PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment center plans for a 60" projection TV

Dan McLaughlin
09-21-2004, 4:41 PM
Has anyone run across plans for a EC for a 60" projection TV? LOML is looking for one that has doors to close off the TV (as opposed to a left and right storage unit with a bridge over the top of the TV). Everything I can find with doors is for a 30-35" TV :( We haven't been able to find a ready made one either. They max out around 57" TV which is too short and not deep enough - not to mention way too expensive :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 7:01 PM
Can you just adjust some of the designs you found for the 57" TVs? Adding 3" to the design shouldn't be a huge deal I would think.

Paul Comi
09-21-2004, 8:27 PM
Chris I agree. That's what I would do as well. Draw that thing up in Sketchup and use the scaling feature to just "pull" it to the right height or width needed.

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Paul,

That would be nice but I'm guessing he doesn't have Sketch-Up! :) It seems to be a wonderful program but darn it if I just can't stomach the price tag...right now. :) Maybe you are volunteering your services to Dan?? :D :D ;)

Dan McLaughlin
09-22-2004, 11:04 AM
You are right Chris. Sketch-up is nice but the bucks involved would be better spent in toys..er tools right now. The 57"inch ECs that I've seen (not up close and personal) are from furniture mfgs like Hooker. The real problem is that, with the advent of LCD and plasma TVs, and as the price of the those decreases, the demand for large rear projection TVs like the one we have will decrease and so will the supply of large ECs made by furniture companies. I'm not comfortable enough yet to develop my own designs from scratch. This may be an interesting project. Where do you live Paul ? ;) Just kidding

Hal Flynt
09-22-2004, 11:06 AM
No plans here. But I have been working on building something for a 43" DLP that's 15 1/2" deep. The big advantage initially was the relative "thinness" making it feasible to build a cabinet less than 24" deep.

Some problems with design are:

Traditional doors will be too wide to slide or fold back.

Golden proportions don't fit.

Viewing height on rear projection is fairly critical (meaning you sight height needs to be approximately the middle of the screen or the brightness drops way off.)

In my case, the base needs to be at or below 24" to put the center of the screen at the average viewing height. This is where I had to change my original plan of scaling up a traditional Armoire style. The TV would be too high. And it doesn't "look right".

I have built the main carcass for a base unit that is 60" wide by 20" deep by 24" high. This has 3 cubes of 17.5 + each for components and media storage. The TV will sit on top with a case that is 45" wide by 17" deep by 45" tall. The center channel speaker sits above the TV. Total height is 69" (OS Dimensions). Doors for the top unit will have to Bi or Tri-fold or leave off currently.

If I had the wall space (I have 61" between 2 windows), I would make a unit for the TV that was 45"wide by 70" and put an equipment tower beside it. The narrowest a tower could be is about 17.5" inside by the depth of you largest component plus 3"+/_ for wiring etc.

For now I will leave doors off. I may add them once I can design some that look pleasing and do what I want them to do (IE look good closed and look good open.)

Good luck!

Dan McLaughlin
09-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Hal The dimensions that I need for the basic TV will be about 52" w x 60" h x 31" deep. On top of that, I need two decent size shelves for components. On each side, I looking at a 15" media/display piece to hold CDs,DVDs etc and object d'art that LOML wants to display. These two section (one on each side) will be stepped back and be a combination of both drawers and shelves.
Both the component section and the TV will have doors that both fold and slide back. AS my LOML says, "that should be simple" :eek: What else would you expect from a lawyer? Only legal documents are complicated :rolleyes:

Hal Flynt
09-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Ask her to draw it out to scale :D That should be simple for a lawyer. ;)

I found out that by getting SWMBO to agree to assist in building her requested projects, 2 things happend. She gained a greater sense of what the project really involves and my "honey do" list went down.

The 31" depth allows for doors spanning the 52" width with some room for mechanisms.

If you found a plan you like that are just too narrow, then the advice of making all the horizontal pieces the windth you need should prove fairly straightforward, just don't forget the joinery dimensions.

Ronnie Byers
11-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Dan, Here a idea for your EC. This is a 62" Mitsubishi DLP.

Lars Thomas
11-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I love the new thinner TV's but they certainly present some challenges when it comes to cabinetry...Also don't forget the components are now often deeper than the TV. Often the receiver will be the deepest, don't forget to allow room for the inter-connects in the back. Some of them (tos-link) will need 2"-3".

Mike Vermeil
11-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Dan,

Here's a link to an EC I built a while ago for a customer with a rear projection big-screen TV. Don't let the color throw you off - look mainly at the TV portion. Rather than doing doors, the face frame w/ false drawer fronts attaches to the carcass with spring clips so that only the actual TV screen is showing. It's sort of a compromise approach - the TV is not completely concealed when turned off, but we didn't have to deal with very large doors.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24602

Pam Niedermayer
11-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I suggest you just build it a new room, let it all hang out in that TV room, allows for some peace and quiet in the rest of the house.

Pam

Chris Padilla
11-18-2005, 7:25 PM
Dan, Here a idea for your EC. This is a 62" Mitsubishi DLP.

Ronnie,

That is pretty slick...love the bi-fold, tuck 'em away doors. I'm sure there is a correct name for them...just don't know it! :)