PDA

View Full Version : DELTA 6" Variable-Speed Bench Jointer

Brandon Weiss
10-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Model: JT160

Does anyone know anything about this jointer? I'm a beginner so I'm looking to add a jointer to my tool collection. I do, however, have a budget restriction at this stage of my woodworking. Is this jointer worth it, or should I save my money for the real thing?

Larry Marley
10-10-2009, 11:57 AM
look for a Rigid 6" jointer on Crag's list.
I picked one up for $100. $200 to $250 is common,
I gave my delta 6" bench top jointer to Goodwill because I could not handle the guilt of selling it to anyone.

Too short, TOO loud.

My jointer tables warped so i started to make curved from strait.

Paul Ryan
10-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Is it a new one, or used. I wouldn't pay over $100 either way. It wont last you long if you continue woodworking. You will quickly out grow it. I almost bought one of those when I bought my first jointer but decided to wait save and then bought a 6" floor. I would watch your local craigslist. I haven't been luck with craigslist for tools that I am looking for but I have seen lots of 6" jointers sell. Many people will tell you to wait and buy and 8" but that is going to cost you alot more money. Resonably priced 8"ers rarely go for sale on craigslist. It is usually beat powermatics that the owners still want 8,9 or even $1000 for. You can get a nice 6" for under $200, it may not have a closed stand but that isn't that big of a deal. A good 6" jointer will last you a long time.

glenn bradley
10-10-2009, 12:27 PM
First let me state that we are all different and do different things in the shop. That being said; less than a month after I got this little guy I realized why everyone said "get an 8". Your projects may not require that size. Let me say that I used the jointer for quite awhile but eventually just built a planer sled (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58735) which was MUCH more satisfactory "for me" till I got a larger jointer. I did enjoy the variable speed for small parts and an alignment (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49170) helped a lot.

mickey cassiba
10-10-2009, 8:32 PM
Very high return rate, very high scrap rate once we got a hold of them...something like 40% return(by serial number talley) and 70% scrap of the ones we got.
Pass!
Mickey