PDA

View Full Version : Aligning Text

Frank Defert
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am laying out a file that has four words, with each word comprised of a different number of letters. Each word goes in a separate box and I can centre the word and all looks ok.
But now I want to space the letters evenly from top to bottom in the box no matter how many there are in the word. It is the last step maybe a click or two?

Any help is appreciated.

Frank

Dave Johnson29
10-10-2009, 12:09 AM
But now I want to space the letters evenly from top to bottom in the box no matter how many there are in the word. It is the last step maybe a click or two?

Hi Frank, not totally sure I understand the problem, but just use one text block and press "Enter" at the end of each word.

Mark all of the text and select Align > Center and that will have all 4 words center aligned.

Then adjust the Leading to space the words vertically.

John Noell
10-10-2009, 3:22 PM
Are the letters or each word arranged vertically? And essentially you want four columns (i.e. words) of letters? I'd probably make each letter a separate block, then use align and distribute to quickly make each column line up and take the same amount of vertical distance regardless of the number of letters in the block. Changing the line spacing would work but not as accurate and quick.

Frank Defert
10-10-2009, 5:55 PM
Yes the words are vertical and they are each in their own box. What I want to do now is spread out the letters evenly in the box ( from top to bottom ) reguardless of how many letters there are.

Scott Shepherd
10-10-2009, 6:48 PM
Frank, see this thread :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115329&highlight=kerning

In the photo I posted on there, specifically look at Position #2. Grab that handle and pull it and see if it does what you want.

I know the text in that photo is horizontal, but it shouldn't matter, just pull that handle down.

Frank Defert
10-10-2009, 7:34 PM
Scott,

That's got it! There is a handle for horizontal and one for vertical. Works great.

Thanks Frank :)