PDA

View Full Version : Polite forums & the others you can't join.

Kev Godwin
10-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I had been a lurker here for about 1 year and I am a member/contributer here for about 2-1/2 years. I didn't become a member here until I could watch the quality of the site for a while. I am sure glad I've found a good group of people here and that is my compliment to the members and the moderators.

Like many other people, I have interests other than WWing. I look at other forums because I have interests in the base subject. I have been watching one particular outdoor forum for about a year now and I really like a lot of the content. However, I can't join in because of the banter and unregulated attacks on their fellow members over petty opinions.

There sure is a lot of learning to be found on the net but sometimes I think some forums are best left alone regardless of the nice subject. I'm glad the Creekers here are supportive and freely give advice and perspective based on their own experience without taking personal issue with other members. That makes this a good home.

Agree or disagree? Good or bad comments on forums?
Kev

Steve Rozmiarek
10-10-2009, 1:43 AM
I'm here for that reason too Kev. The civility here is what makes this place. Good stuff. I like the use of real names too. I think it forces a more moderate attitude.

Rob Cunningham
10-10-2009, 7:42 AM
I'm here for that reason also. I've been to other WW forums and was stunned by the nasty comments, member bashing, and stupid arguments over petty things. We have a nice community here that I'm happy to be a part of.

Chuck Wintle
10-10-2009, 7:46 AM
I had been a lurker here for about 1 year and I am a member/contributer here for about 2-1/2 years. I didn't become a member here until I could watch the quality of the site for a while. I am sure glad I've found a good group of people here and that is my compliment to the members and the moderators.

Like many other people, I have interests other than WWing. I look at other forums because I have interests in the base subject. I have been watching one particular outdoor forum for about a year now and I really like a lot of the content. However, I can't join in because of the banter and unregulated attacks on their fellow members over petty opinions.

There sure is a lot of learning to be found on the net but sometimes I think some forums are best left alone regardless of the nice subject. I'm glad the Creekers here are supportive and freely give advice and perspective based on their own experience without taking personal issue with other members. That makes this a good home.

Agree or disagree? Good or bad comments on forums?
Kev

Yes I agree with you. What separates the good from bad forums is the treatment given to peoples opinions on any subject. There are a lot of bad forums out there though. In one forum consideration was given to deleting accounts that had no postings. No lurkers allowed perhaps?

Don Kondra
10-10-2009, 1:16 PM
Ditto...

But that "other" place is like a train wreak, every once in a while I have to go look :)

Cheers, Don

Greg Peterson
10-10-2009, 3:11 PM
There is one woodworking forum that is run by a bunch of Neoconfederates. So long as agree with them, you're in like Flyn. But heavens help you if your location is perceived to be a bastion of ideology that runs afoul of their ideology.

While their TOS clearly do not allow controversial topics, many of their topics turn into direct violations of the TOS. The moderators and other members on that site are openly hostile to anyone that points out their dual standard.

Alas, I gave up on that site. I also refuse to buy any materials published by the owner of the site.

SMC exercises common sense and latitude when threads devolve into matters that are in violation of the TOS. A warning or two is usually all that is required. Occassionally a thread is published that gets pulled very quickly.

The mods here do a great job of keeping things in line. SMC is a pleasant place to hang a hat.

Brian Ashton
10-10-2009, 8:49 PM
For years I belonged to a couple forums down here and tolerated the immaturity that was so prevalent and then I followed a link to this forum and instantly you could sense a significant increase in the level of maturity, social and civil awareness.

People still make mistakes on SMC (they are rare) but they make amends for them. I saw some real nasty things done to others on the other forums but you'd never see the perpetrator even try to put it right or care how their actions had affected others - if anything they would be defiant. In fact there was even others that would encourage the stupidity of the antagonists.

It's very eye opening to see how people will act when they hide behind a pseudonym. There are a number of them that lurk here but they keep their childishness to themselves.

Ravi Narasimhan
10-10-2009, 9:53 PM
I'm relatively new here but appreciate very much the civility and courtesy of the members. I got a very positive "vibe" from poking around and reading a lot of threads. I even bought from the Classifieds just a few days after joining because the members all seem to be mature, responsible, helpful people. I do agree that posting in one's real name encourages rational behavior.

I also belong to another site/forum that is similar in this regard. There isn't as much traffic on that one and it is moderated differently but it has its own charms.

Michael Wetzel
10-11-2009, 9:42 AM
The real name requirement is one of the reason this forum is different. The antics of people on other forums, where everyone hides behind an alias, can get annoying if nobody put them on a leash. This is the only WW forum I will read anymore.

Dennis Peacock
10-11-2009, 8:32 PM
All very good comments and greatly appreciate all the atta-boys for the moderators and site admins that help keep things cool.

