PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Some Creative Project Ideas

Greg Johnson
10-10-2009, 12:30 PM
This past spring we had to take down a huge western red cedar that was next to our home ( close to 100ft tall and 52" diameter). It was not healthy and it was a danger to our home. Unfortunately there was no commercial value to this tree because it was so knotty. I had to pay to have them haul it off and disposed of it:(. When we told our grown kids about this, they were very upset. This tree represented many great memories from their childhood. I still have a big pile of the limbs from this tree. Now... you have to visualize limbs that are up to 24" in diameter. I have picked a few of the clear straight limbs with nice tight grain to save. I also just got a new Grizzly G0513x2 band saw that will resaw up to 12". So, I resawed a few small peices and have them stickered and air drying.

I was thinking about making some small keepsake type boxes for them for Christmas from this lumber. Does anybody have any other great ideas that I could do with this wood, and/or some good ideas for a keepsake box? I would like to do something special for my kids so they will have something from this tree. I know I am rushing this as far as getting the wood dry. If anybody has any pointers on speeding that process up, I would appreciate that too. There is an opportunity somewhere in that pile of logs...

Thanks for any thoughts,
Greg

Brad Wood
10-10-2009, 5:16 PM
blanket chests seem to be popular, but it sounds like your wood isn't ready.

I've read more than a few times about drying wood in the microwave, but that will limit you to small pieces.

I like small boxes and clocks (which are really just boxes with clockworks in there somewhere).

Walt Nicholson
10-10-2009, 7:31 PM
If you have any good family photos of the kids around the tree, you could have them copied and enlarged and then make frames for them with the wood. That way you would not have to dry too much material and they would have a nice way to remember the tree.

Greg Johnson
10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Walt,
Thanks for the picture frame idea. We have a neighbor that does black ink sketchs that are incredible. I think I will get a picture to him and get a nice artistic sketch of the tree next to the house and make frames for it.

Sometimes I try to make things more complicated than they need to be. Do a simple project now and set aside some wood to dry for a more complex project next year. I'll give the microwave (kiln dry) technique a shot. Thanks Brad!.

Putting away some wood will be a nice way to learn to resaw... with free wood...:)

Greg

Randy Walker
10-11-2009, 11:51 PM
That stuff cuts like butter so band sawn boxes would be a great choice. It turns well too, might try some turned objects. Carving should be easy work.

Have fun with it

Randy Walker

Lance Norris
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Greg... how about some of these...?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81661

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81703

Greg Johnson
10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Lance,
Wow.... Great stuff. Thanks for some great ideas. Those are beautiful. Now I just have to find some shop time..... because I know I'll have to make a few practice ones to get the hang of it.... Great excuse for a little.... er... a LOT more time on the new band saw!:D

Greg