PDA

View Full Version : Wood magazine collection on DVD

Mark Elmer
10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

Have any of you been tempted to buy this set of DVDs?

woodstore.net/cowomacoondv.html

I am tempted to spring for the 5 volume set that covers 1984 to 2009.

It's $100 for the 5 disc set. Maybe if I leave the magazine open where SWMBO might see it? I wonder if I will be off the naughty list and on to the nice list by Christmas?

Wes Grass
10-10-2009, 1:53 AM
It's $150, and why 5 discs? FWW got all of theirs on 1.

Jeremy Thompson
10-10-2009, 2:46 AM
It's $150, and why 5 discs? FWW got all of theirs on 1.
Fine Woodworking DVD is pretty low quality PDFs. I'm going to assume that the Wood Magazine may be of a higher resolution PDF? Maybe they had more issues as well?

Josh Reet
10-10-2009, 3:13 AM
High quality scans do take up a lot of space. I'd rather have more discs and higher quality. Particularly for looking at cut or assembly diagrams.

And yes, I'm tempted to get them. Lots of good info in Wood. Though there would no doubt be a lot of repeats in 20+ years.

David Dockstader
10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
My woodworking club purchased them for our library - and I'm the librarian. We received the first 4 discs two weeks ago (the last one is scheduled for November). They are terrific. Each DVD has all the magazines for 5 years, plus an index in PDF format. They also each have Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1 on them in case you don't have that freeware. The files are great quality and, as an added bonus, there seems to be a button on each article that allows you to print just that article to a printer. This is a terrific value - and it allows us to save about 4 feet of shelf space in our library.