It takes the general membership, the moderators, and the admins to keep SMC what it is and to keep it civil. Much appreciate everyone here that helps to ask questions, answer questions, offer advice, show off your work, and just yap and keep it all well mannered while in discussion. All of you are just good people. :)

Scott Hildenbrand
10-11-2009, 8:50 PM
Got to say, I've said dumb things here from time to time and have surely felt real stupid, but it's never been from a comment from any of the members. Just my own "Ah, crap, I can't believe I just said that" realization that what I said was completely off.. ;)

Rather nice to have a place where the learning curve doesn't come with ridicule, but correction and advice.

You'd think though that having a grandfather who was a cabinet maker, an avid DIY father and a high mechanical aptitude would have learnt me better though.. :D

jerry nazard
10-11-2009, 9:18 PM
This is a nice place, ripe with knowledge and pleasant people. As one of the other forums seemed to get increasingly out of hand, I noticed regulars from that forum participating more frequently here on SMC.

As my interests in woodworking continue to migrate toward handtools, I am thankful that good advice, and the camaraderie of fellow woodworkers, is available here on the Creek, 24/7.

Russ Filtz
10-13-2009, 9:03 AM
Every once in awhile, I like having (or watching) a good internet argument! I frequent a computer forum that allows political/religious/moral, etc. discussions and things can get a little heated. No personal attacks are allowed though, but still pretty rambunctious. In between all that, it's still pretty insightful as you get to see how the other side thinks (or not!). Hones your debating skills.

Still nice to have a civil place like this to call home though!

Montgomery Scott
10-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes SMC is very polite, for the most part, but it reminds me of the movie The Stepford Wives. Everyone is perfect and most everyone behaves exceptionally well, except for the fact that it's all contrived.

The people here aren't any better than other people, it's just that the moderators modify posts or ban people who write something they don't like. People are forced to play nice here. You definitely have to have thicker skin to be part of some of the other forums, but that's part of real life. Welcome to Stepford.

Bill Arnold
10-15-2009, 10:23 AM
... The people here aren't any better than other people, it's just that the moderators modify posts or ban people who write something they don't like. People are forced to play nice here. You definitely have to have thicker skin to be part of some of the other forums, but that's part of real life. Welcome to Stepford.
I've enjoyed SMC for several years and was a contributor for a few of them. I stayed away for a while as it became more commercial and participated in another Forum. I'm still active at the other Forum (which, of course can't be mentioned here for fear of being banished, although there are frequent references to SMC threads over there) and enjoy the non-commercial, no-pressure approach to running a Forum.
;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Montgomery,

It is not contrived.

Read the TOSs my man.

Moderators try to keep things within the boundaries established by the TOSs. We try to maintain some civility. We don't edit or delete anything we disagree with UNLESS it violates the TOSs.

The one caveat is that moderation actions cannot be discussed in public. Example...I delete or edit your post. You can't bring it up and flame my action or me in public. That will get you edited/deleted and probably "Guested" quickly. You can, however, argue in private using PMs or emails and you can surely go over a Moderator's head by going directly to Keith, Jackie or AAron, the Administrators.

Trying to maintain civility a sham? Hardly! The people forced to act nice? Maybe they are here because they want to play by the rules established by the TOSs.

Brian Kent
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Aah, Stepford Woodworkers!

We may not be nicer here than anywhere else, but I like a place where I can be my best self possible. It really helps to be able to revolve the conversation on a style or technique or procedure of woodworking.

That doesn't make me feel robotically smiley nice. It lets me get on with the business of talking about woodworking.

Brian Kent

Geoffrey Smith
10-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I am quite a new here, but I have seen nothing but respect and support up and down The Creek.

Like the OP (Kev) said, we all have other interests, and one of mine is games and the gaming industry. Mostly computer games, and some Xbox stuff, and I have been getting back into board gaming.

You ain't see nothing until you frequent some of these gaming related sites. Now, some are excellent, much like The Creek here, but some just seem to bring out the worst in humanity. I have learned to shrug off most of the ignorance and stupidity at those places.

It is certainly great to be part of such a fine community as this, where I don't have to worry about it!

Eddie Watkins
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree SMC does a good job of moderating and members are civil. I lurk more than post because usually somebody already has provided good answers to most issues. It is good to post without having somebody make personal attacks, tho.
On other forums I see the issue of a classic adult/child relationship. If somebody behaves as a child, somebody needs to be the adult. Address the issue, not the person. If they continue with personal assaults just "walk away" as they teach children in day care.:) Some of the arguments become road rage-like.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-15-2009, 1:20 PM
Yes SMC is very polite, for the most part, but it reminds me of the movie The Stepford Wives. Everyone is perfect and most everyone behaves exceptionally well, except for the fact that it's all contrived.

