PDA

View Full Version : Another "lathe" Question

Terry Murphy
10-10-2009, 11:33 AM
It is time to up grade my 1/4hp Grizzly lathe.
Will going to 1/2hp be a big difference.
Looking at the Rikon at Woodcraft.

Terry

Dick Strauss
10-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Terry,
Try to make a jump to 3/4-1 hp lathe if you can afford to do so. You'll probably see a big difference in the quality and power of the lathe. You'll also be less tempted to upgrade in another year. I'm not saying you won't want to upgrade...but I think you'll be less tempted!

Steve Mawson
10-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Agree with Dick, would upgrade a little higher if you can swing it. Less chance of wanting to upgrade again too soon.

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I would take a hard look at the Delta 46-460. It has the same swing as the Rikon but has a 1 hp motor and can be hand with variable speed. I have turned a couple of times on one. It has plenty of power and size. If it had been out when I bought my Jet 1220 I probably would have bought it instead. IMHO I don't think going from 1/4 hp to 1/2 hp you will notice that much difference.

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Terry - I don't think you would notice a huge difference between 1/4 hp and 1/2 hp as they are both fairly low power. As far as suggestions on other lathes - it really depends on what it is you want to turn. If just spindle work - you would be able to get by with the 1/2 hp lathe. If you wanted to branch out and turn different items - including bowls and small hollow forms - then I would look at the 2 lathes Bernie mentioned.

Best of luck with your upgrade! Looking forward to seeing photos real soon!

alex carey
10-10-2009, 3:58 PM
I agree with the other guys, I turned on a 1/2 hp delta for a little while, then I got my 3/4 hp general and although I noticed a difference it wasn't that huge, but if I had gone 1/4 to 3/4 I definitely would have noticed a BIG difference.

Keith Spaniel
10-10-2009, 4:40 PM
Terry, I also started on a small grizzly.It was great for spindles but would stop turning when I did boxes. Its a great starter lathe to let you know if you will really like doing this hobby. I chose the Rikon over the other lathe's .The belt changing is so fast and easy to do on the Rikon ,and the 12'' swing was the biggest at that time. I think it is a great lathe.I paid $250.00 for mine,2-3 yrs.ago. I cant recall the motor stalling on me, If you leave the belt loose it will slip,but some times that is a good safety factor. If I had the room and the time to go bigger ,Id go with the jet ( http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005433/19082/Jet-16-x-42-Wood-Lathe-Pro--Model-JWL-1642EVS--1-12-HP.aspx )
Its a bigger investment, if your not that sure you will be turning forever ,go with the Rikon.Oh yea, don't forget all the other things you will need for your new lathe adds up quick $$$$$$$$ Keith

Bill Blasic
10-11-2009, 7:02 AM
Terry,
The Delta 46-460 (on sale at Rockler's for $509 this month) with it's 12 1/2 swing over the bed, variable speed 1 HP, Reversing feature is a great lathe in the midi field. Even though it is $230 more than the Rikon it is worth every penny and you would not be disappointed.