PDA

View Full Version : Game Calls

Joseph M Lary
10-09-2009, 9:03 PM
I have been working on a few call for my friends,duck calls & deer calls let me know what you think. the deer calls are cherry , leopardwood,cocobolo and the duck call are made of some plasitc that i have been messing around with .

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Joseph - everything looks really nice! Don't see many deer calls! Those look great! On your duck calls - it that solid surface material - as for counter tops? Asking because I have only seen it in 1/2" thicknesses - so figure you must have glued some together to get the size you wanted for turning.

Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2009, 4:38 PM
Great looking calls Joseph. Very well done.

Jack Mincey
10-10-2009, 6:00 PM
The calls all look great. If they sound as good as they look they should make some hunters very happy.
Jack

Aaron Wingert
10-11-2009, 1:28 AM
Your duck calls have a very unique shape to them! I like seeing something that is a break from the norm! What guts are you using, or are you making your own?

If you haven't, you should check out the THO callmakers web forum and the CCO (custom calls online) web forum. Both are great groups of helpful people that make calls, especially THO.

Joseph M Lary
10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Steve, The duck calls are made of composite decking I did have to glue it up. and i had tried several glues most would come appart in the lathe.
They where fun to do. Im working on a hollowing system so I can try hollow forms got the bar and cutter form craft supply the other day .

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting - most of the composite decking I have seen was hollow. Did you have to cut sections out to glue? What glue worked? I would think that the decking would be close to ABS and harder than heck to hold together. Wonder if the manufacturer offers a product for gluing their decking?

Watch out for the hollowing stuff! It can be extremely addicting because the results are so different from everything else! Have fun with it!

Joseph M Lary
10-11-2009, 6:56 PM
It a product like TREX but that isnt what I used ,cant remember the name of it, just some old samples that we had lying around they might not even be in business anymore .CA glue worked the best I try Gorrilla glue but it would not hold .

One of the vendors wanted me to make him some calls out of his product but he hasnt sent it to me yet . That how it all started

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2009, 7:01 PM
Joseph - have you thought of trying contact cement? Seems that stuff - when done correctly - would not let loose - no matter what!