PDA

View Full Version : Finish on a table saw table.

Stephen Saar
10-10-2009, 2:04 AM
So first a mini gloat. I recently got a new Craftsman 152.221040 TS along with a Delta SH100 shaper, along with some bits, a nice Shop Fox Rail and Fence, and some other items as well for $500 :-).

Now for my question. The saw came with a wood table that basically went around 3 sides of the saw to give you a bigger work area for cutting sheet goods and other big items. The table is basically a wood frame with different sections of plywood on top. It's not bad, but I'm not super happy with it since after having disassembled it and reassembled it, it's not even across the top any more. I can shim and fix things, but it's still made of 6 different pieces so without just a ton of effort I can't really get everything nice and smooth and level. So I was going to build a new table to to replace the existing one and I recently saw the video on Wood Whisperer's site for a Torsion table (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-18-assembly-table-torsion-box/). I figured I'd made a box like this for the table top. I'm planning on using MDF for the top, but I was curious what I should use to finish it. I'm mostly looking for a finish that will allow wood to pretty easily glide over the top. Would something like a wax work or are their better products?

Thanks.

-Stephen

Tony Bilello
10-10-2009, 8:58 AM
Cover it with plastic laminate (i.e. Formica, Wilsonart, etc). You can then use it as an assembly table also as glue will lift right off it and you can write notes on table with a pencil and wipe it off.

Cody Colston
10-10-2009, 12:59 PM
For a film finish, I'd use poly but Tony's advice for laminate is what I'd use.

Doug Mason
10-10-2009, 2:04 PM
For my outfeed table, the top of which is MDF, I use watco oil and wax. Very smooth, glue doesn't stick, quick, replacable and EASY. While it may look pretty and work well, for me personally, making a plastic laminate top is too much work/effort for an outfeed table.

Gary McNair
10-10-2009, 2:36 PM
I built a 6' long outfeed table and side extension table for my Contractors saw in 1989. I used laminate. It's performed very well and has become a great work surface. I've disassembled it several times thru various moves, it's still going strong, I would use it again in a heart beat.
BTW, leave enough of a lip around the edges, 1 1/2" +/-, so you can clamp to it
Gary