressors, a Sears portable and C-H 15 gal. 2 h.p. Both of them had problems with the tank drains not sealing well and the air leaking out of the tank over time. My solution was the same for both. Remove the original drain, insert a 1/4" (I think) street ell and a nipple of adequate length to clear the bottom of the tank and make the ball valve accessible without inviting damage to the ball valve. By doing this water will sit in the nipple instead of in the tank bottom at least until the nipple and street ell get full. A quarter turn ball valve makes draining the tank easy. Now there's no excuse;).

Dwain Lambrigger
10-10-2009, 8:32 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I have one more situation. Today I was going to staple some drawer boxes, however my compressor's tank gauge only goes to 50 psi. I ran it for about 20 minutes, and it got to 50 psi in about 7 and just stayed there. I set the regulator all the way down to zero. Any ideas?

thanks again!

Art Kelly
10-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I use the automatic drain from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46960

It takes an hour or so to hook up--you have to run the tubing up to the unloader valve. It spits out water everytime the compressor cycles. After a year or so it got stuck--I took it apart, smoothed up the edges of the moving piston. It's worked perfectly since.

$0.02
Art

Dwain Lambrigger
10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is there any reason why the tank pressure won't go above 50 PSI? I ran for 20 minutes yesterday with the regulator at it's lowest setting. I am not sure what to check. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Dwain

Joe Jensen
10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
If it's a reed valve compressor, either a seat is bad or a valve is bad. Replacement valve kits are very cheap and in my experience it's an easy fix.

David Freed
10-11-2009, 5:51 PM
What these?

DOH!! I forgot the link.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/51680/erm/product_detail.jsp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product

The automatic drain that Art suggested looks good also.

Art Kelly
10-11-2009, 6:16 PM
DOH!! I forgot the link.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/51680/erm/product_detail.jsp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product

The way you described it, it sounds like it's spring loaded. ???

Easier and probably less problematic than the HF device.

Dwain Lambrigger
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
What is a reed valve compressor? Never heard of that before.

David Freed
10-12-2009, 6:38 PM
The way you described it, it sounds like it's spring loaded. ???

Yes. It doesn't matter which way it is pulled, the spring brings it back to center.

David Freed
10-12-2009, 6:49 PM
What is a reed valve compressor? Never heard of that before.

I can give a simple explanation. Someone else might be able to a more detailed explanation.

A reed valve is a thin piece of spring steel secured on one end with the other end covering the air intake hole. When the compressor piston is on the intake stroke, the reed lifts up allowing air to come into the cylinder. On the compression stroke the reed covers the hole forcing the air to go into the tank.

Loren Bengtson
10-25-2009, 11:53 PM
So I was working with my air compressor today. It has a small leak that needed fixing near the coupling. After fixing the leak, I drained the tank. I noticed a nice quarter cup of brown water come out. I have never had this much condensation. It has been a while (about two months) since I last drained the tank, and I don't use the compressor but maybe twice a week for about 30 minutes per use. Should I be concerned? I drained the tank and let it sit for a while. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Dwain

Dwain,

The most likely reason you got a lot more water out of your tank this last time is the leak. If you don't turn your compressor off when you are not using it, then the leak caused the compressor to run a lot more, thereby taking in a lot more humid air. Much of the moisture in the air condensed out in your tank and then the drier air leaked out through the hole. The compressor would then bring in more humid air to replace the dry air that leaked out. It did this continuously while you were away.

If you do turn your compressor off when you aren't using it, then I can't explain the larger quantity of water.

-- Loren

Mike Lipke
10-26-2009, 9:24 AM
"Oil less" compressors are usually reed valve. Some others as well.