The people here aren't any better than other people, it's just that the moderators modify posts or ban people who write something they don't like. People are forced to play nice here. You definitely have to have thicker skin to be part of some of the other forums, but that's part of real life. Welcome to Stepford.

I've got to disagree with that. Sure there are rules, but anytime that a moderator edits a post, they add an edit by note. You just don't see those that often. In my experiance, it's happened to me twice that I remember, and I have a few posts. Once for a questionable joke, and another for a political remark. Not really ruling with a heavy hand, both of those are covered in the TOS.

I was a knot member for a while, and I think that it goes the other way over there. Kind of like a bad reality show. People will say things they never would in person or "real life"!

Kev Godwin
10-18-2009, 1:41 AM
Last evening I was again close to joining the original forum I mentioned in my original post on an outdoor forum and then some young lady had just joined and posted a question nearly identical to what I would have asked (posted).

I'm glad I didn't. The people on that backpacking forum attacked her for what they considered to be not up to par for their liking and did not fit with their "nature politics". I did search on-line and also found that forum to have the highest number of views compared to other similar sites. (They have more political commentary than they have on backpacking - their supposed focus.)

I'm not going there again. The members (and the mods and admins) here on the Creek are top tier compared to many other forums. Thanks to everyone for support and advice. I'll continue to get my woodworking advice here.:) (I won't ask for any backpacking advice here.:rolleyes:)
Kev

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 2:06 AM
Interesting discussion. I have no problem with the forums where snorting and chest beating take precedence over the focus-topic discussions. I don't generally visit them more than once because they're not what I am after. As to the Creek being restrictive, there have been some actions and some discussions here that would fit in better "over there" but that doesn't mean they don't belong.

Its the differences that make it interesting. That doesn't mean I think its right for somebody spout the virtues of not using a splitter or push sticks just because he hasn't for 30 years and has only lost 2 fingers; that's just not responsible. I am, however, OK with the philosophy that every tool in the shop is a hammer except for the chisel . . . ; that's a screwdriver. Vive le différence !

Tom Veatch
10-18-2009, 3:43 AM
Every once in awhile, I like having (or watching) a good internet argument! I frequent a computer forum that allows political/religious/moral, etc. discussions and things can get a little heated. ...

My online woodworking forum experiences began with an unmoderated usenet group in the "alt" collection that has "woodworking" in it's name but really should be named alt.political.cussout-the-conservatives/liberals-take-your-pick. The political arguments and personal attacks outnumber by a fairly wide margin any posts that have anything to do with woodworking. That's why I'm here.

I have noticed a few posts in SMC from people I recognize from that group (the vast majority of whom go by handles or pseudonyms) but the one's I recognized got their hands slapped by a moderator for doing here what they were in the habit of doing over there. Haven't seen any evidence of them since. Reckon they went back where they can freely vent their road rage. I would say "good riddance", but that would be ungracious and disrespectful. But to be perfectly honest, I don't find myself missing them very much.

Kudos to the moderators and especially to the denizens of the creek who keep things pleasant, respectful, civil, and pretty much on topic.

Brian Ashton
10-18-2009, 6:38 AM

I find it the opposite. In real life face to face conversation people act quite civilized (obviously this is a generalization). When you go to other forums you find the social and civil retardedness comes out of people because they're hiding behind a screen and or name - they rarely have the guts to act like that in person. There were times on the other forums I would seriously wonder if some of the posters were out of their heads when they logged in things got that bad. Whereas here the actions are more as to what to expect from people you'd hang out with at the local woodworkers club. Maybe you live in a contrived life and therefore this place doesn't seem real...

John Shuk
10-18-2009, 8:14 AM
Contrived? I strive to be as nice and kind as the others I meet here. I respect the people here. Creekers are many things to mant people but I find them to be mentors in most ways. For much more than woodworking.

Russ Filtz
10-18-2009, 9:10 AM
I view the different styles somewhat like Disney World, School, and adult entertainment.

SMC falls into the Disney/School approach where everyone is welcome and it's educational. Yet adults sometimes like to go to the bar, get drunk, and act like idiots. There's a place for everything!

The PC forum I mentioned above has quite separate forums for the PC related forums (Disney/School moderated), but they also have a more adult "Off Topic" area which is subscription only, hence more adult discussions are tolerated but still moderated heavily. However, within this area there is another layer of subforums which is even more wild west where all the political/religious/moral discussions go. But even in this third layer, personal attacks are a no-no (a fair fight, no eye-gouging, no hair pulling!). Seems to work pretty well, yet still allow for "thorough" discussions of these critical subjects related to society as a whole. You can't stick your head in the sand and pretend these emotional topics don't need aired out. Promotes critical thinking as most subjects are not binary, they a multiple shades of grey.

Jim Rimmer
10-18-2009, 8:22 PM
(I won't ask for any backpacking advice here.:rolleyes:)Kev
You could always go to the Off Topic Forum.